French Parlor Update #4- A CHANDELIER and other excitement

I have always wanted a big, shiny, chandelier, just dripping with crystal prisms. Does every lady have that desire at least once? Even if it's not practical, wouldn't match your house, and you wouldn't love it forever- have you ever drooled a bit over one? I know I have, but they are also very expensive. And so I have been content with the metal chandeliers in my dining room. Many armed, and airy, but no prisms or shininess. But when I began on the project of turning my son's old room into a parlor, it seemed more and more that the ugly ceiling fan caught my eye. Especially once the mirror was up and it seem like the fan was the only thing that really showed up!
Enter my dear moma. You all surely know by now that my moma is the best thing since sliced bread. Her sheer willpower and patience in not strangling me as a (ornery, willful) child is enough to commend her for sainthood. But besides that, she just has the biggest heart. You see, my moma had always wanted a shiny chandelier also. And so when she saw a beautiful vintage one at an auction that was going for only $35, she jumped on it. But then, where to put it? She wanted to put it in her parlor. But they have an exquisite lamp in there that was Grandma Tommy's. Plus, my pop said that all the well-over-6-foot menfolk would beat their heads off of it. He suggested the dining room. But no, moma loved the hanging lamp in there and didn't want to change it. So the only other place was her bedroom. And for some reason I could not convince her that laying in bed gazing up at it would be the most awesome thing ever. She felt it would be wasted there. And so, Dear Reader, she gave it to me. Yes, the chandelier that she had always dreamed of having! She said it was better for to me enjoy it when I was young instead of waiting till her age to have one. That right there is selfless generosity of the kindest sort. And so now you really know my moma!
My middle son, who lives on the farm, lost his job in a restaurant two weeks ago and has been doing odd jobs for folks. (This week he got a job with the Post Office- God is so good!) And so I told him I had things I needed doing, but he had to take payment. That boy! I thought he might be able to finish one of the things on my list that day. But no, he got all three of the biggest ones done, and beautifully, I might add. The first to show is the chandelier, installed but unlit.
It's so huge!! Seriously, I usually have a very good eye for how things will look, but I was staggered. And it is so low that the center hanging prism (which weighs about two pounds!) is at my nose level. I am not blessed with the 10+ ceilings that some may have. Mine are eight, and come complete with spit wads that will not even be chiseled off. Remember, this was the playroom, then schoolroom. Poor chandelier, it probably can't believe how low it has sunk to be in my house- he he! But it will just have to get used to it...


And once I got it all cleaned up, it was so shiny!

Get used to it, folks, 'cause it is big and bright enough to sneak itself into pretty much every picture. Not as if I mind! Doesn't it look so much nicer as a reflection than the ceiling fan?
Below is another things that Seth did for me. He put up the roller blinds. I HATE to have my windows covered. I don't do curtains, and I only have blinds for when the sun threatens to scar my retinas and burn the very color off the walls. But shades are also expensive, and I am a shoestring kinda gal. So I found these roller blinds at Wal-mart. I love the low profile of roller blinds, and I despise the dusty, rattle-y-ness (it's a word, I just wrote it...) of louvered blinds. These were less than 5 bucks and you simply cut them to fit the window! I got them months ago, and didn't have the brainpower or courage to do it myself. Seth had them all up in about twenty minutes. Like I say, what a boy! (It might have taken the rest of my life just to convince the hubby to think about installing them. Let's just say he is not in the parlor fanclub ;) But while we are gazing, look at the crabapple tree about to burst into pink heaven outside the window *rapturous sigh*
Oops, there that chandelier again, just as I was trying to show you that Seth also put up closet doors for me, heh-heh! The doors aren't painted yet, but they will soon be the color of the walls so that hopefully they will just fade into the background. But you know what is the coolest part? Inside the closet. I am going to have to do a whole post on that, because it makes me wriggle like an excited puppy just thinking about it. (peeing on the carpet optional) It was the site of the big air condition leak that started this whole project, beginning with the ripping out of the carpet. It was dirty, stained, and awful. But just wait till you see it now, Dear Reader...
Until I do the post, and break the terrible sense of suspense that you are currently in, I have a quandary. I have garden variety closet doors. But instead of using the wooden knobs that came with them, I wanted to add something a little more special and well, French inspired! My pop refinished antique furniture for my grandma and grandpa for years, and has an amazing collection of very old drawers pulls made of pressed copper. I dug through them and found two styles I love. These are supposed to sit horizontally on dresser drawers with a pull through the holes. But I am thinking I will put a glass knob through the top hole and fill the bottom. What do you think? And which is your favorite? I love them both so equally well, that I can't decide...
And the last change is that I have finally finished putting up pictures on the far wall. I was waiting until I had new glass cut for the fan frame, but I don't have much patience. So, I simply hung the empty frame where I wanted it to be so that I could get my bearings, and went full steam ahead. My poor bedroom was robbed of more things, so I have more holes to fill in there. But I love how it looks so far. 
I know I originally said that this room had a floral theme. I wasn't going to put any pictures of people in it. I have a real attachment to romantic pictures of ladies, and so most of my rooms have them. I tried several different pictures on this wall, but none felt just right until I brought in Lila. She was a favorite of mine, clear back from when the boys and I used to spend the night at my Grandma's house. I named her Lila, and Grandma put my name on her so that she would be sure to come to me. I've had her over my dresser for years. But now that I've looked at her there for so long, I don't really see her. Then I put her in the parlor at eye-level, and I am suddenly in love with the glamorous little dame all over again.
It is really coming together, Dear Reader! I have finally bought the upholstery fabric for my settee and chairs. When they are finally finished and in place, the parlor will be complete! Are you about ready to come and have tea with me, sugar? Because I am so ready to invite you in!

Comments

  1. I am so ready! I saw the chandelier on Instagram but seriously....it is just gorgeous here. I love how it reflects in the mirror. And your view is so beautiful.

    I'm so happy for your boy. What a great job. I'm really glad he didn't have to go without work for long.

    I agree with you on the blinds. Roller blinds are the best. I can't leave some of my windows uncovered but the ones I can leave empty I do.

    I'm torn on the drawer pulls. I love the gold finish on the left. But I like the shape of the one on the right best....& it might match the finish of your chandelier more. I can't wait to see which you choose. Do you have any little crystals you could use to cover the extra holes? That would add some more pretty sparkle.

    Excuse my rambling...I am really enjoying seeing your room come together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should know I love rambling ;)! Thank you, and before the chandelier was ever up I was captivated by my garden view out the window. It stills stuns me that I have never really gotten to enjoy that room for it's own value. I know the boys sure didn't care about the view- ha ha!

      And I am also so thankful that he has secured a job. He is such a hard worker that I didn't doubt it, but with so many losing their positions I wasn't sure what type he would get. This job will provide so much needed security.

      You and I are the same- we both need light and to see the nature outside! I had originally thought to do pretty pale sheers down the sides, but I think that the clean simple lines of the windows are what I prefer. We will have to see about the drawer pulls. I have to paint the closet doors first, and I am a bit tired of painting. Plus Belle wants me to help her with some painting before the baby comes. I think I'll spend my energy there first :). Big hugs, dear friend!!

      Delete
  2. It has found its true home! Love you dearly, moma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh it's looking delightful! Isn't it amazing how much something like a light fixture can change the feel of a room? Can hardly wait to see the set. And what can I bring? I'll be there :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dearie! It IS amazing how much difference it makes. Being southern I am used to ceiling fans in every room, because we need them to cut the heat. My hubby told me I would rue taking that one down come summer. I told him I'd rather sweat in there and it be gorgeous, he he! The chandelier can take my mind off the heat ;). And I think it would be fun to plan an imaginary tea! Everyone could say what treat they would "bring" and what book they would discuss. Oooh, what do you think??

      Delete
  4. I am having the most trouble commenting on blogs. Trying this again.

    Your parlor looks lovely, Ms Sam! I love your roller blinds and your chandelier is exquisite. I think I like the drawer pull on the left the best...the more gold colored one. I just love the dainty flower motif in the middle. Whatever you decide will work wonderfully, I am sure. Have a splendid Easter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry, sugar! Is it just mine? Even if it was, I have no idea how to fix something like that...:(

      Thank you for your kind words! The roller blinds haven't really come into play yet, but this room faces west and so when summer if here they will be awesome! I really love the pull with the flowers the best too. But the other one has swirls like the chandelier. It makes no never-mind right now- I have to paint the doors before I can put them on, and my painting desire level has dropped to an all-time low! I keep piddling at other things instead ;). I had a lovely Easter, and hope yours was full of joy and love!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hey, sugar, I'd love to hear from you! If, for some odd reason, this won't let you comment, please send me a message at mssamwearsdresses@gmail.com. Thanks a ton!

Popular Posts