Vintage Look- 1930's look dress


Moma is the one who found this lovely dress for me at Goodwill. It caught her eye right off, and I love it!
The soutache trim and thick linen fabric are true to the 1930's, and the color is just dreamy. The skirt is a bit too full to be time appropriate, but it still has such a nice vintage feel. I paired it with with vintage gloves, and vintage inspired shoes to continue the 30's vibe.
In this picture you can see the vintage velvet flowers I put in my hair. And also my crowsfeet and the fact that I must unconsciously crinkle my nose when patting furry creatures...
Glove closeup! Aren't they scrumptious? I love the little notched cuffs and the delicate sheer cloth. Remind me why we don't wear gloves anymore...
The dress wrinkles easily, as you can see, but it makes me think of jumping in an old car and heading down the road with a quilt and picnic basket thrown in back. You know those great old pictures from way back when they would even pack their Victrola and records for the jaunt? No worries about rumples when you're having that much fun.
Here are my honkin' big shoes! The 10 was too small, amd the 11 is too big. I will just wear the boats and smile as I do! The gloves were my Great-great Aunt Jessie's. The flowers were in a big box I got at an auction when they cleaned out a general store that has closed in the 50's. They still have the price tag- 29cents!
And last of all, I tried one of my cloche hats with the dress. Not a good look with the hairdo, in fact, even the dogs were laughing at me! But they are pretty giddy critters at the best of times. So, a modern dress styled for the 1930's. I think moma found a winner!

Comments

  1. Oh this color is beautiful! Your mamma did real good. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. BEAUTIFUL...you and the dress!!! The color is lovely on you; really brings out the color of your eyes. I really like the hat with your hair up. You are one of the few who can pull of any hat you put on! Love you loads, moma




    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear mummy! And you got me that hat clear back in high school :)

      Delete
  3. The dress is just lovely!!!! I would LOVE to wear this dress every day! And you are beautiful—none of that nonsense about crows-feet and the dogs laughing at you! I lay bets your dogs know full well what a great life they have with you as their mama! I have a request—would you mind doing a hair tutorial sometime? My teen daughter has lovely waist length hair, and I would love to know how to help her put it up into some vintage styles. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, sweet lady, you are so kind! And the dogs do know who the real "moma" is, despite the fact that they belong to my boys ;). It is fun that you should ask about a hair tutorial. My friend Angie (A Very Vintage Farmgirl) has also asked. I made a video of one of the hairstyles that I get the most compliments for. It has been up on YouTube for a while, but it is so cringe-worthy that I haven't posted it here! I will do that today, and I hope that it is something your daughter would enjoy :)

      Delete
  4. OMG! That dress is so beautiful. Vintage dresses are the best. I wish there was a resurragance of vintage fashion in this era. But I doubt many would go for it.

    But the point remains, you look fantastic in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, sugar! There has been a bit of a turn toward vintage- there are several on-line clothing companies who are purposefully creating things with a vintage flair to them. The thing is, they often equate "vintage" with short and cleavage-showing... not sure how they came up with that, he he ;)

      Delete
  5. It's a stunning dress and it fitted quite well! Beautiful green tone. I guess it is from late 40s or early 50s because the kimono sleeves and the gathered skirt (this one wasn't common at 30s, when the skirts were very straight). Anyway, it's a gem :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's actually a completely modern dress from a current company, but moma found it at Goodwill. The linen and soutache trim just make me think of the 30's ;)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hey, sugar, I'd love to hear from you! If, for some odd reason, this won't let you comment, please send me a message at mssamwearsdresses@gmail.com. Thanks a ton!

Popular Posts