Vintage Look- 40’s Green Gingham Peplum Set

 This little outfit has waited a long while for it's time to shine. You know how I am about buying things "out of season". That's when you get the best deals. So when I saw this set in the spring I almost swallowed my teeth. Green AND gingham?? My two favorites in fabric, combined with a peplum blouse with quarter-length sleeves and a mid calf skirt. Every single thing I love in one fell swoop!

 

The hard part about these amazing unseasonal finds is that you then have to put them away and dream of the time you can wear them. So all summer she hung in the back of the closet, teasing me with a glimpse of her skirt every so often when I sifted through the hangers. But then Fall finally happened, and her she is!

I paired her with my great-granny's hat that you may have seen in my video HERE. The wonderful cut-out gloves were my Great Aunt Jessie's. The sweet metal mesh purse was from the delightful Della Deville's vintage shop right close in Springdale, Arkansas. And since my set had lost her belt, I added one of my grandma Betty's.
When I look through these pictures it reads like a silent movie for me: "All dressed up for town, now where is that grocery list? Oh, dear.  I need to sit down so I can dig through all the crap, pardon me, necessities that fill my purse." And finally the one below. "You've got to be kidding me! Sigh. I'd best go make another one..."
That scenario is far too close to real life- he he! But at least I would be looking spiffy while  in the midst of angst.
Above you get a close-up of my accessories. Look at those sweet little earrings.

And here is the tag inside the blouse. I was sold this outfit as a 1940's set. And I would have sworn that to be true. It had all the markers, from the longer slim-line skirt, to the long, ungathered peplum. It just says 40's to me. However, when I put this outfit up on a vintage site that I am a member of, a sweet lady attached a link to read about the woman who created this label. And if it is correct, then this style of label would have come about around 1956.  I sincerely hope you will use the link below to read about the designer, Nell Donnelly Reed. Her life story read like a dime novel!! From abduction and being rescued by shady characters, to living to 102 year of age. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. It just makes me love my little gingham Nelly Don all the more :)


 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nell_Donnelly_Reed

Comments

  1. I love the gloves!

    Green is my favorite color so this is one of my favorite outfits that you've shared.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of my favorites also! I just really couldn't believe my luck when I saw that it was green and gingham, and a good price. Then I had this horror that it wouldn't fit when it came! I think it would be fun to use the pieces as separates as well. Maybe a white blouse or sweater with a green scarf of my grandma's. And it was hard to decide on the gloves! I have so many pairs that would have looked nice, even some green ones. Oh, I wish it was a "thing" to wear gloves in public nowadays!

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful outfit, Ms Sam! It suits you perfectly!! I adore those gloves :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear! I truly love it. And I have two little suitcases filled with gloves that were my great Aunt Jessie's. I love to accessorize with vintage hats, jewelry, and purses. But, unfortunately, I've never worn gloves out in public! I wish that it was still something that was done...

      Delete
  3. That outfit is just the sweetest! How nice that you have pretty heirlooms to wear. It's fun researching fashion designers, isn't it? Thank you for the link!
    Love,
    Marqueta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear, and heirlooms are make your feel so happy when you wear them! I hope you enjoy the link, I found her so interesting and never would have known about her without happening on this outfit :) Hope you have a lovely day!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hey, sugar, I'd love to hear from you! If, for some odd reason, this won't let you comment, please send me a message at mssamwearsdresses@gmail.com. Thanks a ton!

Popular Posts