Blackberry Season



 Monday was my first blackberry picking. Note that I said "picking", which indicates a serious pursuit. I did not say first "eating", because there has been a lot of grazing going on while I waited for enough to ripen to make a mess. 


Do you ever use that word? In a story that I wrote, I had my main character say they caught a mess of fish. She was questioned as to what that meant. She slyly said it was equal to a bait. When asked what that was, she replied, "A goodly amount." I love the colloquialisms of the south. Everyone in my family has used the words "mess" and "bait" in regards to fish or food at some time. (I got a mess of peaches. He picked a bait of okra.) So I looked these phrases up. Turns out that "mess" is thought to come from the Old French word mes, meaning a portion of food. And, according to Webster's Dictionary, "bait" can mean to give food and drink to an animal, especially on the road. So, perhaps it came down from that? Anyhoo, we'll say I was waiting for a goodly amount ;).


Some of the berries were small, and some were huge! But 90% of them are still pink, so the possibility of many future "messes" is great!  As I picked I kept leaning over and smelling the most heavenly smell. When I could tear my eyes off the knobs of berries, I realized that the honeysuckle had twined through the vines, making picking doubly lovely.


A not-so-lovely moment was when I was buried up in a patch and realized I was intimately pressed against a giant poison ivy plant. I immediately said to myself, "Self- don't touch your face with your hands!" A wily and telepathic mosquito heard those words and homed in on the side of my nose. All mental capacity gone, I smacked myself hard in the face. So, blackberry juice, mosquito bite, and possible poison ivy, all on the side of my snout. Blackberry picking ain't for the faint of heart, Dear Reader. And I'm not even gonna go into how chiggers make a beeline straight for the underwear elastic. Nope, that's just too much...
This is the verdant field I was picking in. It belongs to a neighbor. When I was small, old Mr. and Mrs. Curran lived there. Then their daughter, Mrs. Gwendean. She was a nice lady, and she gave me permission to pick there any time I wanted, and gave the boys free rein to explore her land. She has passed now, but her sons have continued the pact with me. I'm glad, because no one else picks the berries. In fact, a new family, from somewhere far off, moved to the woods across the road. Last year the blackberries hung so thick over their mailbox that they looked like a purposeful decoration. I gritted my teeth and passed them by. I was certain that they would pick them. I mean, they wouldn't have even had to get out of the car. But no, they let them shrivel and drop. 
This is the view toward my land. The glint of roof to the left is my hubby's shop. We are tucked down into the hollow. The little white house was Ms Gwendean's. I remember when it was hot and dry in the middle of summer, she would go out and water the road so that the dust wouldn't fly up.When she passed, they just let the house go to ruin. Soon a hole in the roof afforded the perfect entryway for raccoons. A neighbor who keeps an eye on things said he walked up one day and startled a whole herd of coons that had been congregating in the parlor. And yes, the house still has the furniture and pictures on the walls. I find it terribly sad. Especially when another neighbor told me that old Mrs Curran had kept all her dolls in the attic. When I was small, sometimes Mrs Curran would have one of the dolls out for me to see. They were big dolls, made of porcelain and swathed in lace and fancy bonnets. They were hers as a girl, so they were from the late 1800's to early 1900's. And to think that they are likely all still up there. I have this envisionment of raccoons running about on top of broken doll's faces and shreds of old lace...
My picking partner, Tater
It was on the back porch of that old house that I learned some important things about truth and kindness. Moma and I went out back to see Mr Curran, who loved to sit and gaze out over the grass and trees. I couldn't have been more than five, because he passed soon after. On that day, he said how beautiful everything was. Moma and I nodded in agreement. Then he smiled and waved his arm from left to right, saying, "And it's all mine, as far as the eye can see." I remember being troubled. I almost spoke up to say that the land on the right was all our land. (In fact, it is my land today) I saw moma smile at me, and she said, "Yes, it's all beautiful." She didn't agree it was all his. But what she did do was allow him his dignity, peace and contentment. 
There are so many memories to the land and roads around us. I can't walk without thinking of them. And there will be plenty more blackberry pickings. You know that when I have a lot of something, I just have to make things. There are a slew of blackberry recipes I am wanting to try. (Slew! Oh, I just love words!) Stay tuned for the results, Dear Reader-





Comments

  1. Oh but those berries look delicious! I loved to pick the blackberries and black raspberries that grew wild in my dad's timber when I was young. Dad and I were the only ones who would brave all the nasty little insects that would attack while we were picking. I always thought the battle worth the treasure we came home with though! The black raspberries are long died out along with the gooseberry bushes and when Dad checked the blackberries this year he said these seem to have died out too as he couldn't find hardly any. We had such a hard winter and so many plants have suffered this year.

    I was given some thornless blackberry starts this spring from a friend and so far three of them have survived. One actually has three berries on it and I'm waiting impatiently for them to ripen. Hopefully I'll have more next year. But something tells me they won't taste quite as sweet as those berries I used to have to work so hard to gather. Nothing beats tromping through the grass and weeds, climbing over dead logs and dodging low hanging tree branches with the birds and squirrels overhead, bunnies and pheasant darting by and if I was lucky, a fox to keep me company. Oh, and all the pretty wildflowers that were blooming. I tend to forget how hot it was, sticky hot and I'd have to wear long sleeves and long pants to thwart the bugs. That was the part my sister and mom refused to deal with!

    All those treasures of Mrs Curran and Ms Gwendean that are left in that house. How sad. The stories they could tell. What a beautiful memory you have of your Moma and Mr Curran. This old world needs to hear more stories like that. You have a special Moma for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What wonderful memories! We had black raspberries when I was a kid. They grew down the center of the garden where my great grandpa planted them. I thought they were the very best berries of all! but the canes got old and diseased and I haven't seen any again. Most people have never heard of them!

      Thornlesss blackberries do sound amazing. i know the ones in the grocery store are sweeter than the wild ones, but somehow have less blackberry "flavor". I hope yours are amazing!

      It astounds me that a family could just leave something to ruin like that, but i happens all the time. I am sad for great grandchildren who may wish they had some of those heirlooms... :(. And, yes, I am blessed to have my dear moma!

      Delete
  2. You got your love of picking blackberries from your pop. He got his from granny and grandad. He went out early yesterday morning and picked enough for a blackberry cobbler and some for his cereal this morning. When he was eating his cobbler last night, he said " this reminds me of childhood, we had cobbler almost every day during blackberry season when I lived with granny and grandad". Love you, moma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, he's a goodie! He loves them even more than me :)

      Delete
  3. I've never heard the word bait used for a term of measurement but I have used all the other ones.

    I haven't picked blackberries but I guess I need to go check them out. I enjoyed the raspberries earlier this summer & Charlie has been trimming around one large elderberry at the top of our ravine so I can pick them in August.

    I love the sweet story of your mamma & your neighbor. It sound just like her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bait is a word my pop uses frequently. The wild blackberries are just coming on strong and should have another couple weeks. I am excited for you to have an elderberry to play with! And, yes, you know my moma well :)

      Delete
  4. I have not heard the word bait used as measurement either. I love it! I believe our blackberry season is winding down, but I'm still on the look out for good deals at the store. We used to have blackberries and raspberries behind the shed, but the terrible summer heat we've experienced the past few summers have killed them :(

    Enjoy your wonderful taste of summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pop says "bait" all the time, and he got a lot of his speech patterns from my Great-granny and grandad who took care of him when he was small. I have always used it unconsciously! We have had so much rain and cool weather- open windows in JULY!- that our season may last longer than usual. I hate that your berries have died out. Maybe when a rainy season returns to you, so will they :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hey, sugar, I'd love to hear from you! If, for some odd reason, this won't let you comment, please send me a message at mssamwearsdresses@gmail.com. Thanks a ton!

Popular Posts