Video! Building a vintage Wardrobe- #1 Finding your personal Style

Have you ever thought about wearing vintage, or vintage inspired clothing? Maybe not every single day, but perhaps special occasions. Or maybe you want to completely overhaul your closet so that when you look inside there are only things that delight you. Well, I am hoping to be a help to you!

My dear son Devin has yet again put up a video for me. Bless his heart! He even added music and did all kinds of fancy things to try and make me and my rambling seem a little bit better. This is something I have been wanting to do for a while, but was uncertain. There were quite a few folks out there that have videos about wearing vintage. But I decided to heed one of my favorite authors, Neil Gaiman, "The one thing that you have that nobody else has is you. Your voice, your mind, your story, your vision. So write and draw and build and play and dance and live as only you can." Perhaps I can say things in a different way than all the others.
So I've decided to do a series on something close to my heart, creating a vintage wardrobe. It starts with this first video on finding your own vintage style. In it I show examples from my collection of clothing from the 1890's through the 60's to give you an idea of all the iconic styles you have to choose from. The second one will deal with the all important problems of measurement and fit. Next will be how to actually start purchasing practical things to start your wardrobe. Later I'll talk about how to wear, repair, and care for vintage. And eventually the importance of slips, and how to incorporate vintage accessories like purses, hats, and jewelry into your style. I think it will be a lot of fun and I hope that some of you will follow along with me in the journey! If you are game, the link to the first video is below...


Comments

  1. Oh I loved it! I can't wait to see the next one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear friend for your never ending encouragement!

      Delete
  2. Write more, thats all I have to say. Literally,
    it seems as though you relied on the video to make your point.
    You definitely know what youre talking about, why throw away your intelligence on just posting videos to your blog when you could be giving us something informative to read?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, and thank you for commenting! If you have looked at any of my other posts you will see that practically all I do is write! I've had the blog for about five years and this is only my third video. I just think that this particular subject lends itself well to video format, because I can say things that come to mind as I go along. I'd love for you to look at my other posts if you enjoy writing!

      Delete
  3. A wonderful video, Ms Sam! I'm looking forward to the next one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, sugar! I already have the second one filmed, but I hate to ask my son to put it up for me just yet. He's very patient with me, but perhaps I should space these things out a bit ;)

      Delete
  4. Heather:
    what a great idea for a series! I'd love to learn to integrate more of my vintage pieces. right now I pretty much only wear vintage when I'm dressing up for swing dancing or an evening out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so excited that you're interested! My third video is going to be about actually purchasing for your wardrobe. I wear tons of true vintage, but I'm a huge fan of mixing in Goodwill sweaters, skirts, slips. Some if my favorite outfits are a mix ;)

      Delete
  5. Rebecca:
    I finally got a chance to watch this, it is just fabulous, and a great education. Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge, and your closet! It's humbling to see the true vintage from your past generations. The 40s-50s vintage I have from my family I hold most dear. Looking forward to more!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for watching, and your kind words! History is a passion, whether through clothes or other. What a blessing to have those things to cherish from your family! Thanks for lifting my spirit😘

      Delete
  6. Love the video! Do more! The history lesson was informative and your dresses beautiful! You did a great job! I think the 30s and 40s are at a tie for me, although the 20s and 60s straight would look best on me😁 I cant wait for your next one!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank, sweetie! I'm glad you enjoyed it. Maybe in one I could show some of the vintage inspired that you are sewing ;)

      Delete
  7. Oh, this was SUCH fun to watch and I learned SO much! Thank you for posting! I am eagerly looking forward to seeing further videos, and I have already been enjoying reading your blog. I am wondering if you might be able to give some tips on perhaps sewing some look alike vintage clothes. I only have simple, basic sewing skills, but I could certainly sew an A line skirt! I would love to wear more skirts or dresses in everyday life, but I need clothes that I can truly move and do things like cook and clean while wearing! I am a homeschooling mama, so cook, clean, teach, and drive to music lessons every day! 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved it...you need to mention that most of the clothes on the rack (in picture at top) are for sale and also refer readers to your shop! Maybe you could add a shop button to your blog...love ya, moma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are brilliant! Why did I not even think of that? Maybe when Devin puts my next one up he can help me tweak this one too. Thank you for always being my supporter! Love you!

      Delete
  9. You are so stinkin’ cute! I could listen to that accent all day. I’m southern too but you are definitely more southern than me. I can’t wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, sugar! And that is so funny, when I went through and watched it I was patting myself on the back for keeping my accent toned down, ha ha! I already have another one done, but I have to have my poor son load it for me ;) Thank you for encouraging me!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hey, sugar, I'd love to hear from you! If, for some odd reason, this won't let you comment, please send me a message at mssamwearsdresses@gmail.com. Thanks a ton!

Popular Posts