January 2020 Update

The hyacinth bulb I got at Aldi- it smells so good!

Hello, Dear Readers! Hello??....Anyone still there? I have been so remiss about posting in the last six months and I apologize. I love visiting with you all, and I think about making posts, take tons of pictures...Then I read a book, clean my house, plot flowerbeds on paper, basically do everything but write to you! I know that is not actually a bad thing. It's called real life, and I'm delighted to be living one ;). But I do miss catching up with you. So here is a very helter-skelter and random run-down.

Confession- ever since the backhoe finished ripping up my garden (see HERE), I have been pouring obsessively over the incoming plant and seed catalogs. I've made three seed orders and I am fixing to order plants. Y'all, I have not been this excited about my garden in a good number of years. My teeth are just gritted in the hope that my wisteria is actually beaten back and that I won't be back on here washing the screen with salty tears.
The "reading Material" in my bath tub
I have mainly been reading gardening books and magazines. But I have the most delicious pile of books that my family gave me for Christmas. I just haven't started them yet. I have to be in the exact mood and then I will devour them all at once. It's kind of all or nothing around here, folks. One book I have read is, A Paris Year


It is a sort of remake of a journal by lady who moved to Paris, fell in love- of course!- and stayed in that glorious city. Yes, it's a true story! (I also have her book, Paris Letters, which is the story of how it all came to be. I haven't read it yet. ) She included photos, sketches, and trivia. It was such a fun and quick read, and I learned things that made me smile. I do love good random tidbits of knowledge! This has just made me all the more excited about our upcoming Paris trip! (I promise, I am going to do a post about what is happening.)
Originally the playroom, then schoolroom, then bedroom...
But here is a little something else that has to do with France, I am turning one of the boys old bedrooms into a French inspired parlor! Lots of eyebrows probably raised right there. I know folks nowadays don't even seem to want a formal dining room, more or less a parlor. But I was raised with both. In fact, my Grandma Tommy had two parlors, both decorated in the most exquisite Victorian antiques. (Someday I must dig up pictures of her house for you.) My parents have a gorgeous one, and we "retire to the parlor" after family dinners to sit and talk. To me, they aren't strange. And that bedroom is the one that had the airconditioner leak, and so the room was already stripped and the carpet ripped out. We are supposed to have flooring put in sometime this week (after it sitting in disrepair for almost a year!). I am busy painting the walls and trim, and I will be excited to show you before and after photos! Packrat that I am, most every piece of furniture I am going to use has been sitting in either the barn or the shop for years. And I have been going through the house choosing pictures that will migrate in there. I am very excited for this winter project! And you know how cheap I am, so this is what I would call "shoestring French", he he!
a sneak peak at a piece to go in the parlor!
I had my January book club last week and decorated with the evergreen theme that I began under my French mirror. 


snowglobes from baby food jars :)

It's funny how my mind latches onto something and keeps going. But I am about ready to take that all down and decorate for Valentines! I think that will happen this week. 
A class from a few years back, so much fun!
My homeschool biology classes start back this week! I have a class of nine students who come to my house to learn about science. This is my favorite semester because it is filled with dissections- 11 as a matter of fact. I have the best kids ever, and we have a great time with it all.
Now there is more. Trash bags more...
I'm trying to decide what I have left out. Oh! So, I have always been rather terrified of Instagram. I had an account, because I was always seeing vintage dressing ladies on Pinterest with Instagram pages, and I thought I would follow them. But then I never went and actually looked at them. My Etsy shop has done fairly well this year, but, honestly, I am ready to be through with selling vintage and to have the guest room empty of clothing racks! Everyone says that Instagram is the way to sell. From what I am seeing, they may be right. So I took the leap and decided I would try Instagram in 2020! If you give a hoot about that type of thing, I am @samanthawearsdresses. Slap me now, because I think I may actually like it. Blogging takes me so very long, because I am so long-winded. Insta's purpose is to be brief. So the random photos I take that I would never make a whole post of could go there. And is it nefarious and back-handed of me to hope to have people follow me so that then I could sell all those piles of vintage clothes I have laying about, already??!! So, yes, I guess I also have a bit of a hidden agenda in there. 

Okay, I am going to stop my erratic babbling. Do you have projects for this new year? Are you savoring the glut of seed catalogs coming, or do you toss them without opening? Would you like to know if the books I have in my reading stacks are good/bad/otherwise? Let me know what you have been contemplating on this January!

Comments

  1. Well you know how I feel about spring planting this year......

    Oh what fun to enjoy a visit in a real parlor! Our extra bedroom is a craft room. Or a disaster room at the moment because of our bathroom remodel means losing some closet space.

    I've been following you on Instagram before you ever posted a picture so I look forward to seeing some pics in your feed. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless your heart, thank you for following me, even if it leads nowhere ;)! Oh, those remodeling woes. You get so excited about one thing while another thing becomes a nightmare of storage. Of course, that's a lot like cleaning house for me, he he. I hope you will share about your gardening plans/dreams!

      Delete
  2. So good to see you, Ms Sam! I am the same way with blogging, though I am trying to do better!

    I put my Valentine's up last week and I am so glad I did! It is just so cheerful :)

    I have been dreaming about a container garden! I've been scouring catalogs for the things I want to try and grow. I've also been doing a bit of canning.

    I am excited to see your parlor! You have such exquisite taste and I just know it is going to be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, sweetie, and I am so happy you haven't given up on me! I got my Valentines up last night, and it did make me feel so cheerful! (Other than the fact that I just tossed all the January stuff into the guest room to put up letter, bwahaha ;) Are you wanting to grow flowers or veggies in containers? I love to have pots of flowers about to brighten up the bare spots, but I am the world's worst about watering. If it's not in the ground it doesn't have much chance...And you are so kind! I don't know about having good taste, but I am super excited to start in on that room. I'll keep you posted on the progress!

      Delete
    2. P.S. I pop over to your blog when I can remember. I haven't figured out how to sign up to it yet, can you help me out?

      Delete
    3. I plan on doing vegetables in containers and flowers in the ground. Fingers crossed! I think I added a sign up on my blog. I tried to anyway!

      Delete
    4. Wonderful! We tried some veggies in raised beds last year with pros and cons. I'll be interested to hear how you do with yours! And I will have to make a trip over to see if I can sign up :)

      Delete
  3. Oh your new parlor is going to be lovely! Looking forward to seeing pictures as you go along!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, sugar! I am very excited about it. On of the things that has made an empty next easier is to dream about new uses for the bedrooms. It still seems like they should be home...But I will keep you posted, so come back to visit with me :)

      Delete
  4. Oh, my we do love hearing the hodgepodge of interesting tidbits on your mind. :) I have already ordered my seeds (and received them...yeah!!) for the coming year's veg/herb garden. I happened to find some bulbs at 75% off a few weeks ago, so put them in the ground...late, but hopefully I'll have an appearance of happy purple, yellow, lavender, and white tulips come spring. For many years our front room was where we entertained guests, but as the years have passed we now have the treadmill, inversion table and such in there. Now-a-days we rarely entertain, and if we do, welcome them into the family and dining areas. I did pop over to Instagram and followed you, and will be happy to see what you share. Have a very blessed day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, sugar! True friends don't mind a bit of rambling on :). Lucky you to have gotten your seeds. Mine still haven't come and I was hoping to get the poppies and larkspur out now because they need ground in a hard chill. We'll see. Bulbs are wonderful, and what a deal! I have many daffodils. That's what my great-granny originally planted, and my folks were generous in sharing. Your tulips will be glorious spots of color come spring! It doesn't matter where you entertain, as long as you enjoy your guests. Before we added on, I had to move the couch and a chair to add more people around out table, but it was still fun! Thank you for following me. I'm still unsure about it all, so we'll see what comes of it. Have a lovely day, and thanks for the visit!

      Delete
  5. After all you went through with that A/C leak, you deserve to turn that room into anything you want! And what a space for a parlor ... all that lovely natural light for the gorgeous window. I have visions of you tucked into a corner with a book or bits of fabric, soaking up the light to chase away the winter blahs. Sounds just about perfect, sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Ms Beth! I don't know about deserving it, but I am excited about it! Well, not that I think about dragging the black snake out of the soaking insulation in the attic, maybe there is some "deserving" going on, he he! I really am looking forward to having a desk in there to sit and write. I even got my fountain pen out wax seals out! And it would be the perfect place to invite a certain guest in to have some tea and sweets ;)...

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hey, sugar, I'd love to hear from you! If, for some odd reason, this won't let you comment, please send me a message at mssamwearsdresses@gmail.com. Thanks a ton!

Popular Posts