Easter decorations 2020


When I began thinking on Easter two months ago, I had the tenderest of hopes that we would all be celebrating together in church, and that things would already be swinging back into what was once normality. But it is most certainly not the case. Arkansas is predicted to hit the peak of the virus between April 25th and May 1st. Which means that the time that comes after will be significantly worse. But that is not something I can let myself think of too much. It is very like being a child and knowing there is something scary behind a curtain. You need to look, because you must brace yourself for what may be there. But then you have to let the curtain of uncertainty drop again and walk away, having faith in the one who loves and protects us, and remembering that even if it is not "normal" life, we are privileged to live it. So, Dear Reader, the decorations went up, even though I am the only one looking at them. That's okay, because just unpacking them made me smile with all the memories they invoked.
Easter is the first holiday that I began to decorate for on my own. I would have been 12 or younger. My very first collection was of antique Easter postcards. At 10 cents a piece they were affordable, beautiful, and easy to keep. From there I went to collecting Easter related items and putting them out in my bedroom. So you might say the desire to decorate and celebrate hit me very young.
My one new/old thing this year is a gorgeous piece of handwork that I picked up at an auction in Siloam Springs, AR. Moma and I both got boxes of linens this lady had painstakingly crafted, and none of them even looked used! This runner was crocheted with lines of little chicks, and I knew it would go straight into my Easter tote. Can you even imagine making this?? It boggles my tiny mind.
Vintage eggs are a favorite. All but one of these are made of paper mache, and come in two pieces so that they can be filled with candy or gifts. The small one to the left with the chicken on it is painted metal, and also opens.
The red hen was in my Easter basket as a child, and when you pressed her down, her wings raised, and she laid a gumball eggs. The large velvet egg is very old, and is almost a foot long. It has a wind up music box in the top and can open to hold a very large gift, or tons of chocolates! The smaller tan egg is made of leather and opens to hold a ring. Isn't that fun? Perhaps it was for an Easter engagement!
This velour coated bunny is vintage and reminds me of a bank I got one year that was very similar.  He is pushing a tiny wheelbarrow made of a blown eggshell on a chenille frame, and guided by a mother-of-pearl button wheel. Behind is a little straw basket I got for Easter one year and used as a little purse.
This beautiful Victorian era perfume bottle was a gift from my Pop long ago. It was perfect for both my perfume and Easter collection. Do you see the little eggs and leaves that make up the feet?
All of the above items were from my Grandma Tommy at various times. When she found out that I collected Easter things, she gave me the ivory carved chick in an egg that has a hole to be worn like a necklace. Later she gave me the milkglass sugar shaker that has a leaping hare on one side and a hen with chicks on the other. The little vase is German, and has a boy peaking around an egg at an angry looking bunny.
She also gave me this milkglass Easter egg. These were common gifts at the turn of the century. The little celluloid toy beside it is a favorite. It came from a dear man at church named Dewey Taylor. It was his as a child. I just love the mean expression on the rabbit's face. Have you ever seen any of the very first Bugs Bunny cartoons? He has the exact same cranky expression!
The egg set was also from my grandma. She and I shared a deep love of milkglass.
And in front of Grandpa Bill's clock is a reminder of the true meaning of the holiday. Where would we be if Jesus, the lamb of God, had not loved us so much that he would die for us? We would be without any hope, for today or the future. Instead, he has given us the promise that no matter what happens here on earth, "... lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age."(Matthew 28:20). And if we give our hearts to him as our Lord and Savior, the Apostle Paul wrote "... I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord." (Romans 8:38-39) This may be a frightening and trying time, but we have the hope of the Lord Jesus to get us through. And that makes this coming Easter very, very special indeed.

Comments

  1. I decorated for Easter too! Especially during these scary times, we need to remember he died on the cross for our sins because he loved us so and he is risen...he is risen indeed. Love you loads, moma

    ReplyDelete
  2. So what song does the music box egg play?

    I don't have many Easter decorations but I do set out my little lambs for Easter. They aren't anything special really. Just little toy lambs I've collected. Some of them I think are from Christmas nativities. I have not even set anything out yet though! I need to narrow my focus & make it a special Easter week with my grandson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure of the song. It is so old that it doesn't work when you just wind it, you have to force the key along to make it play. But it is something I have heard before! Your little lambs and some of your pots of little wildflowers would make a sweet table centerpiece! And I know you will make it very special for him :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hey, sugar, I'd love to hear from you! If, for some odd reason, this won't let you comment, please send me a message at mssamwearsdresses@gmail.com. Thanks a ton!

Popular Posts