Vintage Look- a Gifted 50's Green Sweater Set


When I was working at the Wooden Spoon a couple of weeks ago, I met a very sweet lady. She was eyeing the 1950's blue sweater and skirt set I was wearing (see it HERE) and she mentioned that her mom wore ones like it when she was growing up. Then she said that she had been shopping not long ago and had acquired a sweater set. Not with the intention of wearing it, just for nostalgia. Then she said she wanted to give it to me!
 I was surprised to say the least, especially since we were strangers. But she asked my name so that she could it on the clothing when she dropped it off at the restaurant. When I told her it was Sam, she said it would be easy to remember, because her name was Rocky. I thanked her and we said our goodbyes. I thought the sentiment was so sweet, but surely there was someone she knew that she would rather give the set to. But this Monday my son brought me a dry-cleaning bag with this beautiful outfit inside! I was beyond excited, but mostly so very touched. I put it on and it fit perfectly.
 Moma reminded me how I had been saying that I loved green so much and wanted to wear more of it. It seemed meant to be.
 I paired it with a 1940's novelty pin that features a rhinestone-studded arachnid. He is such a sweet little spider, and he even has green eyes! In a picture above you can see that I am also wearing my Great-granny's rather garish bracelet. It is covered in colored stones as well.
 And brown shoes, y'all! Remember how I was lamenting my lack of basic brown shoes? Well, I purchased these off Amazon with some Christmas money. The heels are nice and thick and not too high. The ankle strap and cutouts make them look just like a 40's pair. I know I will get lots of use out of these.
 Isn't this the greatest story? One kind stranger, feeling nostalgic for her mother, passes on a gift that brings joy to the heart of another. You can't know how much I appreciate your sweet gesture, Ms. Rocky. And I will smile and think of you each time I wear it!

Comments

  1. Oh how wonderful!!! That green is fantabulous on you!!! I love love love the very best part of wearing anything vintage, is how it seems to connect you with another person. Sometimes through memories, sometimes they are envious, sometimes it's a smile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Green has always been a favorite color, my living room is even green. But I haven't ever seemed to wear a lot of it. Going to Paris and seeing all the lovely Kelly Green in clothing lifted my spirits so that I know I want to wear it more. And yes, wearing vintage really is a people connector. I have so many that tell me they, a mother, an aunt, wore something like I have on. That makes both of us smile!

      Delete
  2. Oh, wow what a nice woman to give you such a beautiful dress! I love green. It battles with purple with being my favorite color. But that is an awesome story.

    Except the spider brooch...I am TERRIFIED of spiders. I can handle small ones with thin legs, but anything beyond that...no. I have regular nightmares about trantusals crawling over me...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn't she so kind? It is the little random things that people do that stick with you. Green and blue are my favorite colors. The colors of the sky and grass, and also my favorites in clothing.

      I understand, my moma is terrified of snakes and has had dreams her whole life that she was covered in them, or walking through them. I prefer to think of my little pin spider as a male version of Charlotte, from the book Charlotte's Web. She was such a kind and clever little thing that you coulnd't help but love her :)

      Delete
    2. I remember watching that movie as a kid, and it is on my list to read. I'm going through BBC's list challenge. Here let me link it.

      https://www.listchallenges.com/bbcs-top-100-books-you-need-to-read-before-you-die

      And I believe it is on there, so I'm going to read it eventually. So far I have only 34 books read of that list. It will probably take me a few years to complete it because there was other books I want to read as well. Yesterday, I finished "Hunchback of Notre Dame"

      I am not that scared by snakes, a little, but spiders OMG! I can't stand them.

      Delete
    3. I will look at the book challenge, I admire pretty much everything BBC does. I have been thinking about re-reading, or with some first-time-reading, the classics. I recently read the unabridged version of "Peter Pan", and I just found "Mary Poppins". I'll be interested to see how many I've read on the list!

      Delete
  3. I am with FaithfulRose when it comes to spiders...& your mamma when it comes to snakes. I've had nightmares about both. Around Halloween I go around with blinders on because I seriously cannot let any spooky thing into my mind if I want to sleep at night!

    Green is my favorite color. This set looks as if it were made for you. What a sweet, kind lady...there are so many kind people in the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, spiders and snakes, that makes for pitfalls both inside and out! But I glad you can take such joy in the outdoors and nature regardless. I think most nature lovers inherently adore green, don't you? It's in so much that we love. And yes, she was just so sweet! When people talk all doomsday I always think how many good, kind people there still are :)

      Delete
  4. Beautiful...love the green! What a kind soul to share her memories and sweater set with you. Love you, moma P.S. thanks for the snake dream reminder, just what I didn't need...ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was so sweet! I need to find her out...And you know I have to kid you about snakes ;)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hey, sugar, I'd love to hear from you! If, for some odd reason, this won't let you comment, please send me a message at mssamwearsdresses@gmail.com. Thanks a ton!

Popular Posts