Vintage Look- Plaid skirt, Sweater, and Oxfords


It has been wretchedly cold and muddy here lately; today is actually snowy! I know lots of gals think that dressing vintage in the winter must be hard. Nothing could be further from the truth. If you have a plaid wool skirt and a sweater, you are well on our way to replicating a vintage look. I went to the dentist in this outfit. (You must be thinking, "Good grief, her teeth must be like Swiss cheese; she's always at the dentist!" Fact is, I left off a ton of tiny fillings through the years so that we could keep up with the boys' dental work. Now it's moma's turn to get fixed up ;) The sweet lady there said, "You look just like me, going to school in the 50's!" That made me happy. Below I'm showing off my milkmaid braids. I'm so tall that you can't see them unless I bow my head...

 
I am in my Grandma Tommy's sweater, definitely not new, but also not vintage. A Cato's skirt that I found at Goodwill, and my oxfords I found on eBay. If there is something that I see consistently at Goodwill, it is sweaters and plaid skirts.

Here is a 1940's advertisement for some great wool plaid skirts.
And here is a lovely group of ladies from Queen's College in 1943, in simple sweaters and skirts and loafers or flats. This is a great look to span the ages. On Pinterest you will see many examples. I really love some of the long woolen skirts from the 40's that hit mid-calf- all the warmer! There are lots of examples from the 50's, paired with flippy ponytails, saddleshoes, and bobby socks. In the 60's the waist was still defined, but the skirt's bottom hem took more of a flare, and some of them were getting shorter. In the 70's you continue to see the iconic plaid skirt, but in mini length and put with mod sweaters. So if you are looking for an easy and cheap way to ease into wearing a vintage look, you can't do better than to start with a plaid skirt and sweater! It can span any of the decades to represent the time period you like best.
And I told you I was going to try to remember to wear a piece of vintage jewelry with each outfit. This is a 1930-40's celluloid pin, etched and set with rhinestones. It was given to me by a sweet man from our church who passed away. It was his mother's. His name was Dewey Taylor and I remember him each time I put on this pin.

So what do you think, Dear Reader? Would you wear one of these skirts? Here they are paired with crisp white blouses in different styles. Or perhaps you'd enjoy a matching sweater set and vintage pin? What is a vintage winter look that you love?


Comments

  1. I just love that outfit! It is so vintage and nice looking. I also am loving the braids. I haven't been to the dentist in years, we didn't get coverage until recently. But thankfully, I have pretty good teeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I am just figuring out how to do braids for vintage looking hair. Now I am working on rolls and curls that look period appropriate. I am also lucky to have good teeth. Some of the tiny cavities have been waiting 5-6 years to be taken care of! Thankful to be all done and not worry that any of them are going to get bad....

      Delete
  2. I would definitely wear any of those skirts! I have two favorite winter looks that are vintage inspired that I wear. One is a black and dark grey hounds tooth wiggle type skirt with an attached wide, black "belt". The other is a red and black plaid A-line. That one I had to hem as I am a shortie (5'1!) and it was too long. Both I bought at the thrift for a few dollars each. Love your outfit and that pin is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the sound of your skirts!! That is funny, one of my best friends is 5'1 and I tower over her at 5'10-- I call her a little bird ;). Thrifting is the greatest and makes an outfit even better when you know what a bargain you got. And thank you, the pin is special to me.

      Delete
  3. My spouse and I absolutely love your blog and find almost all of your post's to
    be exactly what I'm looking for. Do you
    offer guest writers to write content in your case?
    I wouldn't mind creating a post or elaborating on many of
    the subjects you write concerning here. Again, awesome web site!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words! I have considered guest writers. If you have a blog or website, I would love to see the type of writing that you do. Thank you and come back to visit!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hey, sugar, I'd love to hear from you! If, for some odd reason, this won't let you comment, please send me a message at mssamwearsdresses@gmail.com. Thanks a ton!

Popular Posts