Vintage Look- 1950's Cornflower Blue Sweater Set

I have always wanted a vintage sweater set. Not a set like a sleeveless sweater with cardigan. No, the matching sweater and skirt that look so classic and elegant. I really never expected to find one in my price range, and if I did, it was sure to have some real problems. It probably would have been a midnight snack for an entire family of ravenous moths, or survived an attack with an ice pick. But, "hope springs eternal in the human breast"! (Alexander Pope, y'all ;)

  So, in June I typed in Vintage Sweater Set on eBay. Just on a whim, and this little doll came up. It was the greatest color. Do you remember cornflower blue? It was my favorite color in the crayon box, a dusty grey-blue. I wonder if they even still make it...
Whew! I look like a very scary librarian in this one...
The set was my exact size, a favorite color, and it was a great price. So what in the heck was wrong with it?! Not a thing, Dear Reader. All I can think is that someone didn't sell it over the winter and decided to get rid of it for much cheaper than any set I have ever laid my peepers on. Even after I got it, I couldn't believe it. Not a spot on it anywhere. Crazy happy-dance all over the place!
This one says, "If you lose one of my books,  I'll have to hurt you. Just sayin'"
Something I love so much about vintage sweaters is that most of them were very fitted. Bulky cardigans were generally worn with casual clothes at home or work. This sweater makes certain there are no unsightly lumps or folds in the knit. There is a zipper at the side to make sure it follows the line of the torso and doesn't sag at the waistline. 
There is another zipper at the back of the neck to bring everything together smoothly and make sure that the collar is pert. It's incredible that sweater knit can look so streamlined and tailored.
I wore this to church on a very cold day and added a special hat that moma got me several years ago from a wonderful hat shop in Eureka Springs, AR. I was also wanting to embellish my top with one of my vintage pins, but I was a bit terrified of putting the bar through my beautiful knit and making a pull or a hole.I tried some of my strings of pearls ( it looks like a pearl necklace kind of collar, doesn't it?) but they just didn't suit. Perhaps I will come up with a stroke of genius when I wear it next.
It is hard to know what to do with waist-length hair in a close fitting hat. I wanted to put my hair up to show the collar off, and so I put it into a very flattened bun against the back of my head. There was still so much hair that it made the hat a bit tight. Someday I will have figured out the perfect vintage style to do with my awkward hair. So many dreams ;)

Below I am looking at a favorite chair of my Great-aunt Jane's. Isn't the vintage fabric just great? And so comfy to sit and read and rock in...
This post is just the place to give you one of my favorite clothing tips- look for things out of season. I found this at a time when everyone was sick of cold weather and longing for cotton sundresses. I search Goodwill all summer long for sweaters, because that is often when people are going through and getting rid of them.  Don't get trapped into only looking for what you can wear right this minute. Say it with me: delayed gratification.
This is a 1950's Bradley Zephyr Wool set. I've had this sweetheart since June, dreaming of the day when I would get to wear it. Good (and cozy warm) things come to those who wait! 

*needing some warm weather vintage to get you through the winter? Check out my Etsy shop MsSamWearsDresses


Comments

Popular Posts