The Night Season

 In all the things that are going on, it is easy for even the most level-headed of people to begin to feel the flutter of panic in their breast. Especially when you find out that the disease has finally reared it's ugly head in your own stomping ground. These feelings make me think back to those terrible times when my babies were sick. It seemed like the most awful sicknesses came on in the middle of the night. In the uncertainty of darkness, fear and internal conflict would rage. Am I doing the right thing for my child? Is there anyone I could call at this hour? Should I take them to the E.R, or should I wait till the doctor's office opens? And somehow what can be managed easily and with confidence in the day becomes a horrid burden under the cover of night, and we lose our way. I can remember praying so many times for the hours till sunrise to fly by so that I could call a doctor, praying so hard my throat would hurt even though I wasn't even speaking aloud. But sometimes night last more than just a few hours...

This song has been in my mind and on my lips all day long. It is an old one, and a favorite. And while it is beautiful, and true, the words "in the night season" is a phrase that has always arrested my attention. Not just through the night, but through the night season. Fearfulness, conflict of spirit, and anxiousness can be a season in our lives. But as the song says, He will give us a song (reason to be thankful), and He will lead us through it all. A shepherd does not leave the flock in storm, flood, or sickness, but tends to each member of the flock to comfort, care for, and shelter. I hope you know this song already. If not, maybe you will find comfort in the words. *And I really hope you will go all the way to the bottom to hear it sung by Reverend Joseph Callender in the 1920's. 


God Leads Us Along
by George A Young
In shady, green pastures, so rich and so sweet
God leads His dear children along
Where the water's cool flow bathes the weary one's feet
God leads His dear children along
Some through the waters, some through the flood
Some through the fire, but all through the blood
Some through great sorrow, but God gives a song
In the night season and all the day long
Sometimes on the mount where the sun shines so bright
God leads His dear children along
Sometimes in the valley, in darkest of night
God leads His dear children along
Though sorrows befall us and evils oppose
God leads His dear children along
Through grace we can conquer, defeat all our foes
God leads His dear children along
Away from the mire, and away from the clay
God leads His dear children along
Away up in glory, eternity's day
God leads His dear children along
**********************************************

Click the link below to hear a great recording of this song from the 20's with the original scratchy sound of the vinyl pressing...
 Reverend Joseph Callender 1920's rendition of God Leads Us Along







******************

Comments

  1. Thank you so much Sam

    If you just let Youtube play, it plays different versions of this song. Just beautiful....I love them all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed the song. He sang a bit different words than in our hymnal, but to the same effect. I just noticed that this post is messed up and hard to read, especially the link part... but I have no idea how to correct it. Glad that you were able to make it work :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hey, sugar, I'd love to hear from you! If, for some odd reason, this won't let you comment, please send me a message at mssamwearsdresses@gmail.com. Thanks a ton!

Popular Posts