Vintage Look- 1950's Arthur Jay Suit





I found this 1950's Arthur Jay wool suit on eBay for a crazy $35!! Okay, it had a few issues. It has two almost unnoticeable spots at the bottom the skirt, which also needed one side seam sewn up, and then the fallen hem re-sewn. Simple fixes that made it in my price range. These item are often listed as "damaged, as-is, study garment, or wounded birds". I have also seen them labeled "wounded doves", which I adore. Poor, sweet vintage dove, languishing for the lack of a little bit of love that will revive her and make her wearable once more!
I was super excited about this, because I had a tan wool skirt on my wish list for two years. I find great vintage wool skirts at Goodwill often, but they are generally in a plaid pattern. I have two solid grey ones that I wear constantly, but I was sorely lacking a tan or beige. I was extra happy because just the vintage skirt usually sells for this price, but I got a gorgeous suit jacket with an amazing design to boot! The jacket is unique as the mother-of-pearl buttons and their buttonholes are merely decorative. The only working button is to fasten the tab at the waist to close the jacket. I have never seen one made like this before.

As I said, the skirt needed to have an entire side seam re-sewn, but the seller had carefully pinned it closed so that it would photograph properly. When I got it, I tried it on and was delighted with the fit. Hooray! Then I put it away, thinking I would fix it...soon.

On a Thursday, before I went to work at the Wooden Spoon, I took out the pins and sewed the skirt. I then hand-stitched the fallen hem. Much happiness! The next day I went to put my adorable suit on and it was...well, it was snug. You know those dresses you see on the Internet that are supposed to cup your heinie and make it look like a basketball stuck in a net? Yikes. That is not my idea of a good fit.

Somewhere between the end of summer and January the skirt had mysteriously shrunk. Okay, we all know that winter is a time of bear-like hibernation for me with tons of baking and equal amounts of eating. But I've decided that can't possibly be it. No. I have been splitting and stacking tons of wood this winter to try to make up for the lack with which we started the season. I'm pretty sure it must be rippling abdominal muscles that caused the tightness in the skirt. Yep, pretty sure it's rippling abdominal something ;)
So, fifteen minutes before I left for work I was seam-ripping like a mad woman, then scooting the seam over, ahem, just a tad. Ah, much better, and it doesn't look half bad. Here's the weird thing though. This skirt seems to have been sewn wrong. One side has a seam and kick pleat along with the kind of darts used to give some fullness- thus generally for the backside. 


However, if I wear it that way, the zipper is on my right hip and that causes the zipper seam to gape open. Women's skirt zippers are always on the left. But when I turn the skirt with the kick pleat to the front, the darts give pouf to the tummy where it is not needed, and the other side is tight across the rear. What a conundrum! So I just wore it with seam to the back and ignored the zipper as best I could. Do you have any thoughts on this?
I love having a tan skirt and can't wait to mix it with all kinds of other things. I even have a pack of cream tights sewn with tiny black polka-dots that I found for a dollar. Wouldn't that be cute with the black beaded sweater I found at Goodwill that I showed you here- vintage-look-1960s-blueblack-sheath? But still wondering about that zipper problem...
I wore the suit to the Spoon with some amazing leather oxfords that I found on eBay. I have such good luck buying used shoes from there! Much better than trying to find gargantuan sizes at a store. These said they were "gently used", but when I got them they still had the size sticker inside and nary a scuff on the soles to indicate they had ever been worn. $18 Ralph Lauren leather oxfords that are super comfy all day long! 
I would also like the suit with these shoes; I'm wearing them in the picture at the very top. These little things just thrill my heart with their eyelet cutouts. They are leather also and found at Goodwill. But I will NOT be wearing them to work or the grocery. They have the tiniest little kitten heels and they are made of wood. I have big feet and already clomp about like a Sasquatch. These shoes make the most crisp "click-clack" with every step. I sound like a nanny goat crossing the floor. If I could clog these would tap out the merriest tune. I wonder if I could gorilla glue little squares of rubber to the heels?
Anyhoo. I always forget to show accessories because I usually have just come home from work or the grocery store and think, "I'll just get some pics before I change into my grubbies." But I wore my wonderful celluloid pin that I found at Junk Ranch for a dollar. 


And this is the purse that I carry most during the winter and it looked great with this suit! It is a furry brocade that I fell in love with at Goodwill. Yes, the yellow velvet ribbon is original to the purse.


And there you have it , Dear Reader. A new suit with so many possibilities! If I can just keep my "muscle" building to a minimum so that I can still fit into it the next time...;)

 

Comments

  1. Your wardrobe is fabulous, I live vicariously thru you! I think you should try gorilla glue and rubber pieces on those shoes, they are too cute to not enjoy. I have big ol size 10's also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, sugar, you have no idea how happy it makes me to hear your kind words! Thank you- I enjoy my vintage clothing so much, and I'm delighted it can inspire someone else. I think I will try some sort of at home repair for my poor sweet shoes; they deserve another chance. You understand the trials of attempting to find cute shoes that don't cause permanent injury! Sometimes I have to get a size 11 because no one makes 10 1/2... Anyhoo- thanks so much for commenting, you really made my day :)

      Delete
  2. I am not a seamstress so I have no suggestions for the zipper but honestly, this suit is so beautiful I doubt anyone else would ever notice. I hope someone will comment with a solution though.

    Love the accessories. The flower pin is perfect.
    Another fun post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear friend! The skirt puzzles me. If it was handmade I would understand. I can imagine me making it with the zipper on the wrong side and deciding there was no way I was changing it after all that work! But this has a maker's tag in it. And thank you for complimenting my little pin. It is yellowed and a bit humble, but I love it!

      Delete
  3. OMG! I LOVE that outfit! It is so classy!

    I tried crocheting, but I had trouble because I tried to learn for months, but I could never master string tension. My loops were always too tight. I wonder if I should try sewing, but I here it is very expensive. Is it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, sugar! I too have tried to crochet and you made me laugh. My grandma was teaching me and I would get the tension so tight that eventually I couldn't even force the hook through! She crochets for enjoyment and told me it was something relaxing for me to do. It's the opposite for me, I get so tensed up trying that smoke comes out my ears- ha ha! Sewing is lovely. I am impatient and also not very knowledgeable and so it is hard for me, but I LOVE the results! Try to start with something small, like a sundress from a pattern that says it will only take a couple hours and a few yards of cloth. You can sometimes find cute fabric at Walmart for 2.50 a yard. And watch the Hobby Lobby weekly sales. Every so often they have their patterns for $1!!! (Some are normally $70) That's when I go a little crazy ;)

      Delete
  4. Ran across this post as I was researching an Arthur Jay jacket I just scored and idk if this is helpful, but I have several vintage skirts with the same pleat in the front. I can't see, but my regular seamstress confirmed they go in the front. Maybe that's the case for you, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, sugar, and thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment!That is so interesting to know that you have other front plate skirts, and your seamstress says that it’s common. I love finding out new things about vintage fashion!Please forgive the belatedness of my reply, but the last year and a half of been a bit overwhelming and I let my blog laps all this time. Now that the weather is getting cooler and I will be spending more time inside I am hoping to pick it back up again. But thank you for coming over to see me, and I hope you that you have a lovely day💗💗

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hey, sugar, I'd love to hear from you! If, for some odd reason, this won't let you comment, please send me a message at mssamwearsdresses@gmail.com. Thanks a ton!

Popular Posts