French Parlor Update #5- Victorian stool done and Antique fan framed!

It has been a long while since a parlor update! And that's 'cause it's been a long time since there was anything to update ;). I have three things to show you today, whoohoo! For some reason that makes me feel pretty great, because they are all beautiful, happy things. This is just a fluff post full of eye candy- he he...
One thing finished is the foot stool! I told you that this little frame had been in Pop's shop for decades (literally) and he had always said I could have it. When I dragged out things to work on for the parlor, it came home with me- see below in it's unrestored condition.
I didn't have to strip this guy, just sand, stain, and varnish. I knew exactly what kind of fabric I wanted, but had never seen in it person. And I might add that during all this time Hobby Lobby and the fabric store were closed due to Corona. However, I had the brainy idea to type what I wanted into a computer search. I actually just typed in "pink rose and stripe fabric." Tons of things came up. Some were fairly close, but this one from Etsy was exactly what was floating about in my tiny brain! What are the chances?? I got one yard, and have enough left for a small pillow :)
I bought a foam pillow insert at Wal-mart on a grocery shopping trip and it just happened to be the exact size. Moma and Pop came over and Pop stretched the fabric down and held it tightly so that I could staple gun it to the wood frame all the way around. Of course it originally had tacks holding the fabric on. How they managed to hold fabric taunt and then pound in tacks (which surely takes both hands, one to hold the tack, the other a hammer), I'll never know! But we managed with group effort and I think it turned out well.
I told you that Moma called the night they announced they were closing Hobby Lobby, and I raced over with only an hour before closing to buy upholstery fabric and trim. Luckily, I had already scoped out the fabrics and decided what I wanted! But I found this great trim and somehow it was a miraculous perfect match for my online fabric purchase! Also, the cording covered up any foibles and made it all look semi-professional.
The stool is just the right height for propping up the feet, and is so soft and plush that it is lovely to sit on as well. So exciting! (It's the little things, Dear Reader ;). And I just love it's dainty little self to bits.
Next is the antique fan that my Grandma Tommy gifted me more than 20 years ago. I rarely ever even opened it, because it was so fragile and lovely. But then I realized I had a frame it would fit in perfectly, and my dear Pop handmade me a shadowbox back to hold it! Isn't he amazing? Honestly, folks, he can do anything.
I found just the right fabric to line the box- not too bright or overwhelming for the fan, and a nice shade with the wall...and then I tried to put it together and broke the glass!! This was right when the virus was really hitting and so I just hung the frame on the wall, empty, and put the fan away. Months later, when things seemed to be getting a bit better (unlike now!), I ordered a piece of museum glass cut for the frame. It has UV and some other protectant, so that normal light, plus sun from the window won't damage it. That makes me feel much better!
Above is a close-up so that you can see the little painter coloring the flowers, while other chubby cherub/fairies dance about.It's very hard to get a good picture of it with all the folds; it's something that really need to be seen in person. Above, it was on a fabric I did not like. It overpowered the delicate colors. So now my fan is up on the wall! And below is thing number three, though it is not done. It's my Eastlake settee! Look back up through the pictures to see it in it's original state...
Pop showed me how to strip the old finish. I did not even know that it had beautiful inlay veneer on the back until the old finish came off! So I did the body in walnut stain, and the inlay in golden oak so that it would stand out. The big rectangle thing to the right of it is a giant bit of foam I bought 6-7 years ago when the Hancock Fabric went out of business. It has just been waiting for its moment!
Pop is going to help me do the upholstery. But instead of doing a normal seat which is tacked down, I am going to do a French mattress type cushion. Then, hopefully, I can take the cover off of to wash. There are tons of tutorials on Pinterest, so we'll see how I do.
There are still a lot of things needing done- the settee upholstered, one armchair stripped, and then both chairs stained and varnished. Then upholstered. (look to the upper photo of all the furniture to see the chairs.)  Then the room will be done! I had been very anxious to get it all done, so that I could have company over to sit in the parlor. But things being the way they are, I sit in it by myself nearly every day. The light is just beautiful in that room, and everything about it makes me happy. I sit and rock and just enjoy it, finished or not. Everything in good time. Hopefully my next update will show progress on the settee!

What about you, Dear Reader, have their been any household renovations or rearranging that you have been doing this year?



Comments

  1. I adore the footstool. What a fabulous job you did on it.

    Now aren't you a little glad that glass broke? You wouldn't have bothered with museum glass otherwise. I can't wait to see that fan in person.

    I love the inlay on the settee. It will all be so beautiful when it's finished.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! The little stool sat all sad in the dust for years. Now I tell her how sweet she is every time I see her ;)! And you are right. I wouldn't have replaced the glass and then I would have been paranoid that the fan was getting damaged! I like the settee also. It turned out a wee bit darker than I intended, but it is very period appropriate. And I know now to lighten the stain some for my chairs. But I think it will look lovely once upholstered. Maybe by the time it all comes together we can be sitting in it having tea and sweets :)!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. After renovation that furniture is looking so awesome. Thanks for sharing stunning photos.
    Traditional dress of goa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this blog. I just found it by chance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, sweetie, and welcome! I'm delighted you found me and took the time to say hello. Hope you have a lovely day!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hey, sugar, I'd love to hear from you! If, for some odd reason, this won't let you comment, please send me a message at mssamwearsdresses@gmail.com. Thanks a ton!

Popular Posts