Vintage Look- 50's blue velvet hat and Modern Sweater Dress


 I love sweater sets and sweater dresses so much for winter. And here is another gem I found at my beloved Goodwill. It had such great 1940's lines that I got it, despite the fact that it is a bit similar to the one I wore HERE. But compared side-by-side the original dress is burgundy wine, while this one is brick red. I also like the longer length and the scoop neck versus the cowl neck.
 It is a larger size than I normally wear, which I like in a sweater dress. I do not want it to cling. This one is perfectly flowing, but I needed something to bring in the waist. My 80's snap belt to the rescue. Remember how I dug it out and wore it again with this dress HERE? I liked the blue with this and decided to pair one of my Great Granny's 1950's hats with it. Talk about bridging the eras in one outfit!
 My pin is also 80's. I got it in middle school during what I've called my "Out Of Africa" period. I wore mainly tan, cream, and white clothing that looked like it could have been expeditionary clothing from the 1890's-1930's. This little brass frog has two carved plastic scarabs on it's back. I always wanted to be an Egyptologist when I was young and discover some amazing lost tomb...
And now, get ahold of yourself, because I'm going to give you a treat. Everyone needs a good laugh now and then, and my moma says she can always count on me for it. Below I am wearing a scarf that I found in Goodwill at the same time as the dress. It has the most gorgeous flower pattern on navy blue background. I am a member of a vintage ladies hair style group, and turbans and turban headbands have made a huge come-back. Just look at all the ones they are selling on Etsy. Those ladies look so elegant and amazing in their vintage style turbans, so I thought I'd give it a whirl...
But instead of looking like the incredible turban swathed Ms. Lana Turner,


 I ended up looking like the awful Miss Hannigan from Orphan Annie, and after she had swilled some bathtub gin! I'm thinking this is very authentic 1940's look, but not one that is going to leave the house on my head ;)! I can just imagine the snickering if my boys saw this. They'd be asking me to tell their fortunes. Okay, so you've had a good giggle at my expense- you're welcome. But hopefully you've also seen how easy it is to mix different styles and time periods to make a fun outfit that only cost me the $5 of the dress. So, Dear Reader, do you thrift shop? What kind of things do you look for when you go? I browse down the sweaters to the china and glass, then beeline to the dresses. What has been your greatest find?

Comments

  1. You look lovely as always, Ms Sam! That particular shade of red is very becoming on you. And the blue belt and hat go with it rather nicely, I think.

    No giggles from me, though I think the turban would look a bit better if your hair were up. I've tried a turban before, but I just don't have the right facial shape for it. I think your face would carry a turban very well. Try it with your hair up and see what you think!

    I adore going to the thrift. I have several close by, but it has been sometime since I was able to go. I did promise my youngest son that we would go sometime soon. I usually make a beeline for the skirts first and then blouses.

    My greatest find (which, grievously, is currently collecting dust in the garage) is a 1967 Singer Rocketeer Sewing Machine, in its table, complete with all cams, feet, a bottle of machine oil, spools of thread, instruction manual, and a separate Singer buttonhole maker in its own pink case, for $20!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Lady! I didn't actually do a full turban, just a turban wrap. I was afraid if I did a full turban I look that the creepy robot gypsy that used to give you fortune cards out of the coin machine- ha! :)

      Oh my, what a treasure! Well, at least you have it, even if it is currently in the garage. Better than having gotten rid of it! It sounds amazing! And a buttonhole maker... I terrified of button holes. I hope you can dust it off someday soon and make something grand!

      Delete
  2. Love the turban! You would be beautiful in a gunny sack with your head shaved...so don't make fun of the beauty you are...you look nothing like Miss Hannigan. Love you loads, moma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh, you know that the nasty ole thing was my favorite character in the whole movie ;)! But thank you, every baby needs a moma bear fiercely certain that hers is the most beautiful- love you!

      Delete
  3. I love reading the comments as much as the posts....especially when your mamma comments.

    I devoured your first video on shopping vintage & am anticipating the whole series. I may actually be seen in public in a vintage dress someday. My love is glass & I always browse the dishes first though I am very selective as I age. I've passed quite a few things on already & keep only what I use often now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that moma, she's a keeper ;)

      I'm so glad you liked the video! Boy, if I can brainwash you into wearing vintage that would be a true feather in my cap- he he! I have the second video done, just need a bit of expert "boy help". Glass is a total weakness for me! I found the most gorgeous pressed glass, footed EAPG pitcher at Goodwill the other day. Moma was so impressed :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hey, sugar, I'd love to hear from you! If, for some odd reason, this won't let you comment, please send me a message at mssamwearsdresses@gmail.com. Thanks a ton!

Popular Posts