Gluten-free Chocolate Souffle Cookies



Gluten-free baking is something new to me. I noticed recipes cropping up with that in the name, but I didn't pay any attention. I hunt for recipe strictly by "yum-factor", not by certain ingredients. However, this changed when I taught a biology class that included a girl who was gluten intolerant. You may wonder why that would matter in a science class. Well, I teach high school biology classes to homeschool students, in my home. And I always tell them that Julia Child once said that " a party without cake is just a meeting." I consider a class without snacks terribly boring. So my kiddos know they are going to get something homemade to snack on while we are talking. And you know that baked thing is gonna be sweet!
But when I had my gluten intolerant gal thrown into the mix, I had to up my baking game. I am not the kind to simply make something because one person can choke it down. No, it has to be yummy enough that everyone will want to eat it. And these cookies fit the bill. In fact, I even had one boy who begged him moma to call and get the recipe for their family. Here you go, Dear Reader, a gluten-free recipe that everyone can love!

You can find Dominique Ansel's recipe HERE. I do have to warn you, this cookie batter has to rest in the fridge overnight. Which I do not normally put up with, because I like instant cookie gratification. But if you are needing gluten-free + yum, you will be willing to forgive the waiting. Another thing to note- if you need this to truly be gluten-free, you need to check your cornstarch, some has flour mixed in.
Since you can go to the above link and print the recipe, I am just going to show you how I did it. For one thing, I did not use a double boiler to melt the chocolate while I melted the butter in a microwave (which would be difficult as I don't even OWN one). Why the extra steps and dirty bowls when butter and chips melt together so nicely in a regular pan?
When you have the chocolate and butter melted, you are going to mix the dry ingredients in a bowl, and then add the eggs (aren't mine pretty?! :) and whisk till smooth.
Then stir all that melty chocolate goodness into the batter!
Fold in the remaining chips. I did not add the pecans to this because I have kids in classes that don't like them, plus they can be another allergen. My family loves pecans, but I'm still uncertain I would add them. It would add texture and chew to a cookie that is like a pillow-y souffle if the nuts are absent. I may have to try them both ways some day for a taste test...Then you cover the top with cling wrap, placing it directly onto the surface of the batter so that it doesn't make a skin on the top.
Here is the batter the next day, looking like a bowl of truffle filling and begging to just be eaten with a spoon!
You want to really follow the recipe from here on out. So line your trays with parchment paper. It helps the cookie to grip as they swell up like souffles and then fall and crackle. Also makes cleanup a breeze. I will say that the dough was messy. You are supposed to "break the dough into pieces the size of your palm" and then roll into balls. Well, this stuff is just as sticky as truffle dough. It is going to coat your hands like paint. Then you press the cookies out into a disk. My advice is to work very fast so the dough stays as cold as possible. And don't worry if your "disks" are misshapen or sloppy. Remember that the cookies swell up and fall- they will shape themselves.

What I really like about this recipe is that it doesn't just give a cook time. It tells you what to look for to know that the cookie is ready. Every oven is different, and if you cook just by a timer your results will often be disappointing. Here Dominique Ansel tell you to remove the tray when "the cookies are just beginning to crack on top but the dough is set on the edge and has a soft spot in the center (about the size of a quarter)". Listen to the man and your cookies will the perfect consistency!
These cookies really are delicious, gluten-free or not. But I will say that when I make a new recipe, I always save one little bit to the next day. Even if it is so good I want to consume them all. This way I can tell how well an item keeps. This cookie is just fine the second day, but nothing special. If you want them to be something that kids beg the recipe for, then serve them the day they are made.

Do you have people you love who are gluten intolerant? Then this would be a sweet treat for them. And your other darlings will love it as well :)

Comments

  1. Our oldest daughter is gluten intolerant so I appreciate adding a good recipe to my collection for her. Thank you! What about keeping the dough in the fridge and baking some each day until they are gone?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Ms. Lana! I think that would work nicely, as long as you kept the surface covered with clingwrap, and you used it all in a few days. I don't know how well the leavening would maintain it's potency past 3 days. I hope you try it and love them :)

      Delete
  2. This looks like a recipe I need to try! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was going to make these the last time you were out, and ran out of time! I think you'll really enjoy them. And you could half the recipe :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hey, sugar, I'd love to hear from you! If, for some odd reason, this won't let you comment, please send me a message at mssamwearsdresses@gmail.com. Thanks a ton!

Popular Posts