Vintage Look- 1960's Blue/Black Sheath and 50's Beaded Sweater

I found this handmade dress at Goodwill. It is a classic 1960's sheath dress, and the neckline is especially period perfect. 

It is made out of a nice heavy weight wool, great for cold weather, except for the teensy little fact that it's sleeveless. Grrr. That's something I hate about vintage jumpers, the fact that you have to wear something under them. I am used to slips, and I enjoy wearing them. But having to have a shirt that coordinates with something is a pain. It's why I wear dresses. You put it on and *boom* you're done ;).
 This dress fit me perfectly and was such a gorgeous blue, that I broke my own rule about buying something specifically for a single outfit. I went to Wal-mart and bought a $6 black long-sleeved tee.

The purse I am holding is one I have had forever. It's one that I got from my great-granny and can remember playing dress-up with.
The back is more ornate than the front. I love the button placket for shaping, the deep darts on the bodice that give body to the fabric, and the pleated slit in the skirt.

My shoes are some modern "granny boots" that I saw at Shoe Carnival one year while buying a son work shoes. They were on sale and I adored them, but I needed to get boy shoes, not moma shoes. That Christmas they were under the tree! My oldest son had gone back to get them and hide them away for me. Such a sweetie!
And you are going to have a heartattack and die, but I found this incredible, drool-worthy 1950's wool beaded sweater at Goodwill also. I've said it way too much this fall- I don't care for black. But this sweater!! And it is in pristine condition- no beading loss, no moth bites, just sheer dreaminess. You can imagine when I pulled the sweaters apart to expose this one, I gasped, then glanced around slit-eyed to make sure no one was going to leap on me and try to wrestle my treasure away. Then I clutched it firmly to my bosom until I reached the safety of the cash register. And I might have cackled madly as I exited, I don't quite remember that part...
 So, yet more toasty-warm wool pieces for the winter. And some bright color, and sparkly beads to help cut through the gloom that is to come. Do you have any fun winter outfits that help you get through the winter weather?

Comments

  1. Enjoyed examining this, very good stuff, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A little cream shawl that has hole cut outs to put my arms through. I found it at the goodwill for a few dollars I think and I absolutely love it. It never fails that I get at least 2 compliments on the shawl every time I go in public. I should do a post on my staple pieces too. What a great idea! I love you Sam I Am! Wink wink...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love shawls! I've never had one, and so Moma crocheted me a sweet one out of yarn I liked. I'd love to see you in your shawl! Isn't it funny how much people love seeing such old-fashioned and "out-of-style" types of clothing? I know you turn heads everywhere you go, sugar!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thoroughly enjoyed reading about the purchase of the sweater!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hey, sugar, I'd love to hear from you! If, for some odd reason, this won't let you comment, please send me a message at mssamwearsdresses@gmail.com. Thanks a ton!

Popular Posts