Vintage Look- 1960's Cream Sweater Dress with touches of St Patrick Green!



I found this sweater dress on eBay and was excited by the oatmeal color- so versatile! It was a great price and I could see it going from colder weather topped with a sweater, to the warm/chilly weather of spring and fall with it's short sleeves.


When I took it from the package I was so glad I got it. The weave is an open pointelle pattern, in a medium weight that drapes nicely. It is a 1960's 100% Orlon Acrylic Fiber. It is by Kimberly, the company that also made one of my wool sweater sets. The fact that this one isn't wool will make it great for warmer temperatures and it also has a soft, smooth feel, and a nice sheen.

The dress has classic styling, and I love that the buttons are also covered in the knit.
My vintage jewelry is from my Great-aunt Jane that I have mentioned so many times. It is a metal pin with sweet peach colored flowers on one side.
But it is actually a lady's watch. Do you see how the clock face is upside down? That's so when the lady looks down at it, it is right-side-up from her view. Isn't that clever? And it's a wind-up, so it never needs batteries.
The waist of this dress is elastic, and it is well-covered so it could be worn just that way. But I thought a belt would finish the silhouette more cleanly. This is one of several belts that I found in my Grandma Tommy's sewing box.The idea of Mend and Make Do extended to snipping off and saving the buttons on items that could no longer be worn, and also saving belts that went with a certain outfit and finding a way to incorporate them into another. I loved that this had the green woven into it for my St Patrick's theme, but also the darker brown and cream to compliment the dress.
Here I am looking at the ceiling with a goofy look for some reason. Probably more cobwebs ;)!
My winter wardrobe was my most lacking, but this year I have managed to fill it out with some things that I absolutely adore! I am especially proud of my sweater dresses (including my dear gifted one!). But we are now having some springy days that reach 66 degrees, and I am so looking forward to getting back into my summer dresses! My daughter-in-law Emiley loves dressing for winter most, because she adores sweaters and leggings. I love summer because of all the cheery, light sundresses. So, Dear Reader, what is your favorite season to dress for?

Comments

  1. My favorite season is winter....I agree with Emily! Your dress is beautiful. It looks so soft & comfortable. I really adore your watch/pin. I've always wanted one of those since I was really young. What a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very soft and lovely to wear! I love the pin, especially because it was Aunt Jane's. I like to imagine her wearing it during her college days at Mary Harden- Baylor in Texas ;)

      Delete
  2. bookmarked!!, I like your website! I need to to thank you for this
    wonderful read!! I certainly loved every little bit of it.
    I've got you saved as a favorite to check out new things you Does your
    site have a contact page? I'm having a tough time locating it but, I'd like to send you an email.

    I've got some ideas for your blog you might be interested in hearing.
    Either way, great blog and I look forward to seeing it expand over time.
    http://nestle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words! If you look directly below the comment section you will find my email address. I'd love to hear from you, and please come back to visit!

      Delete
  3. My favourite is winter too! Only because I love all the warm colours and layers. I rarely get to wear winter stuff and what I do have seems to sit in boxes for years. I shall figure out what to do about that. That look you said was silly cause of spider webs is actually an adorable look. Tou are so pretty and photogenic. I swanny, there isn't a bad angle on you girl! I love you, Sam! Muawhhhh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, you make my head swell! No bad angle...you should all the ones with my eyes closed in a funky squint. I think my brain knows when the shutter is about to close and shuts my eyes as well, he he! But thank you, I take your words as a huge compliment. And I never even thought about not getting to wear sweet little sweaters and layers where you live. Love you too, dearie!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hey, sugar, I'd love to hear from you! If, for some odd reason, this won't let you comment, please send me a message at mssamwearsdresses@gmail.com. Thanks a ton!

Popular Posts