Vintage Look- Corduroy Collared Paris Dress (and a snood!)

 This was the second dress that I got in a Paris Frippe, or thrift store. I tell you all about it in my post,  Paris Trip- Wednesday: Musee de Orsay, Vintage, and Eiffel Tower. It's from the 1970's, check out the elongated collar, slight puff topped sleeves, and in the lower picture the elongated cuffs. The 70's is not my favorite period for clothing, despite being born then! But this little dress is trying to be a throw-back to a different era. I am too, I suppose, so we can both forgive each other our many faults.

What I love about it are the beautiful muted colors, the use of corduroy, and the fact that the fabric is a brushed cotton that almost feels like flannel. It is a perfect fall dress. And the fact that it is fully lined and has a side-zip makes it even more vintage throw-back.
This is my first time wearing a snood (crocheted hair covering) out in public. I loved the vintage look, and the fact that it covered up all my ratty, tangled hair. But I had a LOT of hair to stuff in there, and perhaps it is too small? Anyhoo, I went grocery shopping and I kept having the feeling that it was going to snap off my head with such force it might kill an innocent bystander. Gotta work on that.


I'm wearing the dress with navy tights and my Jambu oxfords. It doesn't look quite right, but I don't have tights in this dusty blue color. Guess I should start a look out for some. Here I am gesturing to a sign I got when we took a family vacation to Chicago to see all the museums.
 It was stapled to a telephone pole in the alley behind a wonderful French restaurant where we dined called, Mon Ami Gabi. It was put up by the city to warn about rats and how to cut down on the number. I love the slogan at the bottom, "If rats can't feed, rats can't breed." Yes, I shamelessly tore it off the post and brought it home. It goes perfectly with all the ratty horrors I put out for Halloween!
 My head is intentionally cut off in the below picture, unlike the accidental cutting of the one further up. You can see the black feet of a silly hound who is behind me, washing my hands vigorously. The face I was making at this ticklish torture is not to be put anywhere that a child might see it and be scarred forever...You can see the cat is totally disgusted. I only put this one on to show how I wore the dress to work at the Spoon. This is with charcoal tights (there is a grey strip in the plaid) and black flats. Is this better than the navy and oxfords? Or should I hold out for dusty blue tights?
 I waited five months to get to wear this for the first time, and it made me think of my Paris trip all over again! I may have gotten the dress in France, but the tag is written in German.
So, happy memories and a warm little fall dress. Now I need to find tights in different colors. And figure out how to fasten a snood so that it is not a accident waiting to happen...

Cold weather is upon us, Dear Reader, are you ready for it? If you are looking for some vintage to warm both heart and body this season, take a gander at my Etsy shop, MsSamWearsDresses here. I am stocking it with sweaters, wool skirts, and gorgeous winter coats! 


Comments

  1. Were you able to figure out your snood? If not, I can direct you to a wonderful tutorial :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, dear...my hair has been such a mess lately that I haven't given it a real go. Turns out that the pack I got are not all the same size. I guess how they were knitted? So some are big enough and others want to fly off. But I just got my hair cut about 6 inches (!!!) so I am ready to try again :). Thank you, I'd love to see the tutorial!

      Delete
    2. Here are two for you :) Lisa Freemont Street has several very good tutorials! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCD_Cwyaduk
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XykrYsHIDLQ
      Good luck!

      Delete
    3. I meant to ask if you knit or crochet? If you do either (or know someone who does!), this has a list of vintage snood patterns! http://www.vavoomvintage.net/search?q=snood

      Delete
    4. I've tried, but I'm terrible. I"ll have to find a friend to coerce- haha!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hey, sugar, I'd love to hear from you! If, for some odd reason, this won't let you comment, please send me a message at mssamwearsdresses@gmail.com. Thanks a ton!

Popular Posts