Monday's Poetry- Phillip Larken, The Mower

The Mower

By Philip Larken


The mower stalled, twice; kneeling, I found   
A hedgehog jammed up against the blades,   
Killed. It had been in the long grass.

I had seen it before, and even fed it, once.   
Now I had mauled its unobtrusive world   
Unmendably. Burial was no help:

Next morning I got up and it did not.
The first day after a death, the new absence   
Is always the same; we should be careful

Of each other, we should be kind   
While there is still time.

Comments

  1. Oh so hard...this past summer Maggie found a gorgeous fat toad in our front yard. We laughed watching her sniff & it jump. I went inside to get my camera & Charlie pulled the car out of the garage to do some clean up on it. I went back to the toad to find he had accidentally driven over it! We were both crushed....so silly in a way but sad. It turned such a light fun day dark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not silly at all! I believe that God gave us dominion over the animals, but also wanted us to see how amazing they are and how much love he put into their creation, so that we would want to care for them as best as we could. I was weed-eating this summer and hit a small milksnake. It was alive, but wounded to where it needed to be humanly put out of suffering. I was just sick!! I kept telling him I was so, so sorry. Which also seems silly, but he just looked at me, not able to understand what had happened. It is heart-breaking to be sensitive in that way, but I think we should cherish it rather than become hardened...

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hey, sugar, I'd love to hear from you! If, for some odd reason, this won't let you comment, please send me a message at mssamwearsdresses@gmail.com. Thanks a ton!

Popular Posts