Valentine's Decor 2019

 I can't believe it is just a bit over two weeks till Valentine's Day! Are you excited?
 I always have to put my tree up for Valentine's. Anything with lights and sparkle helps me through the gloomy months. I showed you my tree last year.
But here are a few of my favorite ornaments. The "love boat" was a Hobby Lobby find one year after Christmas. It's blown glass and was 75% off. That's why I always say- look for things in different seasons that will go perfectly at another time. This goes for shopping for Valentine decor amongst all the reds of  Christmas sales,  or shopping for vintage coats in the middle of summer...
 Here is one of my favorite turn-of-the-century blown ornaments. Yes, it is also meant for Christmas, but the color and the lovely rose made it perfect for this holiday.
 This double sided ornament was crocheted by my Grandma Betty over 20 years ago.
Another 1900's glass ornament. These are so very thin and fragile, but how could I not put them out and enjoy them?
 I wrote last year HERE about how I gave my folks each a heart shaped container of Red Hots and Conversation Hearts for the holiday and then I fully expected to share in each ;)! My dear moma read me reminiscing about it and gave me one of the containers that she had kept all these years! She even filled it with a hand-picked assortment of only yellow and white conversation hearts- my favorite! Now that's true love...
 As usual Squeaky has on his cupid wings and clutches his Valentine for his "squirrel-friend" (he he). But after all these years of my never seeing this elusive heartthrob, I've begun to think that the poor critter is only imagining that perfect woman...
 Here is the sweet little Valentine that Pop gave me that had originally been gifted in 1922. In front is a very special candy jar. And inside it is my new obsession. Do you remember how I told you HERE about how I make all my Christmas cookies completely covered with Red Hots, just so I can eat them? Well, I found Chewy Red Hots this year. I was hugely skeptical, especially since I am not a big gummy fan. But, oh my heavens! These things are amazing!!!! Hot, chewy, and addictive. I literally ate half a bag in one day, just by walking past and getting a little pinch each time. Then I realized I was making excuse to pass by and decided I might have a problem. Since these are liable to go away after the holiday (I'm kinda praying they do), I got four more bags. One wouldn't want the candy jar to sit empty, now would we?
 Why is it a special candy dish? Well, besides the fact that it has the Red Hot version of crack in it, it happens to have belonged to my Great-grandma Jeanette. She was my Grandma Tommy's moma and so she put a label on the bottom so I wouldn't forget. Isn't that great? I have done the same thing with tons of other family pieces, so I won't forget and so it will be there for the kids to cherish.
 An old Valentine from when cars were just becoming a thing. I love all the multiple layers that open. Much like a stage in a really good play.
 In the window is my burlap banner, and my adorable heart apron. Can't wait to wear it for my party!
 Here is an old sign that was from the local VFW storage. And in front is a glorious cake cover from my friend Andrea- its color and style is just perfect.
 I even found a dress at Goodwill that, if I get it taken in and seamed up, will be my new Valentine's dress. We shall soon see, hmmm?
 And now I need to turn my thoughts to the Valentine cards I will make. I usually make 30 or so, and I always have some kind of theme. I have really been enjoying the illustrations from the fronts of Parisian magazines from the 1920's. I may incorporate some of them into my cards. I am so looking forward to our family party and exchanging cards. I am busy planning the foods (I already decided on the desserts several weeks ago :) and the table setting. So much to look forward to!

Do you celebrate Valentine's Day, Dear Reader? Do you make or exchange cards? I'd love to hear what you might do come February 14th!

Comments

  1. You little eager beaver... I’m over here all stopped up and sickly wickly so I will adore your home and thoughts of your party. Who ever do you invite your parties? Is it mostly family?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless your heart, I hate that you are feeling low again! I am always excited at the thought of upcoming parties! Yes, my family has grown so big that lots of times it is just family with a few friends that are basically family. I can fit 12 comfortably around the table and have ten just with family all there. I'm just glad my people like to eat! ;)

      Delete
  2. You always make the holidays so festive! I just love all of the vintage fun things! They all just make my soul smile!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, sugar! I love parties and think that while they add a lot of work, they add so much happiness as well! If we don't pick things to celebrate often it seems like time just flies and there is nothing to mark its passing. So I am very happy to make your soul smile! I wish that I could have all you dear ladies to my parties- I hope that you will imagine yourself invited and ready to sit at my table :)

      Delete
  3. I love your holiday tradition! Please share pictures of your Valentine cards!!! I'd love to see them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, sweet lady! I think of have pictures of several different years of Valentines that I have made. I will try to do a post about them. Thank you so much for being interested and giving me ideas of things you would like to see! Don't hesitate to tell me more of things you want me to share, and come back to visit with me :)

      Delete
  4. I do celebrate Valentine's Day. Usually a gift for my son & daughter-in-law & cooking my sweetheart's favorite meal for him. I always do something special for the boys in the Sunday school class I teach. They're 9-12 yrs old & some of them pretend it's no big deal but their mom's tell me how excited they are to get my letters in the mail.

    I have one vintage Valentine. It was given to my mother in the late 1920's from her Uncle William, my grandmother's brother. He must have really doted on her because I have lots of sweet things he gave to her. By the time I was born....I always thought he looked like Santa Claus. He has dark laughing eyes, rosy cheeks & he never said much but he did tease. He was a heart throb when he was young as well.

    Wishing you a Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Ms Jenny, I love that you do something special for the boys in church!! That makes my heart happy :). Boys are really just big mushy-bears who like to pretend that they don't care about such things as Valentines. When I do biology classes I have high school age students and I always give out Valentines. They love it and I am always surprised by those who haven't gotten any since they were tiny...

      I love your family stories! What a treasure to have. My moma has the Valentines that were given to my Grandpa RV as a child. There were seven children and not much was able to be saved or passed down, so it has always touched me that his moma took such care to keep them safe for him all those years. What a wonderful memory of your great uncle! It is so sweet to think of the relationships between family members that we only got to know when they were old. And this year you will share the holiday with a sweet little one- it will be so much fun!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hey, sugar, I'd love to hear from you! If, for some odd reason, this won't let you comment, please send me a message at mssamwearsdresses@gmail.com. Thanks a ton!

Popular Posts