#vintagegalsmake - A Crafting Challenge for you vintage loving gals!

I've already told you that I am excited to sew some things this spring/summer. Well, as if I didn't have enough piles of patterns to choose from, I found two vintage 1940's patterns and couldn't resist. I mean, really, how could you not leap on these like a chicken on a June bug? These are originals, not reprints, and I would have been super sad to never see these again.


And then I might have a gotten a tiny bit of fabric...  
I wrote that in a whisper, because it's really just shameful. If you remember when I was making my Dottie Angel dress HERE I said that if I was ever killed in a strange and unusual way, it would be from my attic caving in under the weight of hidden fabric and smothering me. What a way to go! ;) Honestly, I didn't get much. I took cloth that I already had and got some bits to coordinate with them. And then I got a teeny bit of others... Anyhoo! 
I intend to start this sewing thing gently. I want to take this gorgeous quilt square I found for a dollar and sew a "frame" for it so I can use it as a centerpiece on my kitchen table. Baby steps, people!

Suffice to say I have patterns; I have fabric; I have thread, rickrack, buttons, laces... All I lack is the will. I can't ever seem to make myself take that first terrifying cut. I have literally sat with a pattern and fabric in my lap for over an hour and admired it. But did it get pinned and cut? Hey- quit rushing me! 
Next I want to make a housedress for the farm, just to get back into the swing of sewing clothing. This is a pattern I have made several times before. It's just been years since the last time...

I had seen on Pinterest and some blog sites how there were often vintage sewing contests. There was often a theme, such as make a 50's dress, or crochet 40's pattern. But, of course, when I went looking for one to join, they were all from years past. I was sad, then belligerent. By golly, I thought, I will start my own. And that will surely galvanize me to commitment! But how exactly does one do such a thing? There were lots of hashtags (I have yet to understand what they do. I am so old that the symbol either means a number or a pound to me.) and lots of communal facebook boards, etc. No clue about any of that. 
This fabric is my choice for the topmost pattern. I just can't decide whether it should be gingham skirt and sleeves with a blue rose bodice, or the other way around...

So, here is my proposition, Dear Reader. We will start the first week of April and go through the 15th of June. I thought to open the contest on April the 1st, but I thought it was a bit much to pledge to start sewing on All Fool's Day:). We will being today, and continue to June 15th. At that time I would love to make a post showing all the things that we ladies have completed! I will also figure out the logistics of getting your photos as time goes on...
This may end up in the second 1940's pattern. I'd use the floral ditsy print for the main body, then either the red or the blue for cuffs and collar. The picture doesn't show a pocket, but I am dying to use the quilt star my Great-Granny made as a decoration. And of course rickrack and sweet buttons!



 If you would like to participate, leave a comment below stating what it is that you intend on making. It can be multiple things if you are feeling brave. I am open to all type of handicrafts, but they should have a vintage feel to them. This could be  sewing a piece of vintage style clothing, doing crosstitch (I'm looking at you StitchThrifty!), crochet, knitting, embroidery, quilting. Maybe this will help to galvanize you to actually begin, or perhaps finish, that project you have been dreaming of.
I have had this reproduction pattern for several years and never found the right fabric. I recently went to Hobby Lobby and Joann's and didn't see any that I liked. Then I went to a thrift store and found this fabric in a basket. Not only is it the perfect fabric and print for this 40's dress, but the amount of fabric is exactly how much I needed!!


 If you post pictures of your progress, or finished item, on social media, use the hashtag #vintagegalsmake. I am going to figure out how that works if it kills me (a great probability). This is not a contest to see who is best at any of these things. It is to create, encourage, and share. But I can't do this without having a prize! At the end of our time I will choose my favorite handmade item and send out a prize. So when you comment below, if your comment will show up as anonymous, please leave a name or nickname so I can recognize you as we go along.
This is another reproduction pattern I had for a while. But the fabric I've had for at least ten years ;) Then I saw a 1930's dress on Pinterest that was in almost this exact fabric- Eureka! And I just so happen to have vintage trim, and a buttons and buckle set from that time period. However, this will definitely be the last dress I sew. It is a slippery, hard to sew fabric, and a trickier pattern. But while we're dreaming...


So, what do you say, darlin', shall we encourage each other to be creative and make the things we are only dreaming of ? If you are game to follow along with me, comment below with your name and plans, and let's get to making!

Comments

  1. This might be the gentle kick in the .... I need to get my sewing started again. I have fabric, I have thread, and buttons and everything I need, I think, but it seems I'll just do it tomorrow or next week, never today.
    I'm not sure what I'll make, yet.
    It'll be fun watching what you and others will make.
    #vintagegalsmake, yes!
    Best wishes, and thanks for your fun, interesting blog!
    Helene, in games known as Xazzee :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the encouragement and kind words, Ms Helene! I hope you don't just watch, but that you make that terrifying first cut ;). I'm starting on a teeny little project to hopefully get the gears turning. Hope you enjoy see what we all come up with!

      Delete
    2. Hey, Ms Sam! What a wonderful idea! I too have buttons, zippers, fabric (I actually just got rid of a bunch of odds and ends that I know I'm never going to use), and patterns. Just need a nudge and I do believe this is it! I will have to report back on what I'm going to make as I need to go through my stash. There's also a top of I've been dying to crochet and also a crocheted jacket I've been itching to do.

      May I make a suggestion? I suggest you flip flop your fabric and pattern choices on the first two. That is, use the floral print for the dress of the first pattern instead of the second, and then use your Great-Granny's star in place of the tulip for the pocket. Then, on the second dress, I would use the red gingham for the skirt and yoke and the floral for the bodice. Just an idea :)

      I adore the fabric for the reproduction 40's dress. It's perfect!

      I'm so excited! I hope that I'm actually able to complete some things!

      Delete
    3. Oh, I'm so excited to see what you do! My Grandma Betty has tried to teach me to crochet- she is a wonder at it! However, I get so tense and upset that it is not a happy thing for me. and there are so many vintage crochet patterns for sweaters that I would swoon if I could make! I also have stacks of vintage crochet and knitting patterns from the 20's-50's. If you are ever at a loss for inspiration maybe I could copy some for you!

      Delete
    4. Hello, Ms Jenn! I just wanted to let you know that I created a special Facebook group called Ms. Sam's Vintage Gals Make where we can share pictures and comments about our works in progress. Hope to see you there!

      Delete
    5. Hello, Ms Helene! I just wanted to let you know that I created a special Facebook group called Ms. Sam's Vintage Gals Make where we can share pictures and comments about our works in progress. Hope to see you there!

      Delete
  2. Oh Sam I do hope you get a good response. I'd love to see what everyone makes. Myself? I cannot sew, much to the great disappointment of my mother. I fight too much with my sewing machine.

    The hashtags are for Instagram. Are you on Instagram? I love it but didn't realize you were there?

    Also, do you mind if I share this post on my Gentle Domesticity group? They are fabulous seamstresses doing all kinds of sewing, needlework & home cooking/canning/baking. If I share it you may get more participants than you bargained for. ....Do they need to have their own blog to participate?

    I so love your blog & look forward to each post. (I guess this means you can't back out now....you have at least one follower anticipating June 15th!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, you are right, no backing out now! But that was the exact reason I wanted to do it. So hashtags are for Instagram? No, I don't do that. But even Ms Wendy was talking about them for the wedding...I assumed that was for Facebook. Oh well, I can still look at other folks pics if they post on Instagram ;). And, yes, I would be honored if you would share it with your group! Could you just share it from my blog post so they will have the link? I really want to try to keep all the comments and info here on the blog, so I can keep track of it. Thank you for your never-ending encouragement, dear friend!

      Delete
    2. Absolutely I'll share the blog post. I shared your chicken and chorizo recipe today in a cooking group I'm in. I may be your biggest fan...after your sweet moma of course.

      Delete
    3. Awww, you have always been so sweet to me! Thank you so much. And you are definitely my oldest "fan" ;), you knew about the blog years before anyone else!

      Delete
  3. Well well! I am astonished at the fabrics and notions you have. What a delight. My only catch will be figuring out a budget to sew my items. Perhaps instead of a reproduction fabric (that is love to use costs a small fortune and needless to say I need 8 yards of the stuff), I shall use some flat bed sheets. My choices are an 1880’s day dress, a pattern similar to what Tasha Tudor wore daily. The other outfit is a Victorian blouse and walking skirt. I think I will also throw in some undergarments too. A chemise and some bloomers. Those will be humorous to model... Teehee... Hey! Someone build me a bathhouse stat! Love you, Sam!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 8 yards-- Good gracious!! I think using something other than the expensive fabric will be great to see and very inspiring. I knew you would be doing that era of clothing and cann't wait to see what patterns you choose. A chemise and bloomers- squeal! You are giving me envy and we haven't even started yet ;) Love you, sugar!

      Delete
  4. Those dresses are to die for! I wish I could sew. I could learn, but knowing me it would just collect dust.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't have to sew, didn't you tell me that you knit or crochet? I would love to see something that you make! Even a tiny little doily makes me so happy, and jealous of those folks who can make them ;)

      Delete
  5. Yes! I am in! I got excited and cut out the muslin for my Decades Of Style 1940's Empire Waist Trousers and then it occurred to me I should probably chime in here so you know I am joining you :) I am active-ish on Instagram and very active in Facebook Sewing groups. If you start a sewing group please let me know! Hashtags using the pound sign work on both of those media platforms as well as being searchable on blogs etc. I do have a blog but I haven't worked out how to use my remote to take pictures and have a lack of adult photographers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Ms Marah! I am so tickled that you are already started on your item. Wide-leg trousers make me swoon... cannot wait to see what pattern and fabric you chose. I have looked at pics on Instagram, but don't know how to put anything up. And I am not in any sewing groups. You sound like you are knowledgeable about all these things, so maybe you can help me along them way! Thanks so much for joining us, sugar, and can't wait to see your progress :)

      Delete
    2. Hello again! Just wanted you to know that, as of yesterday, I created a special Facebook group called Ms. Sam's Vintage Gals Make where we can share pictures and comments of our works in progress. Hope to see you there!

      Delete
  6. Well Sam, you know you can count me in! Oh the pressure of choosing what to make and finding the time! I will do it! I'm breaking out in a sweat! That first cut is looming .....but once made everything will fall into place and fly, and my family will starve.....OR everything will fall apart and I cry😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved your first 1930's dress, and haven't yet gotten to see the finished product of the second one. Can't wait to see what you decide to do next! I know the sweaty palms of making that first cut, especially with the gorgeous reproduction vintage fabrics you get. It will be amazing :)

      Delete
  7. This design is steller! You definitely know how to keep a reader amused.
    Between your wit and your videos, I was almost moved to start
    my own blog (well, almost...HaHa!) Wonderful job. I really enjoyed what you had to say, and more than that, how you
    presented it. Too cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, thank you for all your kinds words! I'm delighted that you enjoyed your visit and hope you come back so see me again :)

      Delete
  8. Saved as a favorite, I love your web site!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How fun! Count me in! I'm @petunia_g on Instagram. I'll be sewing a little black dress. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Ms Tamera, I am excited to have you join us! I've never posted to Instagram, but I will have to go find you. Also, as of yesterday, I created a special Facebook group called Ms. Sam's Vintage Gals Make. We can share pictures and comments of our works in progress! Can't wait to see what you come up with :)

      Delete
  10. I love this!! If I had more time, I would love to try it... Maybe once Will and I get married and I'm not watching the triplets, I can try my hand at sewing... The only thing I've ever worked on is hand-sewing our Christmas stockings. It's time-intensive, but actually quite a relaxing hobby. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be so fun! I could share pattern and fabric and you could make your own little dresses. And Will actually has an amazing sewing machine that was Grandma Tommy's. He is a great sewer- he can make all kinds of things I have never even attempted. Like long sleeves!!!

      Delete
  11. Anonymous? Well count me in on this too! My mom sent me a 1950s Advance (5422)!pattern , and I have some navy fabric to make my wearable muslin (the pattern is a size too smsll, but measurements appear to be ok...). Getting the creative sewing going maybe will tie in to some interesting vintage clothes and swing dancing ideas. ♡ Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hooray, so glad you are joining us! I can't wait to see your pattern. Just so you know, I started a special Facebook page for the challenge. I'll tag you for it!

      Delete
  12. How lovely are all you sewing choices and it's fun to share some vintage sewing with friends (even if they are online and on the other side of the world!) Just this past week I have made a ginham apron just like my Great-Grandma used to make for my Mum. I used honeycomb smocking and rickrack and a design just the way my Mum described her old aprons to me. I'll have to post a finished photo to my instagram and add the hashtag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Ms Corinna! I have some aprons exactly how you describe and I love them so! I can't wait to see it and am so happy that you are joining us in the challenge. I also want to say that I started a special Facebook group for us to share pictures and comments about our works in progress. It is called Ms. Sam's Vintage Gals Make. If you are on Facebook I hope you will join and share. Have a lovely day!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hey, sugar, I'd love to hear from you! If, for some odd reason, this won't let you comment, please send me a message at mssamwearsdresses@gmail.com. Thanks a ton!

Popular Posts