Wardian Case- easy and fun DIY (plus, meet my snail, Buckeye! ;)



Y'all know that I get a little gardening obsessed. And perhaps a tad cranky during these final months of winter. I was so elated to work  in the garden the whole week of Christmas! Then the cold and rains that followed caused a mighty bout of pouting. So I decided to get off my patootey, and make something I had been thinking of for years- a Wardian Case! Okay, it may be a glorified terrarium, but the old British name sounds so much more regal. Like I might need to put on my daygown and bonnet to tend to it, heh heh...
In reality, it was as simple as digging out the old aquarium we've had for over 20 years. It lives on a shelf in the well house when it's off-duty. This old thing has held successions of fish, then frogs, toads, and land snails. Whenever anyone got a hankering for a critters we just dug it back out. You can find ones this size at Goodwill and thrifts if you keep you eyes open. But you could also do it in a big round fish bowl. They have those at Goodwill all the time for $3-5. Anything clear that allows you to see your goodies, and that you can place a plate or sheet of glass over to maintain the humidity.
I had it easy, because I live on a creek. I just went out back and dug up some creek gravel for the drainage in the bottom, then patted on about an inch or two layer of dirt. A stroll around the back yielded some different kinds of moss and a teeny fern clinging to the edge. (Please note- I am well versed on rare or endangered plants in my areas. And I have been taught the rules on how to harvest. If you go into the country to find your mosses and plants, please ask someone for help with identification so that you don't inadvertently ruin a delicate ecosystem.)
After planting all that, I tucked in some fun rocks that I had gathered from my Pop's land in Oklahoma. Then I went back out to the well house and dug around for the box of trinkets that the boys and I used to use when we made fairy houses. Yes, all my boys are grown and married. But I just don't get rid of things, and you (like my hubby!) see that it pays to save! I found the little set of tools, and a wee wheelbarrow that if I had remembered it would have been in the house already. The wooden arbor if one that my youngest son, Will, made so that he could grow a vine over it as a treat for his toads, Egor and Satchel. I think it is adorable!
When I had everything tucked in the way I liked, it had taken me only half and hour to make. Talk about instant gratification! So then I went and dug up my land snail, Buckeye. The little stinker had been hibernating nearly all winter and I had been a bit cross with her. But I was just sure she would rejoice in her newly expanded kingdom.

I was right. The very next morning I found her hanging from the arbor, getting a "snail's eye view" of her surroundings. When I went to look for her again later (harder than it sounds, snails like to burrow, and they are also easily camouflaged) she was curled in the rock with a hole in it, just like a puppy in a dog bed. Oh my, how my snail-mommy heart swelled with love!
When she woke from her nap she gnawed her carrot stump and made a new hole under the wheelbarrow. It seems she really appreciates the aesthetics of her new home- ha!
And it is fun to see the progression of the case day-by-day. Grass has come up strong and lush, unseen seeds have produces rank sprouts, and the fern is putting on new growth. It isn't quite like getting outside and digging in the dirt, but it is the next best thing! (Can you spot Buckeye in the photo below? She's a tricky little thing ;)
Now I am considering putting my mini orchids in some of our old fish bowls, filling around them with moss, and capping them with vintage dinner plates. I think it will be the perfect humid climate for them. What do you think, Dear Reader? Are you a gardener? Are you anxious to get back into the soil, or do you cherish the winter as a season of rest? 


Comments

  1. I "played" outside in the dirt a good part of the day yesterday. It was beautiful and did my soul much good. It's supposed to snow by the weekend - oy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy for you! I rained pretty much all day yesterday, but I consoled myself that it is settling our ripped up yard, and all my seeds. But snow, oh my!! Every time it gets nasty again I just try to be thankful that we live in an area where it has warm days interspersed with the cold. We've just got to hang in there, sugar, spring is coming :)

      Delete
  2. Let me know how your orchid does! My mini orchid has two bloom stalks. I'm holding my breath that they actually bloom....my luck with them has been hit & miss.

    I've been eyeing the little patches of bluets in my front yard & need to dig up one & put it in a miniature teacup. I usually do that every spring & haven't gotten around to it. By the time the bluets finish I can replace them with a violet.

    And you have given me such a great idea! I was gifted a huge old glass garden cloche & was trying to decide what to put under it. This might be the perfect thing for a spring centerpiece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I adore bluets, and was just admiring a patch of them yesterday! They are so tiny you have to really get down there to enjoy them- but how inspired to bring them inside! Now I want a little teacup of them by my bed :). How wonderful that we can inspire each other, dear friend. Can't wait to see how you fill your cloche-

      Delete
  3. I learn so much from your wonderful blog. I've never heard of a Wardian Case. I have always called t hem terrariums but I like Wardian Case better! I brought home some seeds from Walmart this week so I can get some started at the end of the month. ''m looking forward to playing in the dirt. I've never started seeds indoors so wish me luck!

    And I never thought to dig up a little violet and bring it indoors in the spring. What a wonderful idea. I'm going to have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your sweet words, I am delighted that you find new ideas here! I wish you the very best luck in starting your seeds. I have great luck with the roots and bulbs I start indoors, but seeds are difficult. I have a habit of over or underwatering! I will tell you, I have had better luck so far this year than any other. And I dub it on the fact that I bought one of those plastic trays that has a clear plastic cover to keep in the humidity. It made seeds come up that I have never had luck with! And it kept the soil moist for weeks without me worrying. Isn't Ms Jenny's idea about digging up the yard flowers to bring in wonderful? Hope you have a beautiful spring!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hey, sugar, I'd love to hear from you! If, for some odd reason, this won't let you comment, please send me a message at mssamwearsdresses@gmail.com. Thanks a ton!

Popular Posts