May Decorations 2019

I've told you before that I decorate for every month. It doesn't make any difference if there is an actual holiday in that time; I'll make something up to celebrate if need be. May has Mother's Day, but that is not something that brings a theme to mind. Instead, May has always make me think of green and growing things. Right now the scene outside my window is of such a verdant color that it only comes about in spring. The grass and field and trees almost stun the eye with the truest green to ever bless a crayon box.

I have three porches, and at the top of every post is the fluff of a nest. Some neat as a tailor's, others a mess of everything from hydrangea blossoms to owl feathers. So, green and growing, bird's nest and eggs, lichens and moss, mushrooms and bulbs, have always been my theme for May.

Squeaky is holding a nature card and has realized that the word "squirrel" is nearly as hard to spell as his own name.

Beside him on the buffet is my great-grandfather's bee smoker. My father used it on his bees, then passed it to me for mine. 
Squeaky claims that the little book from 1910 is actually the autobiography of his great-great-grand-squirrel, but he has been known to fib. The piece of knot wood with the carved mushroom was made by my pop.


My table usually has glass cloches with nests beneath them parading down the table. But I told you how much I have just been enjoying my flowers.

Instead, I put my nests along the backside of my sideboard. That way I can still sit dishes and drinks out on it, but I have my beloved decorations also. I want to note- I did not take any of these nests! Nests are used for multiple years by some birds and should be left in place. Other nests are systematically deconstructed by other birds and their materials reused. NEVER remove a nest. So where did mine come from? During bad storms and high winds nests are often knocked from tree. These are usually left where they lay, and often rained into the ground or torn apart by animals. Windfall nests are fine to take. Some will even have eggs or shells still inside. Just be aware- if you take a nest immediately into your house you may subject yourself to mites. These are small insects that can live in bird's feathers and bite like fleas! I either put the nest in the wellhouse for a good while before bringing in, or put it in a ziplock bag and pop in the freezer for a month or two. 


The ferns and daffodils were from the Dollar Tree. All the clay mushrooms were made by me from my son's pottery clay which he fired for me.

I always decorate in front of my mirror, and here I am using the little white shelf that I got for a dollar at a yard sale (thank you for telling me about it, Ms Jenny!). 


The pottery bowl with the fern impressed into it was another of my creations.

On the shelf is one of my favorite postcards in my collection.

I love the daring photo and caption...


 I also love that it was sent to my Great-great Aunt Jessie, whom I have mentioned many times before, in 1910.

This 1933 seed catalog and the old seed packets were in some of my Grandma Tommy's things. 
 I love this photo of a young girl in a 20's sailor dress. She is kneeling in a rose garden.

This photo is one of a group of dapper men in a public garden and they are being quite ornery. One is even pretending to whack over a large plant with his cane!

On the Victrola I have a vintage nut dish made of a solid chunk of walnut filled with moss and decorated with a tiny birdhouse and a hummingbird's nest.
  Look how tiny and perfectly woven it is! It is made entirely of wire-like cow hairs.

On my kitchen table I put out a platter with a tiny tea party on it. May is also the most blissful time for picnics and eating al fresco. The sweet little picnic basket was a gift from a dear friend (Hello, Ms Wendy-bird!) years and years ago. And the little tin tea set graced with sassy kitties was from my own dear moma. The scene makes me think of the tea parties I used to have the in the yard when I was small. I was generally hostess to my pup dog and pet chicken that fell off a chicken truck and we rescued. They were very good party guest!

And I have finally taken off the flannel sheets and comforter in my bedroom! Just in time for a “Blackberry Winter” where the night temps drop back down to real chilliness ;). I put on cotton sheets, my woven blanket and favorite quilt, and changed out my barkcloth curtains for my lace.

And since the weather has been finally warm enough for sundresses (granted, often with a sweater over them), I changed out winter hats for summer ones. Just looking at the top of the bookcase makes me smile!

I am filled to the brim with gardening and growing and the much awaited change of seasons. What better way to celebrate it indoors than with a refreshing of the décor? Do you change out rooms for the seasons? What are your springtime rituals?

The world's favorite season is spring. All things seems possible in May. ~Edwin Way Teale

Comments

  1. I love how you decorate for May. I have always wanted to use found bird nests but was always told not too because of what critters might be lurking in them. Now I know to put them in a ziplock baggie and freeze them. The next time my little boy brings me a bird nest he finds on the ground I will know what to do. He will be thrilled! Now I'm off to try my hand at decorating for May! Take care - Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Ms Rhonda! Yes, nests can have some nasties in them. We've raised lots of fallen baby birds and sometimes they have mites. They have to have a cage hung outside on the porch; the clean ones get to be inside and get loved on. I know your little guy would be delighted to have a nest to keep! I had three boys, but they are all grown- and will all be married by May's end. Do you have any other kiddos? Have fun with your May decorating!

      Delete
    2. I actually have four kiddos and two grands! My daughter is married and has a son (5) and a daughter (1). She's 30. Then three boys - 28, 20 and 8! We spread them out so we wouldn't ever have an empty nest! Actually, son number three was a happy surprise - he keeps us young!

      Delete
    3. You are so blessed! Mine are 24, 23, and 20. No grandbabies yet, but I'm ready for whenever it happens ;). Wow, you did spread them out! But I bet it's a joy to have one left at home while all the others are off being grown-ups. I know an empty nest is going to feel very strange come the end of May...

      Delete
  2. Lovely decor, as always...can't wait to see you wear some of your summer hats! Love ya, moma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miss Wendy gave me a similar little picnic basket a few years ago. So sweet that they made her think of you and me.

    I change for the season rather than for the month...so only four times a year. And even then it's rarely a whole house change. I'm so indecisive that I never change things the same time every year & some years I just skip seasons....because I love what's up or I just never get it done. I used to dream of sticking to the holidays & seasons but as I've aged I've decided to enjoy what I get done & seriously let go of what

    Nests are something I have a hard time ever putting away. I love having them out all year long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ms Wendy is so thoughtful! It was really fun to decorate for all the months when the boys were small because they got excited to help, and liked the new look. Now I am like you, I decorate to suit myself. If sometimes it doesn't get done, or, like Easter, is greatly pared back, that's just fine! :)

      Delete
  4. Isnt May just a lovely time?... I have 2 children born this month, which makes it doubly so. Such delightful decor! I just adore your squirrel! ...
    I think my inlaws had the same nutdish that you're using...you are so creative!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, sweeite, and happy "birthing days"! ;). I tell the kids it is their birth day, but my birthing day- just as special. Yes, May is a glorious month!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hey, sugar, I'd love to hear from you! If, for some odd reason, this won't let you comment, please send me a message at mssamwearsdresses@gmail.com. Thanks a ton!

Popular Posts