Vintage Look- 1940's Turquoise Print Wrap Dress

I have had no time to do up a post for today's Vintage Look. In fact, the hubby and I worked till dark in the garden tonight, and then I made fixings for a picnic with my Pop for Saturday lunch. So you are getting a Flashback, folks! Right at a year ago I posted this- my first Vintage Look. I sent it into the world with trepidation as to how it would be received. I've come to enjoy sharing my vintage clothes with you, Dear Reader, and you have never been anything but kind! So, I apologize for my busyness this season, hopefully I will find time to write to you soon!

(post from August 13, 2018) Remember way back in January when I told you I was going to stop being self-conscious and embarrassed and I was going to start sharing some of my vintage dresses? And here it is, with half the year gone. I, Dear Reader, have been a big, fat fibber. But since my trip to Paris, something is different. My word for the year was Intrepid. After going to a foreign country, navigating, speaking another language- I realized that was the most courageous I had even been. I came home and immediately started saying no to some things that I dreaded. Me, the person who wants to please everyone, saying no. Imagine that. I am brave as a bear now. 

And after having my picture taken more on our trip than it has been taken in the last twenty years (you think I jest), I realized I'm never going to like pictures of me. But I can look at those photos and be delighted with them because of what I was doing and feeling, not how I look. Well, vintage clothes and accessories delight me also. And I want to share them with you. So here's me, being all intrepid, folks...
Nothing like a dog for moral support!
My 1940's dress has a turquoise and black print on white cotton,  and there is a  working side pocket, which is just the greatest. I'm a big fan of pockets. It also has the cutest fringe-y trim.
Don't you love that the tag says it's for "lounging"?

  The dress wraps around the back and ties in the front. It's a high scoop neck in front and a sweet wrapped v in the back. I wore my hair up in dairy-maid braids to show it off.
The pattern is super busy and doesn't lend itself to much accessorizing. I went to see my dear friend with triplets while wearing this dress, and the babies couldn't keep their eyes off of me- it was mesmerizing! (photo from Ms. Wendy, thank you!)
My shoes are kinda out there. They are not some that I would go out looking for, but I just happened to stumble over these at Goodwill. Leather, half-price, and hardly worn, how can you pass up such an elusive thing in Sasquatch  size?

 They are definitely the kind to wear out to eat and a movie, preferably with someone to carry you in between ;)! No joke, the soles are wooden and have hardly any bend to them. They are not the kind you want to be wearing when your kids spot a hiking trail beside the road. I always say yes to a good walk...
I hope you enjoyed seeing a vintage dress from the 40's still being loved and worn. And I'll just remind you what I'm certain your moma taught you as a child- "If you can't say something nice, it's best to say nothing at all!" Unkind remarks would cause salty tears. And, honey, nobody wants to see that...

Would you like to dress Vintage? Take a gander at my Etsy store, MsSamWearsDresses . I have all styles and sizes, with so-o-o many more things to list. 







Comments

  1. I love the dress! I thought it was adorable in the picture with Wendy's sweet babies so I'm happy to see the back as well....so cute & I love the tag.

    I'm proud of you for saying no. It's the most freeing thing ever & I think I've gotten pretty good at it myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The back of the dress is about the cutest part! And I love the "lounging" bit. It makes me feel I should only wear it when laying on a chaise lounge, sipping tea ;). And the saying no- Wow! It was like a weight was lifted; I'm so tickled not to fret over it anymore...

      Delete
  2. It is me...your moma....I am so proud of you! You go girl...you are brave (Paris), beautiful (always have been inside and out) and have such a good soul (it shines in your eyes). Oh my, the paper doll dress at the end...love (you know me and paper dolls).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear moma! What would I have done all these years without you lifting me up and telling me I could do things I never thought I could? When I picked out the little dress at the end I thought of how much you would like it! ;) Love you so!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the marvelous posting! I definitely enjoyed reading it, you are a great author.
    I will remember to bookmark your blog and will come back later in life.
    I want to encourage you continue your great job, have a nice holiday weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hey, sugar, I'd love to hear from you! If, for some odd reason, this won't let you comment, please send me a message at mssamwearsdresses@gmail.com. Thanks a ton!

Popular Posts