Pumpkin Cornmeal Pancakes

These pumpkin pancakes are moist and delicious, and filled with seasonal spices. The addition of cornmeal gives a lovely bit of texture that makes these really special.  So special that at the first feeling of fall in the air, the boys and I would eat these pancakes and then go out and gather leaves for Autumn King day. It's a holiday that we made up- I really should do a post on all our special celebrations some day! When the boys got older, we had a family of homeschool friends over for weekly science and art classes. When it was fall it was tradition that they all came early and had a pumpkin pancake breakfast. Such good memories! (recipe at bottom)
I am an unashamed pancake lover. As a stay-home/homeschool mom of three boys, I cooked three meals a day for 20 years. My hubby is the only cold cereal eater among us, so for the boys I made every variation of pancake, waffle, french toast, bread pudding, and hot oatmeal/grain there was. I think breakfast is amazing. Lunch I could do without. Now that there is only one boy in the house, and he goes to work early, I rarely get to make any of my beloved pancakes. The children of my dear homeschool friend, Ms Sherri, are also married, in college, or otherwise disposed. So I decided she and I would have our own Autumn Pancake Party!
Knowing that she would be over early in the morning, and that these pancakes take time and patience to cook, I assembled the ingredients the night before. Dry ingredients in one bowl, wet in another and then refrigerated.
 The next morning all I had to do was heat the skillet and combine the two bowls to make a beautiful orange-y pumpkin batter. I cook my bacon in the oven to save on time and spatters. I lay the slices on a rimmed cookie sheet (to catch the grease) and then place it into a cold oven and turn the oven on 400 degrees. I rotate the pan after 10 minutes, and begin to check the slices for doneness after about 7 more minutes. I have our butcher cut our bacon nice and thick, so store-bought thin slices will take much less time.
 When you pour the batter into the pan, you may need to use the edge of the cup to spread the thick batter into a circle. Then use the last bit in the cup to pour upwards into a stem shape. This takes all of one second and is non-negotiable when making pumpkin pancakes. Just do it. (The syrup is staying warm in it's little pitcher on the back of the stove.)
 These pancakes are very fluffy and delicate and you don't want to over-brown them. Check that they are golden on the bottom and then loosen around all edges before attempting to flip.
As I said, they are deliciously delicate, and some of the wet batter will ooze out as you flip the first time and stick to the turner. If you leave this build-up there, it will catch on the pancake and perhaps rip it when you go to remove it from the pan. I keep a butter knife out to scrape my turner as I go along.
When you have a cake ready, pop it into a 200 degree oven, and keep stacking. This amount of heat will keep the pancakes nice and warm until it is time to take them to the table.
While the pancakes are cooking you can cut your butter into slices and then half them crossways to make triangles. These are perfect for eyes and noses on your pumpkin cake. Even "big people" get a kick out of it.
The cakes are so tender and moist and pumpkin-y. Perfect with a small pitcher of heated maple syrup or honey. See the little pitcher off to the right? It's on its own saucer to catch sticky drips.
These are the perfect pancakes to celebrate fall, family, and friendship. I hope you try them, and maybe they will become a tradition for you also!

Pumpkin Cornmeal Pancakes
In a large bowl mix:
1 and 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup cornmeal (fine ground for this recipe. If you only have coarse grind, mix with the liquids and let rest for 10 minutes to begin to soften)
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
4 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup brown sugar, packed and mounded

Add to the dry ingredients:
2 cups buttermilk (if you don't have any, add 1 Tbsp of white vinegar to each cup of milk)
1 cup of pumpkin puree, canned or fresh
1 Tbsp veg oil
2 eggs 

Mix wet and dry together till completely combined. Heat skillet at temperature just below medium. Using a measuring cup or ladle, pour approx 1/3 cup of batter into pan, spreading if necessary. Cook until golden brown and bubbles begin to rise, then carefully flip and continue cooking. Place pancakes in a preheated 200 degree oven to keep warm, unless you have hungry breakfasters who will eat them as fast as they come from the pan ;). Serve with butter and maple syrup or honey. ENJOY!

 



Comments

Popular Posts