Vintage Look- 60's Turquoise Dress and headband


This dress came from a local Goodwill and I admit I got it because of the color. I'm not a huge fan of 60-70's dresses, but this one is trying to be a throwback to the 1940's. 


I forgive it a lot of things simply because it is one of my favorite colors and it is so comfortable to wear. The dress has an elastic waist that opens onto a wrap top. You simply pull it on and fasten the buttons over the elastic- very comfy!
I tried to accentuate the 40's vibe with a head piece I made of vintage millinery pieces I already had. A velvet and netting headband and a turquoise cluster of flowers turned out so nicely that I am looking for other dresses to wear it with. And below you can see I added a celluloid Scotty dog pin that I found for 50 cents. It has the name "Peggy" on it. When I wore this to work at the Wooden Spoon, I had so many people leave, saying, "Thanks, Peggy!" I just smiled and nodded. But when people who actually knew me started calling me Peggy, I just had to laugh.


Below I am showing a very common fix for me. I wear lots of vintage wrap dresses and only some have a snap or hook to keep them closed at a certain spot. I am not a buxom person, but I still don't care to wear things with a low neckline. The simple and easy fix to this problem, with vintage or modern dresses or shirts, is to slip a pin under the the flap of the collar that lays topmost. Pin it so that it catches the neckline on the other side at the point where you want the garment to stay closed. When you put the collar back down, the pin is concealed and you are secure in the knowledge that you are not going to glance down after talking to someone, and realize your blouse has been open to your navel the whole time! (Slips are also a great help, but they are a subject for another post...)
He had a toothbrush and soap bath, but he is still a dingy dog! That's okay, I love him anyway.
You can tell the time period of the dress by the type style on the label. Still early enough to be made in the USA, though! That's one of the great things about vintage- from the 1970's on back you can almost guarantee that the item was made right here in the US. It wasn't till the early 80's that American brands began sending their clothing overseas to be made.
These are lovely patent heels I found on eBay some years back. Patent scuffs terribly, but I have found that a Magic Eraser, used very gently, will remove the black scuff and not mar the shiny finish.
What is your favorite era of vintage clothing? If you found a pin you loved with someone else's name on it, would you wear it? Just curious, Dear Reader...

Comments

  1. My favorite era of vintage clothing is the 1940's (those swing dresses!), followed by the classic Dior New Look of the 50's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My fav is the 40's, everything from classic line and tailored suits to beautiful flowing rayon dresses. But I love the linear lines and guazy fabrics of the 30's, and some of the 50's fabric patterns are so much fun! I'm just glad we have all of them to choose from ;)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hey, sugar, I'd love to hear from you! If, for some odd reason, this won't let you comment, please send me a message at mssamwearsdresses@gmail.com. Thanks a ton!

Popular Posts