Vintage Look- a 1937 Chevy Sedan!!! (and a 40's Daydress to boot)


 It has taken me a while to post about my incredibly exciting surprise, but crazily enough, I have been so excited that I haven't even taken pictures! So here's the scoop, sugar. Last Tuesday my hubby came home acting a bit harried. He left again to pick up something on his trailer and arrived back just in time to come in to supper. After we ate, he casually asked if I would help him unload some stuff. I trotted outside completely unsuspecting...
 And that is when I saw this beauty strapped to the trailer!!! I just kept looking back and forth from it to the hubby, unable to comprehend.
 He wouldn't say anything but to climb up and sit in it. Then he reached across me and started the engine! I never even imagined it would have a motor, more-or-less be running. That is when the squealing and clapping began. Yes, folks, I nearly cried and wet my pants at the same time, but one can't do such things in this cool of a car, so I refrained ;)
So, what is the big deal about this car for me? Well, it is just a giant lead-sled of happy memories. My pop bought a 1937 Chevy sedan when I was just small, and he drove it daily for years. I thought it was the most glorious vehicle ever, and when he asked what kind of car I wanted when I grew up, I always said a '37. So when I was 16 he gave me the car, and we started fixing it up and rebuilding a new engine for it. I say "us". I loved every minute of the hours I spent in the shop with him, and got to be a great "step-and-go-fetch-it", able to guess what he was needing before he said it. 

Finally it was ready to drive, just in time for my Junior prom. I had it through my senior year, but I was as lead-footed and crazy a driver as my daddy before me. I was in a wreck the summer after I graduated and caught on fire...and my dream car was gone. 


I never, ever imagined I would ever get to have anything like that again. But my dear man bragged that not many women get to have their dream car returned to them in exchange for 25 years of marriage! Our anniversary is in June...💘
 And very anticlimactically, I happened to be wearing this 1940's zip-up housedress to go to work at the Wooden Spoon at the same time that he had the car pulled out to put something in the shop. He took the pictures- thank heavens they are much better of the car than they turned out of me- he he!
Can you believe the length of this dress? It is handmade and it almost hits my feet. So the lady who made it was exactly my size and height.
I'm not usually comfortable with this much puffiness in the sleeves, but with that gorgeous color and flowers, and that crazy long skirt-- how could I resist??
I'm certain you will be seeing many more pictures that feature my darlin' new/old car. I have these sugar plum visions of all the car shows I can enter her in, nights at the 112 Drive-in Theater, and cruising the Susie Q in Rogers for a shake. So much summer excitement to come!

Comments

  1. Greetings from Colorado! I'm bored to tears at work
    so I decided to browse your website on my iphone during lunch break.
    I love the info you present here and can't wait to take
    a look when I get home. I'm amazed at how quick your blog loaded on my phone ..
    I'm not even using WIFI, just 3G .. Anyways, excellent
    site!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for reading! Hope you come back to visit :)

      Delete
  2. What a surprise! I've never heard that story before. Congratulations on 25 yrs (almost) & a dream come true. I can't wait to see you driving down the road in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it's kind of a sad story when you get to the part about catching on fire! I'm still known in Springtown as "that girl whose old car burnt up" ;). It still doesn't seem real, it was one of the sweetest, most unexpected things ever!

      Delete
  3. Well, ain't that a daisy of a thang! Living your dreams at such a spectacular rate and I couldn't be more pleased and happy for you. What a delight! I wouldn't be able to contain myself if it were me. I feel the same about the Rolls Royce. Oh, my stars!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for being happy for me, sugar! Things haven't always been the rosiest, but God has been blessing me lately with things I never would have imagined coming true. This new/old husband is one of them! :)

      Delete
  4. First a trip and now a new/old car!!! You are a blessed woman! He's a keeper! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, sweet lady! It has not always been this way. I can honestly say that God has totally changed his heart in the last two years. Now at the 25 year mark I have a husband that I love more than I could ever imagine. God is good!

      Delete
  5. Thank you for reading! Hope you have a lovely day

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hey, sugar, I'd love to hear from you! If, for some odd reason, this won't let you comment, please send me a message at mssamwearsdresses@gmail.com. Thanks a ton!

Popular Posts