Vintage halo twist hair tutorial VIDEO

I have had so many requests for a tutorial on how to do this hairstyle- even at Wal-mart, the dentist, or church. But now Ms Angie (A Very Vintage Farmgirl) and Ms Susan have both asked for a tutorial on a vintage hairstyle. So here it is- VIDEO AT BOTTOM OF POST! This is a lovely way to put up your hair, and is especially great for those days when it is dirty or frizzy. However, I have never been able to explain in words how to create the twists. I try, and the poor souls looks at me with tilted head and squinted brow, and I know they have no clue what I am trying to describe. Thus the idea was born for a video tutorial! How nice it would be to be able to tell those hair-hopefuls- "I have a video for that!" So the pictures below show after the hair is twisted and how it looks. You need to watch the video to understand the twist. And please don't hate me!! I'll be the first to say that I hollered, and stomped, and was all kinds of mad trying to make this hair style. I even swore never to try again! But I am so glad that I persisted; it is now one of my favorite quick (once you get it!;) styles...
Here it is, having been divided at my part and twisted down the sides of my head and then down to the ends of the hair like two pigtails.
Then you cross the twists and lay it alongside the twist against the head and pin up like a halo encircling the head.
What I love is that it looks like an ornate braid from the side, but I can't do braids! Such a great cheat!
 Back, where it crosses...
And the top of the crown. I just really love this  and hope that you will exercise the patience that I am so sorely lacking to execute this style. I try to give every single hint and tip I can think of that I came up with in the video, to make it easier on you than it was on me. If you have any questions, just ask. But if you need to scream, please do it at the houseplants and not me! And, sugar, if you do this send me a picture. I'd love to see your sweet self wearing a "halo"!

UPDATE! Ms Susan did a fantastic job creating the Halo Twist on her daughter's hair. Isn't she just an angel? I love that red hair :). So, it is possible, folks, don't give up! 


(Okay, I've had this video up on YouTube for some time now, but haven't shared with you, because it's pretty terrible. At one point we had to cut and rejoin the video because the hubby opens the door and asks where his stocking cap is. I'm just a tad distracted after that...bear with me ;)
k

Comments

  1. Thank you so much for this video! One day, I will, figure this out!😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are the reason it finally got done! Hang in there, when you finally "get it" it is so easy :)

      Delete
  2. I would never have known this wasn't a braid! I've always loved this hairstyle & I imagine it's perfect for hot summer days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always envied those elaborate braids, but I am hopeless! A twist is something even I can do, and it is lovely for summer days :)

      Delete
  3. Oh Ms Sam! You make me want to grow my hair out :) Such a wonderful tutorial and easy to follow. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like it! If your hair is below chin-length I think you could make both ends meet in the back. Is it shorter than that? Maybe you can do it on a child! ;)

      Delete
    2. Oh yes! Much shorter! I have a pixie, but I am starting to grow it out. My youngest daughter has long hair though. Maybe I will try it out on her :) She'll love it!

      Delete
    3. I bet your pixie is adorable! But maybe you could try it on your daughter- look back up at the post for some new pics of Ms Susan's daughter. She did a terrific job on recreating this look on her! :)

      Delete
  4. Ohhhh, thank you SO much!!! My daughter and I have watched your video, now off to try it on her hair!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, sugar! I hope so much that you have success with it. I think it would be much easier to figure out on someone else's head than your own. Good luck!! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hey, sugar, I'd love to hear from you! If, for some odd reason, this won't let you comment, please send me a message at mssamwearsdresses@gmail.com. Thanks a ton!

Popular Posts