Blackberry Sorbet - 3 ingredient no-churn or ice cream machine recipe


When you look at this photo and then the ones below, you will see striking differences. The top picture is sorbet made with the last of my wild blackberries. Wild berries are smaller and have a different flavor; they also make a redder juice. (Below I used store-bought berries and a no-churn recipe.) The top photo was sorbet that I churned in my Oster 1.5 qt. Ice Cream Machine I bought at Wal-mart years ago.

This little thing is one of my joys! It makes just enough that it all gets eaten up, so I can make several different flavors. And it takes NO ICE AND NO SALT! You read that right! The whole canister gets frozen (I keep mine in the freezer all the time, so it's ready at a moment's notice ;) and you simply pour in your mixture and turn it on. 30 minutes later you have your frozen dessert, ready to harden off in the freezer and then enjoy! And no, nobody is paying me to say all this (please, somebody pay me to say nice things- he he!!). I've had an antique hand-churn that the boys had to sit on to keep it still, and I've had a fancy White Mountain electric ice cream machine. But I hate the ice and salt mess! This little machine is absolutely perfect, and it's pretty cute too :)
Now to the no-churn sorbet! This batch was much darker and more purple than the other. I didn't even realize there was a such a difference till I saw the photos together! This was made with the big, domesticated blackberries you can buy frozen in bags. It would be interesting to make both wild and cultivated berry sorbet at the same time so I could check out the flavor nuances between the two. A goal for another day. The other difference is that I didn't churn this one, I just froze it. I mentioned making this back in the post Blackberries- 4 ways in 2 days . It was so smooth and silky, no ice crystals at all! I honestly couldn't believe it hadn't been through an ice cream machine. But it's true, and the steps are below. Here is the super simple recipe for the sorbet. To churn or not to churn, it makes no difference...not so subtle Shakespeare reference that made me chuckle. It's a good thing I amuse myself...

Blackberry Sorbet
4 cups blackberries (thawed if frozen)
2 cups white granulated sugar
2 cups buttermilk
Blend all together and strain out seeds.
Chill several hours and then churn in an ice cream machine (mine is 1.5 qt. capacity) according to it's instructions. Or follow the steps below for a no-churn sorbet that is silky smooth!
 Put 4 cups blackberries, wild or store-bought, into a blender or food processor. Just make sure that they are thawed if they were frozen. Top this with 2 cups granulated sugar and 2 cups buttermilk. I wondered if the buttermilk would give it that funky sour taste. But no, just like using it in biscuits or to soak chicken, it is the perfect taste for this recipe. Now blend well to mix.
 Pour through a medium-fine strainer to get out the seeds. Be sure to use a spatula to scoop all the delicious pulp off the outside of the strainer. I strained mine into a 9 inch round cake pan that fit easily into my freezer.
 Freeze the mixture for an hour and then stir, mixing all the areas well so that there aren't any spots that freeze hard and crusty. Do this the next hour, and the next. So stir 3 times in 3 hours. Then let chill about another 3. Or, as soon as it can be scooped you can eat it!
It was like sweet purple-black tar as I stirred it, and the taste is absolutely amazing! Below you can see how well it scooped.
Below is the ice cream machine version again. I have no idea which I would say was best, they both make me swoon with delight! With only three ingredients it is seriously the most BERRY tasting blackberry sorbet you will ever have. I'm certain this would work well with any really ripe fruit. Would you try the blackberry? Or do you have a favorite fruit you'd love to try as a sorbet?
I have to tell you this. When I made the sorbet, I did three varieties of frozen dessert. I made this, my coffee chocolate chunk ice cream, and my 3B's ice cream, which is brown sugar with bacon brittle. They are all my very favs! But my Pop tasted this sorbet and said, "Oh, Sammy, that is just something special." When my daddy says that, it is the highest of food compliments. So, there you go, Dear Reader, the best review that I could offer! 
 This is just something special :)


Comments

  1. I have just found your blog and have enjoyed going back and reading all of your older stories. I hope you continue to write and inspire us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, sugar! I have become very erratic in posting as life has seemed to speed ahead. But you have encouraged me to continue sharing! I appreciate your kind words and for you taking the time to visit :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hey, sugar, I'd love to hear from you! If, for some odd reason, this won't let you comment, please send me a message at mssamwearsdresses@gmail.com. Thanks a ton!

Popular Posts