A Perfect Present...


Do you know one of those people who always gives the perfect gift? The ones that you are so excited to open, because you know you'll adore it before you even break the tape? Well, my Moma is one of those people. She always finds the neatest stuff and she always knows what I would dearly love. Case in point, my present this Christmas. I still have it packed and sitting on my dresser because I like to sit on my bed and go through it and then tuck it all back inside so I can do it again! I will take everything out and give it a permanent home, but not just yet...
I'm going to let you have a sneak peek at my goodies. When you lift the lid the first thing is a stack of vintage cooking booklets. I love the old images, the recipes, the advertisements!
Next is a glorious puddle of silver plate. The one at the end is a sugar "shell" or scoop.


Moma and I share a crazy addiction to table-setting items. The small chocolate ladle has my initial on it. I adore the spoon because it has Ruth on it, gathering the gleanings of the field.


 She is a symbol of the Order of the Eastern Star, an appendant group of the Masons. Each of the points of the star represents a different heroine of the Bible. Ruth has always been a favorite of mine, and I have had many family and friends who were Evening Stars.
The large spoon is gorgeous in it's own right, but look at the back. Pierre! It is unusual to see a spoon monogrammed on the back like this. And I love that it is the name I gave the baby duckling that I found in a Parisian fleamarket!
Under the silver is a mass of bubble wrap, protecting hand-painted porcelain name card holders that were made in Germany at the turn of the century. There is even a ribbon-tied stack of name cards that were hand-painted by the original owner of the floral stands! 
Vintage cookbooks, silver plate tableware, name card holders...all things for creating a memorable meal. Every single piece is something that I love independently, and they are all things that I will actually use, perhaps collectively for a special occasion. I am thinking that my Valentine's theme may have to be in shades of pink instead of red this year, so that I can use my name tag holders as soon as possible ;)
And this was not in the box, but in my stocking. An antique hair pin holder! Isn't it sweet? I shed hairpins like a cat does hair. It went into service the moment I brought it home. 


Sweet little trinkets selected with great care and love. And that is the greatest present of all... Thank you, Dear Mummy!

Comments

  1. What sweet treasures. I know you'll agree, you have the dearest mother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you liked your box of "goodies". You are my true treasure...I love you, moma

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hey, sugar, I'd love to hear from you! If, for some odd reason, this won't let you comment, please send me a message at mssamwearsdresses@gmail.com. Thanks a ton!

Popular Posts