Chicken Gnocchi Soup- better than Olive Garden!

Do you remember back when I went to the Olive Garden and had a soup that I was sure I could improve on? It was the Zuppa Toscana, HERE. When I found out that my son's sweetheart had a favorite soup there, so I was determined to be able to make it for her. It was Olive Garden's Chicken Gnocchi soup. It just so happens that a sweet friend of mine (Hello, Ms. Andrea! :), had a copycat recipe that she said was even better! I had never tasted the soup, so I was excited to try.
It is a simple soup that comes together quickly and easily. You heat olive oil and saute onion, celery, and garlic. Whisk in flour to make a roux (thickened mixture) and then stir in half and half. I never have that, so I literally mix half cream and half milk.
In the meantime, you cook your gnocchi. I found this at the local Wal-Mart with the regular pasta. The only time I have ever eaten gnocchi was as a side to duck at a fancy restaurant. But it was made with sweet potatoes, boiled till cooked through, then panfried in butter and sage leaves. It was very good, but I wasn't sure about it in a soup.
Here I have everything in its place, waiting its turn in the pot. It makes things easier and cooking a joy.
I boiled these up like it said, waiting till they floated to the top, then drained. I tasted one. Yuck. I was certain I had done something wrong. It tasted like a pasty little glue-dumpling. But I persevered.
Next you add carrots and the chicken. I was so happy- I had gotten a rotisserie chicken for my son and I on a night when hubby was away. Will and I are dark meat eaters, so i had both breasts left. It was the exact amount I needed for the soup, so I didn't have to cook any chicken. Just thought I'd mention that in case you have a rotisserie bird hanging about ;).
When the soup has thickened you add the broth, then the gnocchi, chopped fresh spinach, and seasonings. I added almost twice the amount of spinach. I figure if it's in there, I want to at least be able to see it! You let it simmer a few minutes and taste for salt and pepper.
I dished it up with crusty chucks of bread. It was delicious! Somehow those tasteless little dumplings become infused with the flavors of the broth and become wonderful. The texture was great, the veggies were yummy, and the broth was wonderful. And you know what? Belle said that it really was better than Olive Garden! Hooray, now I can make her favorite soup for her :). So, another great wintry soup to add to the repertoire. Does this sound good to you, Dear Reader? If so, you can find the recipe at CopyKat Chicken Gnocchi Soup. Enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts