Vintage Look- Pink Chambray Peplum Set


 
This vintage 1940's peplum top and skirt set are handmade, and with such attention to detail. I love finding handmade vintage that is exactly my size, it makes me daydream about the lady who was so much like me. Obviously we would share the same taste in clothes! ;)

She made this outfit from a pink chambray fabric and a matching chambray with navy pattern. I wear full slips under most of my dresses, and it was necessary for this one. Do you see the tiny white patch beneath the last button? It is just short enough to leave that one spot open. Did she have a shorter torso than mine? Or was this a daring option to flash a bit of skin? I've seen pictures of Rita Hayworth in the 40's wearing a shirt and skirt set that was short enough to show skin all around the top of her waist...
Some of you might be asking, what is a peplum? It is a little ruffle of additional fabric attached to the base of a shirt or jacket to flare over the hips.
I paired this outfit with one of my Great Granny's hats, and a pair of dusty rose leather mary janes that I found on eBay years ago. Ebay is a great place to look for shoes at a cheaper price. I just type in my size (Sasquatch) and my favorite style (Mary Jane, Heels) and see what comes up. These were the display pair for a shoe store and had one tiny scuff- for $15!
Look how sweet the pattern on the fabric is. And she paired it with the perfect trim and rose shaped buttons. This set is in such perfect shape that I can't help but think it was a favorite and only worn for special occasions.
And here is a close-up of Granny's hat. It has navy velvet around the edges, punctuated with navy beading.
 I love wearing things that were hers, or from other family members. I can imagine Granny looking down from heaven, saying to Grandad, "Look at Sally, wearing that old navy hat of mine. Do you remember when I got that?" But, of course, he would think that Granny was the most beautiful in it... 💗



Comments

Popular Posts