Have Pavlova, Will Travel

 You, Dear Reader, surely know how much I love Pavlovas by now. I really can't count how many times I have mentioned my addiction. And now that the weather is in it's slide toward autumn, I have picnicking on my mind! I do so love a beautiful, thought out picnic! So I was wondering- are pavlovas doable for a special picnic? The answer is YES!
The pavlova shells will keep nicely for several days if you let them cool completely, then put them in a Ziploc bag or tightly covered container. Humidity is the enemy of meringue. Pack your shells, and either a container of berries, or small mason jars for fun, individual servings. I always make homemade whipping (pronounced- whooping) cream. I do not like cool whip or any of the other convenience creams. However, I relented for a picnic, simply because I was afraid homemade whipped cream would break as it got warm. This can was settled into a bag with a bit of ice in the bottom and stayed cold forever! One much make allowances at times ;)
Pack the pretty dishes, whether they be non-breakable melamine, or thrift store china. And real silverware is best. I do hate to try to cut something (like a really crusty pavlova) and have a plastic fork bend and send the food shooting off the plate. There is no horror quite like losing a pavlova to the grass...
Fill your shell with your handy-dandy cheater whipped cream. Hey, it does make pretty ripples when it comes out! And top with your berries. These Mason jars are the smallest size they make. I get them to can samples of my jellies. They were the perfect size to hold just enough berries for an individual dessert with a couple left-over for snacking.
Sweet success! A delicious dessert, on a vintage quilt, overlooking a lovely green expanse. All I needed was a lace parasol and someone to carry my massive Victrola and records along so I could be serenaded with the proper music ;)
The sweet little gingham can lids were from none other than Dollar General! I didn't can with them so that I could keep them just as reusable lids for times like this.
And there you have it, Dear Reader. A perfectly transportable dessert, that also transports you to a beautiful state of mind. I hope that you have picnic possibilities brewing so that you will be ready when that perfect cool day comes. I keep my hamper packed with important items so that it is ready at a moment's notice.
And don't think I am stuffy about picnics! I love a PB&J sandwich thrown in a sack with a flask of milk, and going on a spur-of-the-moment adventure. It is the eating outdoors, and the company you choose, that makes the food taste so wonderful. But if you are interested in beautiful, yet simple and travel-worthy food, I will do a post on the perfect French sandwich. It is my go-to for delicious portable food. Let me know, sugar, if you are in the mood to picnic!

Comments

  1. Dear Ms. Sam,
    What a wonderful idea! I would never have thought of eating pavlova on a picnic. Our hens are beginning to produce a plethora of eggs, so I'll have to give it a try! I will have to also look for those cute jar lids at the Dollar General . . .
    Cheers,
    Marqueta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Ms Marqueta! I'm so crazy about pavlovas (I think I have tried them seven different ways so far!) that I just look for excuses to eat them ;). And then you can use the leftover yolks for all kinds of other yummy things- like chocolate pots de creme! Hope you find some of the lids. They had ones with strawberries on them as well!

      Delete
  2. So how far will you travel with your pavlova?! I love picnics. I have hard time getting my sweetheart to go on picnics but I grew up with lots of picnics in the summer & my boy & I had many of them while dad was at work over the years. I don't know what it is about eating outside that feels like such an adventure. And to me, picnic season is coming with the cooler weather of fall & low/no humidity.

    I can get my sweetheart to picnic often on the screened porch....I guess that counts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eating outside does feel like an adventure, even if it is only in your backyard! I know you so enjoy that beautiful screened porch. It is beautiful! My sweetie doesn't like to sit with his feet in the grass- even to eat at the picnic table. We don't have ticks or chiggers in the yard, but he is not a fan of bugs at all. However, the kids are always up for a picnic of any type. And I will often picnic by myself, simply because it make me feel happy :)

      Delete
  3. I have never had pavlova but it sure sounds good! We have lots of picnics when we camp - I always think food tastes better when it's eaten outside! Once in awhile we will picnic at home. And I love to sit with my feet in the grass! My favorite thing about warm weather - no shoes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never had a pavlova until I made me one! It is not something you ever find in my neck of the woods. The pictures were so beautiful that I tried it solely on looks ;), but when I tasted it I was hooked! They are every bit as fantastic to eat, I hope you get to try on sometime. Camping picnics are so much fun! I'm barefoot pretty much all the time I am home, grass is a lovely feeling :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hey, sugar, I'd love to hear from you! If, for some odd reason, this won't let you comment, please send me a message at mssamwearsdresses@gmail.com. Thanks a ton!

Popular Posts