Vintage Look- English Hunting Outfit


This outfit has two vintage pieces, but it is hard for me to believe they can be categorized as such. The vest and the pin are from when I was in high school...25 years ago. I have become vintage in my own time! I got this vest in high school, but never wore it till a couple of years ago. Sounds crazy, right?
You see, we got a Sam's Club card waaaay back when the stores first opened. It was such an amazing thing! And there were really great items to be found back then. This vest was one. I saw it and swooned. It is a wool tweed with a suede leather collar and waist cinch. It was something I imagined a British heroine striding across the moors in. And my dear Pop went back and got it and gave it to me for Christmas. Isn't that the sweetest? But I couldn't wear even the smallest size. (I was like a little bird back then) I wouldn't let him return it; I loved it none-the-less. And I kept it all these years, until I was, ah, robust enough to fit into it.
I paired it with a wool tweed skirt from Cato that I got thrifted, and a super soft brown sweater that was my Grandma Tommy's. The brass pin is one from my youth. My boots are amazing! I had been wearing a pair of cute brown boots for years, but they were plastic and began to peel like a hippo with a sunburn. Not attractive. What I really wanted were soft, yummy leather boots, but I am way too cheap to pay for them. My hubby finally said that was what he was getting me for my birthday. After an exhaustive search, (Okay, maybe three stores. I am a horrible shopper!) I was flabbergasted at the prices. Then my hubby went to Cabella's for some hunting stuff and there I found these boots. Supple leather, cushioned sole, great tread, and waterproof! All for $99. Yes, that made me gag, but I also knew that they would be worn every winter from now on until they died of sheer exhaustion. They are in their third winter and I love them so much. Moral of the story- check a sporting goods store for great women's boots.
I put on this outfit and felt like calling my hunting hounds and carrying my gun over the fields. (Two of the magnificent beasts are below :)
 Not as if I'd shoot anything but skeet, but I definitely felt like one of those great British ads with the women all in tweed and sensible shoes. It made me decide to try something with my hair that would suit it. I had a small hair form thingy that is made of mesh and meant to roll hair up on. I tried and think I got it too high on the back of my head to be a Gibson Roll, which was the intention. Oh well, it felt the part anyway.
I guess the point is, I may not have worn this vest for twenty years, but the gesture of my Pop getting it for me in secret was enough for me to keep it with fond memories. And now I can wear it and practice my striding about, just in case I ever do get to the English moors...

*Just a little note for your edification- hippos do not sunburn. I don't know why I use that phrase, it just makes me smile to think of a large grey hippo peeling down to pink wrinkly-ness. In reality, hippos naturally secrete a super strong sunscreen. In fact, it is so good that scientists think that it could keep humans from any danger of burning in the hot sun. However, it smells positively VILE! So until they figure out how to "de-scent" it, there's not a whole lot of hope for us preternaturally pale folks ;)

Comments

  1. I'll be heading to Cabeala's to look for boots! I have such a hard time finding shoes I can wear, let a lone boots. Thanks for the tip.

    You look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear friend! I really think its a great place to look, I love that they are waterproof and made for the outdoors :)

      Delete
  2. I just saw this: Thank goodness the English have abolished hunting. I love foxes; and cannot bear the thought of them being shot. Nice outfit, though.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hey, sugar, I'd love to hear from you! If, for some odd reason, this won't let you comment, please send me a message at mssamwearsdresses@gmail.com. Thanks a ton!

Popular Posts