Vintage Look- A #vintagegalsmake Dress and a ramble about the farm


I finished my first dress for the #vintagegalsmake challenge (see HERE )weeks ago, but it has just been too darn chilly to wear it outside! It is just a simple farm dress from a pattern that I have made before, but I was so happy to make it with this winsome fabric. On this day I was going to the barn to check on my baby chicks (want a peek at the cuteness? Look HERE) and decided to take some pictures with the great rusty bits down there.
This great old truck is my favorite color- blue + rust! It belongs to the youth leader at our church, Mr Eddy. That man is the epitome of Christian love and caring, and one of my personal heroes. My son is working on it for him in his spare time. Until then it is sitting there looking cool.
This is the door to the auto shop attached to the barn. Behind this door is where my pop and I fixed up my 1937 Chevy when I was in high school. Such good memories. Now it is my middle son's lair and is holding his 1947 De Soto.
Yet another vehicle sitting about, waiting it's turn for attention. This is one that Seth is keeping for a friend. And it's blue, so I like it ;)
The barn and the surrounding yard have always been a great haunt to dig for treasures. The barn holds old furniture, bottles, car parts...you name it. And outside are farm implements faded into the brush. Here is the old manure spreader, looking sculptural now that it is only a skeleton.
In the barn is my great-grandpa's model M tractor. It passed down to my pop, and is the one I used to ride on with him while he plowed or hauled wood. Then my boys got to do the same. My son is hoping to get her running again some day.
After checking the chicks and digging on rusty stuff, I was headed back over the fence toward home. My pop made a stile so that I wouldn't have to climb through the fence to go see the kids (Seth and Em are building their house by the barn). And so they (and any future grandbabies!!!) can go over the fence to see me. A stile is basically a step ladder built in place. As I was climbing it this day, I was standing on the upper step and thinking about taking a flying leap off. But as I leaned forward I felt a little resistance. Thank goodness I stopped and looked, because the hem of my new dress was snagged on the barbed wire! I tear so many dresses that way :(
 Tater dog caught up with me as I crossed the field home. And she was carrying a rock as big as her head. This critter has a rock fetish. She gets in trouble for bringing these monsters into the yard for Duane to try to mow over. And then she lays there and chews on them. Nails on a blackboard do nothing for me, but that sound is horrible. She is crazy and persistent. The rock was so big she had to set it down multiple times and get a new grip. She must have jowl muscles like Duane "The Rock" Johnson.............Sorry! I got to envisioning the Rock's muscles and lost my train of thought!
It was a lovely time puttering about in my new dress (that, so far, is not ripped, torn, or stained!). This is my third time to make this pattern, New Look 6557. Here are the other two farm dresses sewn from it. I made these back when Walmart had gingham for a dollar a yard! 
 This time I changed the neckline, added length, and pockets. I'm so glad I did. It fits perfectly, is just the right length, and those pockets! My son and hubby said they liked the dress very well before I added the "clown" pockets. I tried to tell them that pockets for a woman are so handy and unusual, they might as well stand out and be appreciated. They didn't understand.
But I knew I was right the first time I went to gather eggs. This is five in one pockets, y'all!
So, just some silly ramblings and a happy new farm dress. Do you live on a place that accumulates trash/treasures/junk? It's just a good thing I like old, rusty, and broken down~

Comments

  1. Oh Sam, I just love that blue floral fabric so much! Your dress is perfect for your farm.

    I can't say I've ever heard of a dog carrying around rocks before but in my experience most dogs who have something to chew on are happy dogs. I think it's hilarious.

    Thank you for another fun post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I've been enjoying the dress so much! And Tater is a funny dog, just a little peculiar. Will has tried to break her of it by throwing bones, sticks, tennis balls, etc. But she just loves her rocks ;)!

      Delete
  2. Awww, I love everything about your farm! And the dress is just perfect, with the red pockets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Wendy-bird! The dress makes me just happy looking at it. And aren't you and I just blessed to have country and creeks to play in? :)

      Delete
  3. I love your dress - and those pockets are wonderful! Perfect for egg gathering on the farm! I love the rusty treasures on your farm. I would be in heaven! (I'm the stalker who posted on your Facebook page that I had been enjoying going back through and reading your blog. Now I'm also enjoying your new posts! I loved your tutorial on canning jelly. Canning is on my bucket list of things to learn and I hope to start with jelly now that I've seen how to do it!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, hello again! My "stalker" huh? You seem a lot more sweet than scary :). Thank you so much for your kind words. Our farm is deeply seeded in my heart. I'm so tickled that you are wanting to start canning! And that you liked my corny video- it was my first one and I'm pretty awkward anyway ;). I think making jelly is the best way to start. It is easy, and yields delicious results that everybody will love. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hey, sugar, I'd love to hear from you! If, for some odd reason, this won't let you comment, please send me a message at mssamwearsdresses@gmail.com. Thanks a ton!

Popular Posts