Vintage Look- 1950's Paper Protector Dress

This 1950's wrap housedress was a Christmas present from the hubby. As in, the hubby asked what I might like as a present. I said, "Well, there are these two dresses on eBay..." He looked relieved and told me to buy them, then give them to him to wrap and put under the tree. Hey, works for me! ;)
 Yes, I really do carry a hankie that I coordinate to my outfit, either in a pocket (this dress has one on the right side only) or in my purse. Why? Because my mid-40's body has decided to have allergies. It is both inconvenient and irritating to sniff-sniff-sniff, not actually needing to blow one's nose. A handkerchief is a ladylike solution to the problem. Above I am showing off my rose shaped vintage earrings I got in Paris.
So much dog attention
 This dress has one big button at the top, and wraps with a hook-and-eye at both left and right sides of the waist. I wear a full slip, plus put a pin underneath, through the two skirt layers. That way the wind can't cause any embarrassments!
April needed a little one-on-one lovin'
On a day when I was wearing this dress, moma and I went to see my 102 year old aunt and then treated ourselves to Goodwill. Moma found this sweater and said she thought it would be just right for me. Not only did it match my dress perfectly, but I was already super chilly. (It was mid-September then, after all. Practically winter...)
 You've seen these shoes before. I wear so much blue, that they were a perfect find.
I wore the sweater with a vintage pin I found for $3 at Encore, a little thrift shop in Gentry.
 If you were wondering all this time why I call this my "paper protector" dress, here it is! For you young pups, paper protectors were stickers that you put around the holes of loose-leaf papers so that they wouldn't rip and fall out of your binder. If it was really important, you put one on both sides of the holes. And I am just the kind of nerd who happened to still have a pack lying around. Can you see that the print of the dress is actually embossed so it looks like you could peel the circles off? I do like kitschy prints ;)
April says all that is very scintillating, but she has more important things to think about. Like itchy jowls and where she hid her bone.
 Her only dress is a pink cheerleading tutu, and she's fine with that...



Comments

  1. This may be my favorite dress. I love blues & I really love it with the sweaters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ms Jenny! I love the bright blue of the sweater mom found me with the lighter tone of the dress.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hey, sugar, I'd love to hear from you! If, for some odd reason, this won't let you comment, please send me a message at mssamwearsdresses@gmail.com. Thanks a ton!

Popular Posts