Halloween Costume and Dinner Party 2018

 It's party time! I had my Halloween Costume and Dinner Party, and, as usual, I had way too much fun cooking and decorating for the affair. I found the green apple finger suckers long before I decided on a Frankenstein theme, thinking they would just be fun  treats. But no, they were Frankenstein digits! I made the name tags from copies of a clip art picture that I glued to green checked paper, then sewed a black zig-zag scar across Frankie's forehead for a little fun.
 I didn't fully cover the table in a cloth because we were going to be consuming tons of bread (three baguettes and two artisan loaves) and I knew the table would be a crumby mess. I was most excited for the appetizer course. I made homemade chicken liver pate to spread on the crusty bread. I usually make it with duck livers, but I wasn't cooking duck on this night. I pressed it into a brain shaped mold to chill and so it looked even more horrific than normal. But seasoned with green onions, garlic, Herbe de Province, and Port wine, it was delicious!
 I also made escargot baked in their own shells in a garlic and lemon butter sauce. This is the first time I have gotten to use the snail pick holder and snail platter (above)  since I brought them back from a Paris flea market, see HERE.
 I love a variety of cheeses, pickles, and olives with my pate. Here I have an aged hard Gouda, a Maytag blue, and a soft semi-ripe that I can't remember the name of, but that was my favorite. Just for fun I got these goblin fingers- dried okra with spices- at the store. I thought they looked horrifically appropriate, but they were super crunchy and not terrible.
The main course was meant to be tame, so that those who were horrified by my motley appetizers would have something to eat. I made my Grandma Tommy's spaghetti sauce (monstrous meat sauce), but cooked the (deadly) mushrooms separately in butter and thyme. I wish I had gotten a picture of them because I got all sorts of weird ones that looked wonderful and scary! Then I put a few drops of green food coloring into the dough to make my (moldy) artisan bread. The pasta was a mix of regular and a black variety. There was also a salad filled with lots of dark red lettuce and cabbage, and black grapes with slivered almonds (poisonous greens). Of course, everyone was eating and being served so I got no pictures of any of that. Except for the mozzarella (eye)balls with black olives to top the pasta. Nothing like your food looking back at you!
 Ms Wendy took the picture below and I am so glad she got a group one. I just love these folks (and the picture taker)...

 After we ate, and before we got up to take photos, we played a short game. I gave everyone a paper that just so happened to be a copy of a real library card for- what else?!- Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. On the backs they had to write as many monsters as they could think of from movie and books in one minute. My middle son, Seth, won the skull trophy! He listed 15. When I had tried it myself I only got 14. He is a pretty smart baby ;)


 Then it was picture time! My oldest, Devin, had said that he might not have time to get into a costume after his day at work. I told him the night before the party that I had a pirate coat for him to slip on when he came over and he would be fine. (The rule is: no costume, no chow.) He declined, saying he knew what he was going to be. When he came in that evening pushing a wheelchair, I had no idea. Then he changed his shirt and hopped in the chair-- Lieutenant Dan from the movie Forrest Gump. I laughed so hard!! And his sweet wife, Savvy, is very gorgeous Victorian Vampire.

 I was attempting to channel Mary Shelley for my costume, but my hair looks like I was in touch with Elvis instead. For all you history buffs out there, no hissing or spitting at me!! I know full well that Mary wrote Frankenstein in the Regency period, so the look would have been very Jane Austin. However, I have tons of antique clothing, but none quite so old. My skirt is a family piece from the civil war, so is the velvet belt that is embroidered with metal thread. The blouse is from the Edwardian period and I was trying for that style of hair also, sort of a Gibson girl up-do. So much for trying! The hubby rushed home from work, smeared his face with green grease paint while I stuffed snails, then I threw a tunic over him and drew on some scars. I'm pretty happy with my little monster!
 Moma and Pop blew us all away with their costumes again this year! ( You ought to look back and see what they were last year.) They were going to be grandma and the big bad wolf, but then she suggested that he be the wolf after he ate grandma. He thought about it and said, "Sure," flannel nightgown and all! They are such good sports...
 I have to say, if he had worn that mask when I was a kid, I would have never slept again. I had a thing about wolves...
 My dear friend, Andrea, my Paris companion, had asked to borrow a wig, dress, and apron for a surprise costume. When she came in the door she said, "Hey, sugar, let me squeeze your neck!" I laughed and hugged her and she explained, "I'm you. I'm Ms. Sam!" Wasn't that a hoot, Dear Readers? I am so blessed to have such amazing friends. Would that make her Ms. Samdrea? ;)
 My daughter in law, Emiley, had been working on her fairy costume for a good while and she looked so adorable! Her little sis, Raley, was rocking Rose the Riveter. (She got new overalls special for her costume, lucky girl!) My middle son, Seth had been pouring concrete all day for their future home, but he came as Ace Ventura.
 This is a super cool picture, because at last year's party Ms. Wendy was very, very big with triplets!! Two healthy girls and a boy later, and she looks like this! See it and weep, ladies. A smokin' hot flapper seven children later. And I am so honored that this was her first time away from the babies in nine months!
 Belle was in the photo above, but she is really joyous in the one below, where she is with her sweetheart, and my youngest son, Will. He is always smiling when she is around. She was a Spanish dancer and he was her partner, uh, obviously.
 Then it was on to desserts! Emiley made cupcakes; I made meringue brittle bones. My fancy chalkboards were a birthday present from Ms Wendy.
 The "Mystery" cake is a really good one. The secret ingredient is beets! I know, sounds awful, but it is super moist, chocolatey without being too sweet, and happens to be gluten-free. I'm actually going to do a post on it. The blood drizzle is a simple syrup made from left-over beet juice. Hey, the roaches loved it...
 And Savvy made vampire bite sugar cookies filled with strawberry jam. We were food-packed by the end of the night.
A final note. Remember that Mary Shelley was tragically widowed? Here is a mourning cloak and bonnet from the civil war period, passed down from my great-great-great grandmother Brashears. I also have her mourning dress, so tiny that it looks like it was made for a child.
Earlier in the day I was playing in the old clothes that I had pulled out of boxes. I used to wear them when I was young and pretend I was my ancestors back in those times. Guess not much has changed. I hope you take the chance to play "dress-up" this Halloween, Dear Reader. Try on someone new for an evening and have a bit of fun...

Comments

  1. It was a great party...fantastic decor, yummy food (especially the snails and brain/pate) and the best family and friends ever! You outdid yourself once again. Love you, moma





    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hey, sugar, I'd love to hear from you! If, for some odd reason, this won't let you comment, please send me a message at mssamwearsdresses@gmail.com. Thanks a ton!

Popular Posts