Croissant aux Amonde (almond croissants)

 While in Paris I was blessed to eat some amazing things. But some of the ones that stuck with me the most were quite humble. Take these almond croissants for instance. If a bakery makes too many and they don't sell, they don't just put them out again as day-old, oh no. The French are far too cunning at using their leftovers for that- just see my post Pain Perdu, or Lost Bread, if you don't believe me.

You start by making your croissants. This takes approximately 17 hours, including the dough's rest period. You should start right now so you can have some to get stale overnight. Did I make my own croissants?! What kind of question is that? Honestly, I'm downright insulted by the insinuation that I would use anything less than homemade... Okay, you got me. I bought these little suckers in a plastic clamshell at Wal-mart. But I didn't have to worry about them being fresh or of good quality if I wanted them to be stale, now did I? And yes, my tongue is sticking out right now.

So anyway, they take their stale rolls and they make an almond cream, and an almond syrup, and add a little bit of the sliced nuts. (Don't worry, the recipe will be at the bottom ;)

They cut open the bread and slather one side with the almond cream, and the other side with the almond syrup.

This is the almond syrup. I would never have thought to use almond meal to create a glaze to brush on bread to give it moisture.
 Do you see how it permeates the bread while suspending all those luscious almond flecks?
Then you close the roll on it's secret heavenliness and spread a bit more cream on the top and sprinkle with sliced nuts. Now it looks like a completely different animal than the day before. And it will taste like a different one too.
Then you bake till golden brown. Don't worry about drying out the croissants. The filling, the syrup, and the topping meld with the bread and make it deliciously moist and flavorful.

You can't imagine how anxious I was when these came out of the oven. They looked like what I had in Paris. They smelled like what I had in Paris. But could they ever compare???

Dear Reader, they were blissful. I had to sit down and just look at them as I ate and let myself think about Paris. They were so good that I had to have my moma and pop over to sample them so they could have an idea of what I ate in France. I collared my middle son when he came by to work on his truck. They rolled their eyes and munched and made all the appropriate noises. I was so happy that they could be tasting a little bit of my trip, right there in my kitchen!

I have multiple posts about my trip to Paris, go to my home page and look for Paris under the spot that says "labels". When you click on the word Paris it will bring up posts about our weeklong trip, and other Paris-y things. Just keep going through Older Posts to see them all. Here's one to get you started- Paris Trip- Musee de Orsay, Vintage, and the Eiffel Tower. I hope you'll take a look and have a little "armchair journey". It would be even better if you could be munching these croissants while you do it ;)

This recipe is from the Bouchon cookbook my moma got me for Christmas, before I had ever even gone to Paris! 

An awesome thing about this recipe is you make all the components day before. Then you can wake up and all you do is slather your ready-made croissants, bake them while sipping your coffee and attempting to become a human being, and et voila! You have croissant aux amandes just like from a Parisian cafe. 

You will need:
6 large size croissants
1/2 cup sliced almonds
Almond Cream
Almond Syrup

To make the almond cream:
 2.5 ounces softened butter
1/2 cup + 2 1/2 Tbsp almond flour or almond meal
2 and 1/4 tsp regular flour
1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp powdered sugar
2 Tbsp + 2 tsp of beaten eggs

(forgive all the strange measurements- it is converted from the European grams)

Beat the butter till smooth and then add in the other ingredients, beating each one in until the mixture is smooth and spreadable. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight, or up to four days.

To make the almond syrup-
1/4 cup + 2Tbsp sugar
1/4 cup +1 Tbsp water
2 Tbsp almond four or meal

Stir together in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cover and refrigerate overnight or up to one month. This makes much more than needed for the 6 croissants. They suggest using the extra to moisten cakes. Or you could just save it and make another batch of almond croissants!

When you are ready to make the rolls, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, this is optional, but saves on cleanup. 

Slice open the croissants, leaving one side uncut so that you can close it back on the filling. Spread almond cream onto one side of the rolls, leaving a bit in the bowl to give the tops a smear. On the other side, brush a good layer of almond syrup. You will only use about half of it. 

Close the rolls, then use the last of the almond cream to smear on the tops. You can just sprinkle the cream with the sliced almonds, or press the rolls into the nuts to make sure they adhere. Bake 18-20 minutes till the nuts are golden brown. Cool them enough to not be lethal and then eat with a big cup of sugary, creamy coffee! (Okay, the last part is optional, but so good with it!)

I really hope you try this recipe for a little taste of Paris. And if you get all crazy and decide to make homemade croissant rolls you are lawfully required to drive straight to my house and share them. Seriously...
Picnicking on the Seine in Paris








Comments

Popular Posts