Lemon Blueberry Cornmeal Tea Cake


 Hello, Darlings! Remember back when I picked blueberries HERE, and I told you that I wanted to try a recipe for a blueberry cornmeal cake? Well, I tried three from Pinterest, and none of them were what I wanted. One of them was dry- the worst possible curse on a cake. Another was okay, just not overly sweet, and the lemon didn't come through at all. The last was so healthy tasting it was painful. I might as well have been making a big, bland muffin that proclaimed it was good for digestive issues, if you know what I mean. So I decided to go with what I know I like and make it my own way. You know my French Lemon Cake? I have people say all the time that is their favorite lemon cake. And not just in my little family. It is so moist and lemony, so why not just tweak it? So I did.
I made the recipe I gave you HERE and all I did differently was substitute a 1/2 cup of cornmeal for 1/2 cup of the flour in the original recipe. I love coarse grain cornmeal and have been having trouble finding it. So I used some War Eagle Cornbread Mix in it. I knew it already contained some leavening, but I didn't adjust anything. Then I threw in 1 cup of my fresh blueberries. Frozen will work too, just don't thaw them first.
I decided to bake this in a regular cake pan instead of a loaf. To me a loaf looks rustic and homey, but not particularly attractive. However, a cake round looks like it could have been make especially for tea or a party. Since I was baking it in a much shallower pan, I had to adjust the cooking time. This cooked for exactly 30 minutes, versus the almost hour of the loaf pan.
And, as you can see from the French Lemon Cake recipe, if you poke holes all in it to let the glaze run in, it is delightfully moist and lemony. But is also looks like a deranged porcupine got a hold of it. Not super pretty. So I decided to do a lemon glaze, but super thick, and let it completely frost the cake and ooze ever so gently down the sides. To make it I combined: 1 cup powdered sugar, and 1 Tbsp and 1/2 tsp of lemon juice. Why the weird measurements? It was just a tad too thick to spread with only a tablespoon of juice. I wanted it to be thick, but spreadable.
I topped it with some more fresh berries and some chamomile flowers from the herb bed.
Then I added some violas that were still gasping along in my porch pots. That made me super happy- a lemony blueberry cake that looks luscious!
And it fit right in with my 4th of July supper!
You can see that the cake is still incredibly moist, despite not being pierced for the glaze. And the sheet of frosting is mouth-puckeringly tart!
I think the cornmeal added a lovely and unexpected touch to the cake. It gave it texture and chew, much like poppy seeds would. On the second day the meal had softened a bit. On the third day I had a scrap left and I tried it just to see- the cornmeal was hardly noticeable. But it stayed moist and yummy all three days, and the blueberries were like little bursts of happiness!
So if you have tried the French Lemon Cake and enjoyed it, here is a new way to make it. It is a little classier, and a lot of fun. Just think of all the fruit possibilities out there!! And honestly, if you don't like lemon, you could simply leave out the zest and juice and have a simple, moist cake to play with. I hope that you will try this variation. And if you make it with different fruit, let me know. Cooking is always an experiment in flavors, Dear Reader, and I hope you are brave with your food!

Comments

  1. I honestly don't know how you could improve on your French lemon cake but blueberry lemon is one of my favorite flavor combinations. I'm watching for an opportunity to try this myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I do love that recipe so much. Emiley actually asked for it as her birthday cake :). But when you have a great base, then you can branch out and try new things with it!

      Delete
  2. Sam, although I seldom bake and make use of your recipes for scrumptious desserts, I thoroughly enjoy reading the step by step baking directions. You certainly have a flare with writing; both entertaining and educational. Your photographs of the whole process are beautiful and would be so easy to follow - if I ever baked! Love and miss you, Aunt Betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Aunt Betty! I read cookbooks like novels, and I hate it when they don't have picture! My favorites are when they show you how things look at each step. It makes it so much easier to be sure you are doing it right. So I try to do the same thing. I'm glad it is fun for you to see, even if you aren't baking it. I wish that you lived close enough that you could be one of my taste-testers for new recipes- wouldn't that be so fun? But know that I love you and think of you often. You have always be such an encourager fto me, and I will never forget it!

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness, that looks so yummy.
    Thank-you for sharing with us.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you approve of the additions! And I thank you for taking the time to come and visit :)

      Delete
  4. It was yummy and beautiful! I liked the consistency the cornmeal provided and the tartness of the icing was just right. Loved the blueberries and flowers on top. Love you, moma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, moma! You and Seth are the tastebuds by which I determine the success of a recipe ;). Thank you for being a willing guinea pig, he he! Love you

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hey, sugar, I'd love to hear from you! If, for some odd reason, this won't let you comment, please send me a message at mssamwearsdresses@gmail.com. Thanks a ton!

Popular Posts