Why Halloween?

 
My first costume at one year old. I was a little hobo!

I've had a lot of people over the years ask why, as a Christian, I celebrate Halloween. Or there are those who don't ask, but cast an eye at me askance. Well, I wouldn't say I "celebrate" it. Yes, I decorate the house up like the set of the Adam's Family, and I have never gone a year without dressing up in costume. But what I really do is remember Halloween.

People are in such a hurry to forget uncomfortable things these days. They think if they say that the Nazi Holocaust was a hoax and never happened, that it will somehow make it like all those people never really died. They think if they tear down a statue of a Confederate soldier that it will somehow make the war that killed the most Americans in our history, go away. But any gardener knows that to bury something is often to keep it alive. And sometimes that long forgotten seed comes up and is not what you expected at all. Try to cover and forget a physical wound and it is bound to fever and fester. To turn a blind eye is not always the best answer.

But don't I know all the pagan things attached to the holiday? Yes, I do. Almost all of my ancestors, on at least four sides of my family, came from Ireland, Scotland and Wales. The very Celtic areas where Samhain was celebrated far back into antiquity. It was my people who set bonfires on hills in hopes of encouraging the sun to return to it's full power. It was my ancestors who would cook a supper and leave it on the table for any dead loved ones who might return. And when they became worried that those spirits might be unhappy ones, they took to leaving the food at home and walking the countryside in costume, so the dead could not recognize them. This is also when the jack-o-lantern came into play. Only they were originally turnips carved out to hold a candle to light the night-time walk, and eventually carved with a scary likeness to frighten away anything that might approach. Those were my people who lived a day and a night in fear and superstition. I made sure all my kids knew the history of the holiday, so they too could understand what the people went through.

Why would I want to forget that? I can look back on it all and understand their fears and wonderings completely. Even in the modern day there is so much unknown and unexplainable. And as a Christian I can imagine how it would have been to be able to tell these people that they didn't have to fear. That the dead lay quietly, and there was hope beyond the grave. That God had fixed the sun in its rotation and in his great wisdom planned out the seasons. And most importantly, that they did not have to cling to ritual any longer because Jesus had died to save them.

Of course, for centuries there was no one to tell these people of God's plan. And much of that time was before even the birth of Jesus. So when I envision the pagan fires and rituals I don't feel revulsion and horror, I feel sadness and a desire that they could have known what I am fortunate enough to know.

I was grocery shopping in Aldi one day and was befriended by an elderly man. I try to smile at everyone I see, and so I frequently find myself the recipient of instant kinship. This little man was delighted to toddle along beside me, regaling me with his life, until he saw me pick up a large sack of Halloween candy. His face immediately soured, his good opinion of me gone. He said, "I see you celebrate Satan's birthday."

I am a very non-confrontational person and I was shocked by his words. Normally I would have stammered some sort of apology and stumbled on red-faced. But something about his words fired my spirit and I found the rare ability to answer back. I told him that the candy was actually for my church's Halloween Carnival. And that I had read the Bible and knew how it ended. Jesus is Savior and the Conqueror of both Satan and death. So, I told him, in my book the devil doesn't get to have a day.

All he could say was, "Well...", and look shamefaced as I swept on with my shopping, fueled with righteous indignation. Right or wrong, that is how I feel.

So again this year I will decorate; I will dress up; I will have a party with my family and friends. It's going to be fun and I will enjoy all of it. And all the while I'm going to be grateful. Grateful that I got to be born in a time where I know the Truth and can be free of the superstition and fear of my ancestors.

Comments

  1. A lovely post....

    I too do not fear Halloween/Samhain. Many of my ancestors came from Ireland and Scotland, and I like to remember "The Old Ways." It is always a sadness to me, knowing that so many, in Pretty Blog Land, do not easily accept this view. And I have to be "careful" what I put up, about this holiday.

    I don't like this, but am practical enough to know, that I could lose Readers.... Might...

    You make my heart sing, by this post. If only there were more, like you.

    Gentle hugs
    🔥 🔥 🔥 🔥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear! I know that some of my posts that talk about my Christianity could cause people to decide to not look at any further things I write, but we have to be true to ourselves and not change to keep people reading. If we don't tell who we really are, then we are just writing about a fictional life. I figure there are enough folks who do that already ;). Thanks for reading!

      Delete
    2. Its not about fearing Halloween, we do not fear any man or the devil. We have the Lord who gives us all the strength and armor we will ever need. It is about following the word and the word says pagan traditions are worthless and he hates them. Why in your heart would you justify this holiday knowing it's pagan, God says do not rely in your own intelligence. I see many people try to justify there own reasoning's beyond God's reasoning, why celebrate a holiday when you have the choice not to especially knowing the truth about it living in a world where most of everything is wrong, indulging only promotes it. No where in the bible does it ever say to celebrate this holiday and has nothing to do with anything God loves. Just cause you dress up and get candy and think its okay doesn't mean it is that is just you twisting your own perception on it to make it okay. It's still Halloween, it's still on the same day, nothing has changed and there still is rituals occurring on the the day around the world and your still participating there is no difference besides you choosing to be apart of it. Jesus says do not be apart of this world we are not of it we are of his people. He did not create this holiday, he did not tell you to celebrate it, he said the complete opposite. We are to do God's will not our own don't get caught in a misconception, a lie because we are living towards the end and by spreading this message your saying it's okay cause you think it's okay verses what God says is okay. We are to spread the truth, help others find real answers not lead others unto a path possibly damaging to there spirit, we are to be gone with these things and allow the Holy Spirit to engulf us and guide to him not allow the world to guide us in ideologies and traditions.

      Colossians 2:8 ESV
      See to it that no one takes you captive by philosophy and empty deceit, according to human tradition, according to the elemental spirits of the world, and not according to Christ.
      2 Timothy 4:2-4 ESV
      Preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, and exhort, with complete patience and teaching. For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths.

      Matthew 15:3 ESV
      He answered them, “And why do you break the commandment of God for the sake of your tradition?

      Deuteronomy 12:29-32 ESV
      “When the Lord your God cuts off before you the nations whom you go in to dispossess, and you dispossess them and dwell in their land, take care that you be not ensnared to follow them, after they have been destroyed before you, and that you do not inquire about their gods, saying, ‘How did these nations serve their gods?—that I also may do the same.’ You shall not worship the Lord your God in that way, for every abominable thing that the Lord hates they have done for their gods, for they even burn their sons and their daughters in the fire to their gods. “Everything that I command you, you shall be careful to do. You shall not add to it or take from it.

      Delete
    3. Thank you for your comment! You have given me things to think on, and I appreciate you taking the time to discuss this with me.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hey, sugar, I'd love to hear from you! If, for some odd reason, this won't let you comment, please send me a message at mssamwearsdresses@gmail.com. Thanks a ton!

Popular Posts