Down our Road by Mary Mullen

I have been meaning to share this with you all since the beginning of January! I even had it tacked up on the photo board above my desk, to remind me. I guess better late than never, right? I know I have mentioned my great-granny many times through the years. She was one of my most favorite people, and I still miss her so very much. I found out after she had passed away that she was a member of the National League of American Pen Women. And many years later, an aunt sent me some clippings of newspaper column she had written. (They spell her name wrong- it's Mullen) This is the time periods when she lived here on the farm where I reside, and so I think she must have been writing for the Gentry paper. I was so delighted to read these, because it was like hearing her talk all over again! If you would like it, I might share the few that I have with you. I wish that I could find them all! This particular one was actually written in 1974, though my aunt wrote '73 and a question mark at the bottom. I know this, because it talks about the great  grandbaby being 1 year old. And that baby was me! I hope you enjoy it, and if so I'll share others with you. It's just a bit of happy rambling... now I think you can see where I get it ;)

Comments

  1. It's wonderful! Rather like a journal entry. That would be fun to find them all. I wonder if your local library would have them in the archives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to see if I can find them! We don't even have a local paper anymore, but I think I will pop in and talk to the lady who was librarian for so long. I bet she'd know something to help me. I think it would be neat to have them all put in a book as a family keepsake :)

      Delete
  2. Oh this is so precious. We all need to know that we were loved & welcomed into this world. What a beautiful picture she draws. I can just imagine you spreading joy through the holidays as a one yr old!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you, sweet friend! I'll have to show you a picture of me at that time- I looked like a basketball with hair! Dark, nearly black hair! But I do think she was a little bit partial ;)

      Delete
  3. How wonderful to have these writings of your great-granny. From reading this, I know I would have loved to sit and have a chat with her and tour her gardens! And it comes as no surprise that you were a happy child! I would say you take after your great-granny :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was just an amazing lady! She passed when I was 12, and even as a child I knew how special she was. And thank you for saying I take after her- that is the greatest compliment and just warms my heart :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hey, sugar, I'd love to hear from you! If, for some odd reason, this won't let you comment, please send me a message at mssamwearsdresses@gmail.com. Thanks a ton!

Popular Posts