Love in the Afternoon- Firefly Romance!

 Yesterday afternoon I was in the garden weeding. It was overcast and temperate, but still broad daylight. Yet when I got to this (sea holly) I found it covered with lightening bugs. And they weren’t just congregating, they were umm...conjugating! This was a veritable Lightening Bug Love Hotel (oh, it makes me giggle just to write that!;) It made me want to magnanimously spread my arms and bellow, "Go forth and multiply!" One can never have too many fireflies about...
Have you ever seen such? And when they lay their eggs in the soft little and mulch in dampness beneath plants, the young will hatch into GLOWworms. Want to know more about these amazing blinky-butt bugs? About their power of cold light, and the world of cannibalism? Sounds like a soap opera, right? Heheh! Well, go HERE to read my post Firefly Dreams. It's sure to en-lighten you- snort! I'm sorry, Dear Reader,  I work up this way. My hubby is already tired of my punny humor, so I'm expending it on you. Do you have lighting bugs where you live?

Comments

  1. We had the kids over the Friday before Father's Day late in the evening so Logan could see his first fireflies.

    Oh my goodness it was so much fun!....at least it was for Logan & me...everyone else acted like cream puffs & stayed in the AC. But Logan & I ran from one end of the yard to the other...circling the house while he exclaimed as loudly as he could...'Oh Gwammy! There's more!...Let's catch them!' He was beyond excited & so of course, was I. He ran so fast, running right by them every single time there was no way he could catch them. But we had the best time.

    Every single night that I'm able to stay up past sunset (I do get up at 4:30 many days a week) I go to the back screened porch just watch, listen & soak up the night. I have always loved the night time sounds no matter the season. There is something about a country night that makes my heart soar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The image of you and Logan outside racing after fireflies just warms my heart! Phooey on the ones who stayed inside, what a beautiful time they missed! I just love hearing about you and your grandbaby- you are the best gwammy! And country nights are the best, no matter the season :)

      Delete
  2. Yes - we have lighting bugs or fireflies as we sometimes call them. I get excited every year when I see my first firefly! I don't know much about them other than they are one of my favorite things about summer. A few years ago we had so many one night that it was absolutely breathtaking. I stood out under our old oaks and they surrounded me in light. I've never seen them like that since. Now I'm going to head over and read your post Firefly Dreams to en-lighten myself!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I should have read your Firefly Dreams post before I commented on here the first time. What you saw and what I saw sound the same! Only you have such a way with words - I love your description! I wish everyone could experience that many fireflies at one time. Truly amazing! And I think you might be right - God definitely had his hand in it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so amazing!! I love that you had the same experience! They say that there are some places that it happens consistently, others it is based on conditions. But I do hope I have a chance to see something like that again- just magical! Isn't it wonder that we have it in our memories to look back on and marvel? :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hey, sugar, I'd love to hear from you! If, for some odd reason, this won't let you comment, please send me a message at mssamwearsdresses@gmail.com. Thanks a ton!

Popular Posts