Vintage Look- Great Granny's 1960's dress set

This is not a favorite outfit, but it is very special non-the-less. This dress and jacket were worn by my great-granny. They are from the late 60's, and very much the style I remember her wearing when I was small, usually with an enormous brooch of some sort.
Here is a dog-o-rama, and as I am bent down you can clearly see the headpiece that my hubby calls the "Princess Leia Buns". If you have ever seen Star Wars you know what I mean. It is a rather odd little thing, but I still like it. It is a wired headband with two round knots on each side, studded with pearls. But I do have to admit, they look a lot like mismatched buns!
Here it is with the jacket. The sleeves of the jacket are trimmed with little bows.
While the dress has a bow at the neckline that is accented with rhinestones.
I am wearing some cute little leather cut-out shoes that I found at Goodwill. Anytime I find behemoth-sized shoes there, it is a tiny miracle.
And here's a close-up, along with some of Great Aunt Jessie's gloves.
But there is the really neat story behind this outfit. My pop's family never got rid of anything. You name it, it is still in the family. In fact, my step-great-grandmother had an attic filled with amazing treasures, along with boxes of every single plastic pill bottle they ever got medicine in, each carefully wrapped in newspaper. Yeah. My hubby came home after helping to clear the attic and, with very wide and shell shocked eyes, made me promise to never become a hoarder of that magnitude. I promised, but I may have had my fingers crossed. Which brings me to MY attic. Sugar, there are things up there that I don't even know about. Case in point, my Grandma Tommy would often give me boxes of old things that she did not know what to do with, but couldn't bear to just toss. When the boys were tiny I didn't always even have the time to open the things and dig through. I would simply tuck away for another day. And lest you mistake, she did not give junk. Grandma has been passed for years, and just last year I found this tote. I gave myself a hernia getting it down the stairs, and when I opened it I was so flabbergasted that I had to call moma to come over. Inside there was everything from Victorian blouses, to 30's aprons, a 1940's headwrap, Granny's 60's outifit, all the way to 80's legwarmers. And gorgeous slips in every color known. Moma and I just dug things out and stared.
Every little bit of clothing that Grandma didn't know what to do with had found its way into the tote. How exciting is that?! And I have worn, or plan to wear so much of it. See the little 50's belt of tan, green, and white sticking up? It goes perfectly with one of my dresses. That little black scrap with yellow edges I am pointing to? That's an adorable egg apron that is now in my cupboard. It was like Christmas come years and years late instead of early.
So, this little outfit is a tad funky for me. Not crazy about the pattern or the polyester. But it is still so wonderful to me. Worn by one of my favorite people, and saved by another. Dear Reader, how can you get much better than that?




Comments

  1. I love this outfit. I really like the dress....I'm not very fond of jackets so I like the dress better without it.

    What fun treasures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is an interesting pattern, and I agree, with the jacket it gets very busy looking ;). It really was like opening a treasure chest. Moma and I had lots of fun digging and wondering at it all!

      Delete
  2. I like the outfit! It is a little busy but the colors are beautiful. Oh, the joy of opening a box of treasures like that. I can only imagine. I would be in heaven! Unfortunately I am a lone sheep in my family. I love anything old and especially family heirloms but very few of my family members tend to keep things outside of my dad. He has lots of family things that he still enjoys and I love to talk with him about them. I have a few things and boy do I treasure what I have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Ms Rhonda! I'm sorry that your family doesn't see the value in the older things! I know so many people who lament the things they wish had been passed down to them. But then I go to Goodwill and see where someone obviously took all their deceased relatives things to give away. It makes me sad. How wonderful that you share that love with your dad! And it is so special that he can tell you the stories about them. I hope that you get to inherit them, to cherish and then pass down as your own "box of treasures"!

      Delete
  3. Holy mackerel what a treasure trove! (And you look darling!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He he, thank you, dear girl! And yes, it was amazing! I will be showcasing one of the gorgeous 1920's slips I found in the hoard in a "Building a Vintage Wardrobe" video. It is made to go under an unfitted flapper dresses. So fun!

      Delete
  4. Nice outfit! I like it. I love vintage style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's fun to get to wear something that was hers!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hey, sugar, I'd love to hear from you! If, for some odd reason, this won't let you comment, please send me a message at mssamwearsdresses@gmail.com. Thanks a ton!

Popular Posts