My words for the New Year


I found this lovely poster at the Wooden Spoon, the restaurant where I work. Ms Jane always finds unique things to go in the gift area of the store. I was enthralled with this from the moment I saw it. As the weeks past, I realized it was the only one she had gotten, and that at anytime I might come in and it be gone. So I had to snap it up!
It is just a simple paper poster that was sewn to have a rod pocket at the top, but the photography is gorgeous. Ms Jane has a whole line of cards by this same company, and they are little works of art unto themselves. This picture is so serene and calming to me, and I have to say that in the last year I have become completely enamored of dahlias. It seems that every bouquet I love, or garden I  admire, is somehow filled with the flowers. I have never desired to grow them because they are not perennial here. The thought of remembering to dig something up before frost kills it, and then trying to keep it viable over winter, dismays me. But I am so in love with them that I am sincerely thinking about taking the dahlia plunge.

But none of those things are why I bought the poster. I am a person who chooses words over pictures, and the quote arrested me. I admired Mother Teresa for both her wisdom, and the way she put her beliefs into practice in such a way that people's lives were forever changed.
Every year I have a quote or word that I have ruminated upon, and chosen to be a guide for the oncoming year. One year it was "Intrepid", and I managed to live it by both taking myself to Paris, and by being brave enough to begin posting pictures of myself in vintage clothing. Another year it was the simple word, "Act". And it was my impetus to take those million and one things that I think of: write a note to that person who is ailing, bake a cake for someone who is down- and actually DO them. I got this poster with the plan of hanging it on my bathroom wall, so that I will see it first thing every morning.  THIS is what I want my new year to reflect- doing even the most humble of tasks with extraordinary love and  devotion. "And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men;" Colossians 3:23

Do you have a word, verse, or phrase to inspire you in the New Year, Dear Reader? I'd love to hear it. I pray that you view this month as a fresh start, and the year as a blank slate. There is so much joy, and so many wonderful things yet to come...

"Forget the former things;
do not dwell on the past.
See, I am doing a new thing!
Now it springs up; do you not perceive it?
I am making a way in the wilderness
and streams in the wasteland."
~Isaiah 43:18-19

Comments

  1. "THIS is what I want my new year to reflect- doing even the most humble of tasks with extraordinary love and devotion." Oh my dear, I do love this thought! We sometimes lose sight of the reason why we are doing this or that thing, and it is easy to fall into a mindset of resentment. I do love this gentle reminder (((hugs))). A new mantra for the year 2020 :~)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Ms Kath, I'm so delighted that the words resonated with you also! I read a quote years ago (need to dig it back up) that was written by a monk. He was writing about how simply making soup or washing dishes could be an act of worship. I love that! Hugs to you in this New Year!~

      Delete
  2. Oh Ms Sam!! I love it! What an absolutely gorgeous quote. Definitely words to live by.

    Have a safe and blessed New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You also, sweet lady! And I am so glad the words spoke to your heart!

      Delete
  3. I love the poster! I need to check out this greeting card line.

    I frame greeting cards & change them out with the seasons. There are some beautiful cards & I want to remember the words. Plus I've been given so many delightful handmade cards over the years. It's so sweet to pull them out when seasons change to display & remember. Winter...after Christmas....is when I don't have as much to add so I need to check out the cards & find one to frame for January1

    I have a small dahlia that comes back every year. I don't like it very much which is probably why it has survived! It's small, deep red with a yellow center & the blooms are always....Always......deformed. Or maybe they're supposed to look that way? My mother grew the huge dinner plate dahlias, digging them up every year & replanting them. I'm too lazy to do that but if I find a good deal I will plant them, enjoy them for the year & cross my fingers that some might come back in the spring.

    I have not chosen a new word for two years now. In 2018 I chose I Thessalonians 4:11 & the words 'Quiet Work'. I have it displayed above my writing desk & haven't been able to let it go. I can't find a desire to move on from it this year either. I guess I just haven't figured out how to keep my hands busy yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should come look at the cards- they are expensive, but so gorgeous! Speaking of dahlias, most are just garish and awful. I have been looking at the bulbs in several of my new plant catalogs, and I am rethinking them. Some of the ones that look so lovely are actually 10 inches wide! I can't see myself making bouquets of them. And with having to dig them, stake them...ugh. Instead, I found some glorious new varieties of zinnia and cosmos that have the same look and same washed colors. Some even have the quilled petals! Seeds are so much cheaper, there would be more flowers, and they would be the size I enjoy arranging.

      I remember those words on your wall! I love that, and see no need to change when they are ones that never fail to inspire you. And I think your hands are quite busy with a little one- the best kind of "work" :)

      Delete
    2. I don't think I could live through a summer without zinnia bouquets. I'm still planting seeds passed down from my mother. I think they may be my favorite flower.

      Delete
  4. Ms.Sam, that quote is perfect and so true. Wishing you a Happy New Year with a trillion everyday moments that make you smile and feel love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, sweet lady, and the same back to you with big hugs!!

      Delete
  5. I too admired Mother Theresa. Also, I do a word of the year. This year it's Grace - with it's multiple meanings 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read your post and loved it! Yes, Grace is a perfect word to have as guidance for a new year!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hey, sugar, I'd love to hear from you! If, for some odd reason, this won't let you comment, please send me a message at mssamwearsdresses@gmail.com. Thanks a ton!

Popular Posts