Vintage Look- 1940's gray floral dress with sheer ruffling

I actually took these pictures back in April, but just yesterday  (November 6th) the sunshine got the temp up into the 70's! I knew it would be the last chance to get this gal out before spring came again. It was so wonderful to wear a light happy frock after the freezing weather we have had. And even better it was on a foray to Hobby Lobby with my daughter-in-law, grandbaby, and moma! With the virus worsening every day I was determined to get to the craft store to stock up on items for projects I wanted to work on over the winter. Especially since it is likely that we will be spending most of our time at home. The last time I had entered Hobby Lobby was the eve before it closed in the spring, having to lock the doors because of Covid. It had been so long!
We went with lists and masked, prepared to get out needs and sprint out. Moma did not feel safe about going in, so she sat in the car with Vincent and they played as we girls shopped. Our "sprint" turned out to be more than an hour (cough-wince). It is all well and good to have lists of needs, but that store features so much delicious eye-candy that it is hard not to slow the sprint to a shamble while drool collects in the corner of the mouth. But I did get everything on my list, and I am so excited! I have things for a new photo album, fabric, some floral stems to decorate my parlor mantel in winter, and some fun items to play with.
But back to the dress! I found this amazing 1940's dress at Della Deville's amazing shop in Springdale, AR. I have several vintage items from her- from dresses to purses, and I love them all! But this little sweetheart, oh my!  She is too big for me, that didn't stop me getting her.There is a tie-back, so I was able to cinch it up a bit, but it still bags at the bosom area. No comments about that!

If you saw the photos of my Sewing Closet   ,you will have seen this darling hanging in there, awaiting her turn to have her side seams taken in a bit. It hadn't happened yet, so that is where I went to grab her for yesterday's jaunt. Yes, sewing project feature largely on my winter project plan. Let's see if they actually happen this year!
It's the details on vintage that makes me swoon! Just look at that sheer collar and trim on the pockets, all rimmed in black seams. There are tiny bows at the arm cuffs and the pockets. You can't see the buttons well, but they are pressed in a pattern. And that print! It is just so cheerful it makes me squirm with happiness!
I would have sworn that it was handmade (and it certainly could be, lots of women made clothing at home for companies), but it has a stamp on the collar. I don't have any other clothing like this. A brand stamp? A name stamp to identify it at a cleaner's? I don't know, do you?
In the spring I wore the dress with my turquoise heels that I think look like Minnie Mouse shoes. For our outing yesterday I just wore little grey flats from Walmart. In the photos I also was wearing a turquoise headband and vintage millinery from a big box that I got at an auction in high school. So many lovelies in that box! I may have to show it sometime...
And lastly I will show you my beautiful, amazing, perfect grandson, Vincent. He is such a fine little man, and kept his great-grandma good company during the shopping trip. 
Here she got to try him on a bit of mashed taters from our lunch.
You would think he was being tortured- he he! So, a lovley outing with people I adore, and a last fling with this dress for this year. And a smile to leave you with...




Comments

  1. The dress is beautiful. I do love seeing your dresses!

    But the baby....goodness there can never be too many baby pictures. Leah used to send me pics of Logan tasting his first taste of each new food around that age....so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and isn't he the sweetest?! He's adorable when he looks at you seriously, but when he grins my heart just melts!

      Delete
  2. Precious baby and a sweet dress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was the lucky one! I got to go along for the ride and play with Vincent while you two shopped. Oh, that picture of him tasting mashed potatoes...I cracked up! He certainly does not like the texture of real food at all. It was a lovely day to be out with three of my favorite people. Love you, moma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad he was so good, since we kinda fell down the rabbit hole in Hobby Lobby and never realized the time! His expressions to food make me die laughing! Love you so

      Delete
  4. Those colors are perfect for you! And those shoes! I love them.
    Also, what an absolutely adorable little chunk-a-munk. (I hope that doesn't offend you. I think babies are supposed to be chunky - they loose it when they start walking. Skinny babies worry me.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear! I have a real aversion to orange, but somehow it is so soft and springy in this that I didn't mind. And he IS a chunk! I love it; chubby babies are my favorite. You should see his profile. His cheeks look like a chipmunk's stuffed with seeds :). My middle son was so squishy that when he sat on his bottom, he was rolls from his neck to his toes, like a little elephant. People called his Buddha Baby- he he!
      (p.s. I'm almost impossible to offend. I always assume that people mean things in the best possible way, instead of the worst) Hope you are having a lovely day!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hey, sugar, I'd love to hear from you! If, for some odd reason, this won't let you comment, please send me a message at mssamwearsdresses@gmail.com. Thanks a ton!

Popular Posts