Vintage Look- Blue Gingham Cross Stitch dress


When it is 66 degrees in February you take advantage of it! A perfect day for wearing a 1950's quarter-length sleeved dress that you can just pull a sweater over if the wind gets nippy.
 Here I am wearing the red flats I got at Walmart for $5; they are what I would wear to work with this outfit. I loved this dress for so many reasons- but mainly because the gingham and the cross stitching makes me think of tons of my antique aprons. What is better than wearing a dress that looks like my granny's aprons? Nothing at all. But there was the slight problem that the dress was a tad short for me. I don't like my knees to show. A sweet little eyelet slip I found at Goodwill did the trick of covering up my knock-knees and looking like a little petticoat peeking out.
The red brightens up the dress so much that I borrowed a belt from a vintage dress, see HERE, to accent the waist. And since I wasn't wearing a coat, I could pin on one of my lovely vintage corsages. I'm also wearing some 40's screwback earrings that were my Grandma Tommy's and look like clusters of red berries.
 The carnations are made of velvet, and they still have the cord with the pricetag on them. I don't want to take it off because I love it. The price was 29 cents ;)
 I love the dress with my favorite red Hushpuppy heels; I've shown these to y'all several times.
Here is a close-up of the needlework. It is cross stitch with thick crewel work flowers in between that are just gorgeous. It was such a talented lady who made this. She really lavished her skill and love into it, and I cherish it! Underneath is the little slip. Goodwill is an amazing place to find vintage slips. 

What about you, Dear Reader, have you ever added something to make a skirt look longer? Is the weather where you are still cold and wintry? I know that March usually holds some of our worst winter storms, so I am not under the delusion that this warmth will last. My Granny would say, "Make hay while the sun shines." I say- Wear your springy dress while the winter sun shines warm!

Comments

  1. I just love this dress! I love gingham of any color, and it does remind me of some of my sweet vintage aprons! And pairing it with red is just delightful! The petticoat is a genious idea! I have several skirts that are shorter than I'd prefer and this would be perfect!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I am a real sucker for gingham! Pretty slips are great for short skirts!

      Delete
  2. What a fabulous dress! And I love the added slip! The little pop of red is gorgeous and the corsage is just the perfect touch! Lovely as always :) It is gray, cold, and rainy here on the East Coast today, though tomorrow it is to be gray, warm, and rainy! lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I used to hate red, but now it is a favorite. It was lovely yesterday and cold and windy today. But I will take the nice days whenever we can get them!

      Delete
  3. Oh my heart! I love that dress and the peek of slip is perfect! The embroidery reminds me of the chicken-scratch (type of needlework) pillow I made in elementary school. You may someday tempt me out of my jeans and yoga pants, until then I will live fabulously dressed vicariously thru you! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! I love the thought of tempting you out of jeans ;). Thank you so much. I have enjoyed visiting you blog and seeing all your lovely handiwork. I can cross stick and embroider with thread and ribbon, but that thick, luscious sticking for the flowers is beyond me!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hey, sugar, I'd love to hear from you! If, for some odd reason, this won't let you comment, please send me a message at mssamwearsdresses@gmail.com. Thanks a ton!

Popular Posts