St. Patrick's day decor and beginning the Corned Beef!

It's holiday time again! The St. Patrick's decor is up and I have a beef brisket corning for the upcoming celebration.
Here is the dining room, all ready for partying! Some fun burlap banners and green twinkle lights.
My table just has a strip of burlap off of a roll at Walmart, this much cost about 75 cents. I made all the polka dot mushrooms from cast-off clay when my son Will was doing pottery. He let me glaze them and then he fired them for me. I think they look like Alice in Wonderland 'shrooms ;).
I don't have any leprechauns, but I do have these adorable trolls/gnomes from a time when the garden section was 50% off at Hobby Lobby. Not sure why they were in the garden section...may a fairyland terrarium decor? Anyhoo, I love them and their little furry tails. They are ever bit as impish as leprechauns anyway.
I did not put up my tree with it's ornaments this year, see HERE. After Valentine's Day I noticed that the lights in the top half had gone out! Is it just me, or do they make light strands to last two years at the most nowadays?! It is so aggravating. Every holiday I get out a string that is dead or half lit. So instead of the tree, I just made a tableau of green or tartan items to give the right feel. The little circular book with the plaid cover on one of the shelves is a recipe booklet for sweet potatoes :)
Some of my vintage St Patrick postcards...
I love the antique linen on my Victrola. It is has appliqued and embroidered shamrocks. Mr Owl has a jaunty bow tie, and the Celtic cross is one that the boys made when they were younger. The shamrock and swag are from the Dollar Tree.
Why not layer linens? I liked the airy green doily over the sheer shamrock cloth. The 1950's pixie is one my moma found for me. He likes to recline in a bowl of gold coins.
As usual, Squeaky is in all his green glory.
There are other touches throughout the house, but one that I rarely get a picture of is the door. It is the door off of the kitchen, and the one everyone comes to. No one ever goes to the front door, but I kinda like that. How better to be welcomed than into a kitchen?
As you know by now, our idea of a party is family mixed with lots of food. And the food for this celebration is quite special, even more so because it is only served once a year. For St Patrick's day we have homemade corned beef, and the national dish of Ireland- colcannon. Colcannon is basically a mashed potato and fried cabbage dish that I top with cheese and bake up in the oven. I have never had even the pickiest eater not like it! Here I am weighing my beef brisket. I need at least 14 pounds to feed our group.
Here are the ingredients for the brine- Salt Peter, kosher salt, paprika, chopped garlic, and lots of pickling spice mixed into 4 quarts of water. Did the name Salt Peter give you pause? The amount I have was given to me by my mother-in-law, as I have been unable to procure any. It is traditionally added to the meat to keep a pink coloration instead of turning a greyish tone. Why is it hard for me to get? It is a main component in making gunpowder! And The Man keeps pretty careful tabs on stuff like that...
I pour the brine over the meat in my biggest enamelware stock pot. The I double bag a 10 pound weight and set it on top to keep the meat beneath the liquid. Then you turn it every other day for 14 days. On the 15th day you remove the meat, wash off the spices, brush it in a special marinade, then let it sit overnight. The 16th day you wrap it in multiple layers of foil and cook it low and slow for 8 hours. Then you refrigerate again.
On the 17th day, the day of your celebration, you cut the meat into as thin a slices as possible. Then you rewrap it and reheat the meat. While it is cooking, you finish the colcannon and rolls and desserts (preferably green!). FINALLY, after 17 days of preparation, it is time to settle down and dig into a traditional Irish meal with all of your green-clad loved ones! Is it worth it? Yes, it is. Just, someday I'm going to make a giant brisket so we can actually have some leftovers. So, Dear Reader, come back to see my post of our St. Patrick's Day meal. And please let me know if you would like any recipes!

Comments

  1. I already know I want to see the cabbage/mashed potato recipe! And now we know why I have never been tempted to cook corned beef. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will put up the colcannon recipe as soon as I get a chance. It really is delicious! And the corned beef SOUNDS like a ton of work, but really it is just siting and having a little pickle spa for 14 of the days ;)

      Delete
  2. Your decorations look lovely as always, Ms Sam! I just adore Squeaky! He never fails to put a smile on my face :) I just know your brisket is going to be divine! I usually make my colcannon with kale, but I would love to your recipe! It sounds scrumptious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, sugar! And Squeaky is a character. He somehow always manages to look completely put out by his costuming; I think that's why it's so fun! You are the first person I have ever talked to that has actually made colcannon! I got my recipe from a book and tweaked it till we loved it. I love kale also, so I can see how that would be delicious. But fried cabbage was already a thing in our family, so that makes it perfect for this dish. Do you make it for St Patty's, or just as a regular side dish? Also- I found your blog! I even copied down a popover recipe from it :). I've never had a popover, so I'm determined to try it one day!

      Delete
    2. You are so sweet, Ms Sam! Thank you for stopping by my blog. I'm afraid I don't keep up with it well. I'm trying! The only time I make colcannon is St Patrick's day. No Irish in the family, but my husband has Scots. In fact, I'm almost certain we share a tartan! :) I do love fried cabbage though, and we have often in the winter months. I love it roasted in the oven, too. Please let me know what you think of the popovers! They are so easy to make and they are so tasty!

      Oh! I think that is the reason why I just love Squeaky so much! He just has the most precious look--you can just imagine him thinking "You're making me wear what?!" lol!

      Delete
    3. My dad's side is Scotch, Irish, French, no wonder we are a little testy- ha! And you are exactly right about Squeaky. Sometimes I think I can hear him heave a sigh ;)

      Delete
  3. You have inspired me again! I will be redecorating today to put up the green!!! I always serve the same meal on St. Patrick's day - corned beef, fried cabbage and mashed potatoes, but I do NOT make my own corned beef! You're amazing! Can't wait to see the deliciousness when it's served! Oh and btw, I share your dad's heritage from both sides! Talk about testy!!! hahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Ms Holley, you have no idea how it made me smile to hear you say I inspired you! What a kind and lovely thought! The corned beef is delicious, and I never would have even thought about making it myself but my hubby folks started it. Then they gave me the recipe, and now I get to carry on the tradition. It really only sounds difficult because of the number of days. But honestly, that little brine is doing all the work while I just dream about eating it ;). That is some bloodlines to come from- I used to say that combination was what made me stubborn as a mule with the temper of a wet hen, but that may just be me- he he!

      Delete
    2. Ms Sam what a wonderful tradition to carry on! Hopefully, one day, you will do the same to one of your children!!! And, you are always an inspiration!!!

      Delete
    3. Thank you, sugar! My middle boy adores cooking (he is a cook at a local restaurant) and would be the one most likely to carry on the tradition. My daughters-in-law are not super fond of cooking, but I personally know it can grow on you through the years!

      Delete
  4. Sam, I truly love all your photos in this post. It's quote primitive with all of those dishes and cookware. Beautiful and it makes for gorgeous photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, sugar! I love pottery bowls and graniteware. It's what I cook with all the time. And I love my possum belly cabinet for prepping. Using things you love makes cooking so delightful! Hugs!!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hey, sugar, I'd love to hear from you! If, for some odd reason, this won't let you comment, please send me a message at mssamwearsdresses@gmail.com. Thanks a ton!

Popular Posts