Vintage Look- 1940's Aqua and Rose dotted swiss dress

I have said before, in videos on building a vintage wardrobe, that when you begin buying vintage you should look for a style you love and that suits your body shape for your beginning pieces. For me, that was cotton shirt dresses. This style of dress is an iconic one that can be found in different incarnations through the decades. I have shared several of my mine with you before (I'll share some links at the bottom). These were the starters to my wardrobe and I am still in love with them!
 Woola dog has had her moment in the spotlight and decided that the cool dirt under the step is a better choice.
 Here I am coyly showing you the shoes I was wearing, which...amusingly enough, can't even be seen. Sigh. All I did was draw attention to the incredible pastiness of my bony shanks (yes, darling, they can be seen from space), and all the bruises and scars. This has been a hard summer on the legs!
 Vintage cotton sundresses are so lovely. They are generally out of a super thin cotton, or a sheer nylon type cloth, and need a full slip under them. I have a gorgeous selection of colored vintage slips, so an aqua one went under this. These dresses are light and cool and manage to simply look like summer time.
 Here is a closeup, because I not only love the colors of this dress, you know I love plaid and gingham check. But check this out, it's also dotted Swiss!! Be still my heart! But there is still more, look at those great decorative buttons! Four of my favorite things in one little, handmade dress. And the fact that the left side of the skirt has a slightly twisted seam doesn't bother me at all. Obviously, the seamstress was a bit like me, and said, "Oh, dear, I don't have quite enough of that beautiful fabric to make the dress I want! Who cares, I'll just cut it differently and do it anyway." Thus the slight puckering, and me grinning every time I see it.
This blurry picture is one that I took from an auction site for vintage clothing. It is a 1930's dress that has the same coloration and checks of my 1940's one! I'd love to have it also ;)

Here are the shoes I was valiantly trying to show you before. They are frumpy, but very comfortable ones that I found at Wal-mart. And they are actually very similar to many of the "house" style shoes of the 40's and 50's. Look at the bow topped slip-ons, below. You can find a lot of these different styles of shoes at Wal-mart, and be wearing comfy shoes that don't break the bank for the right look!


I got a second pair to wear at home so that I could have shoes to go with my farm dresses that I could wear all day. Ordinarily, I simply wear my feet. They are the ultimate in walking comfort!
And here is a result of playing with the settings on my computer! I was trying for a vintage photo look, but this is what happened. I love those folk's photography who get the dreamy, slightly grainy, look of vintage photos. I've thought of trying to do that for my blog, but honestly, I post the pictures of my dresses so you can see what they actually look like. And I don't think it would be terribly appetizing for my recipe photos! However, if you know how to do the vintage look, I would be interested to learn about it. I don't have any photo editing software, but I love to try new things. 

Well, I hope you enjoyed this sweet little dress as much as I do, Dear Reader. And it just goes to show- if you pick things you truly love, you don't tire of them!

Here are some links to other shirt dresses-
Seafoam shirtdress 
Lavender shirtdress 
Kitschy Housedress 

Comments

  1. Ah, a shirtwaist! Love them from all eras!... but, sadly, its not my most flattering look. Yours is simply dreamy, and i agree with wearing what you love. Ive started applying this in many areas of my life and its so refreshing! And freeing!!! I do adore dotted swiss anything, and have 2 nightgowns that i bought at walmart just last yr. I will have to keep my eyes peeled for cute comfy shoes. I wish i could go barefooted and not bother with shoes atall, but it kills my soles. So the search is always on. Love the jambus you recommended.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, sugar, and I am so delighted that you have begun wearing things you adore! Dotted Swiss nighties at Walmart?? You lucky girl! And so glad that the Jambus suit you. I know they are great for my feet, hope they keep yours feeling wonderful :)

      Delete
  2. You, my child, are adorable...enough said. Love you, moma

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love your website.. Excellent colors & theme.
    Did you develop this website yourself? Please reply back as I'm hoping to create my own personal site and would
    love to know where you got this from or what the theme is named.
    Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It is just one of many that are available on Blogger, and then you can customize it to fit your style. Hope this helps!

      Delete
  4. Are the shoes a recent find? I'll have the browse the shoe aisle this week when I buy groceries. And I agree with your moma....you are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you :). I found the shoes at the beginning of summer. They may be transitioning to cooler weather shoes right now, but they may have them in styles that work with vintage. Good luck!

      Delete
  5. You look just as cute as a button in your shirtwaist dresses Ms. Sam.
    That is not the best style for me as I confess that I prefer my dresses to be a little bit on the loose side. I do not like my clothes to be at all tight or even really fitted on me. I have a bunch of dresses that I wear that are all soft cotton and loose and comfortable with nice big pockets that easily hold hen's eggs or clothes pins. My mama called them porch dresses. I live in them all summer long.
    Looking forward to your next video.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Ms Melanie! I love that she called them porch dresses :). I usually call them farm dresses, just to differentiate between town clothes and work clothes. I grew up with "play clothes" and "good clothes". The difference being that the latter is decent to wear in public- ha ha! I would love to see your dresses, they sound absolutely perfect! And big pockets are a joy. I have a pattern for a looser fitted, long-sleeved dress that I am hoping to make as a winter wearing at home, perhaps in chambray or linen. We'll see if that happens ;)

      And I have done two new videos!!! One on making pie crust, and the third in my Vintage Wardrobe series. Now I just have to coax my oldest son into doing the real work of editing and putting them on Youtube for me. Thank you so much for encouraging me, sweet lady!

      Delete
  6. love your blog I came across. You look great in the vintage dresses..cheers to those who are young and still have a wasteline.. :0) ... Your past recipe looks great, too..Thanks for sharing/ :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, sugar, and I am so sorry for the late reply to you kind comment! My internet has been on the fritz for over a week and makes the blog impossible! But I am delighted that you have happened upon my blog, and I hope that you will return. The pasta is delicious, let me know if you decide to try it! Hope to visit with you again soon :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hey, sugar, I'd love to hear from you! If, for some odd reason, this won't let you comment, please send me a message at mssamwearsdresses@gmail.com. Thanks a ton!

Popular Posts