Halloween Costume/Dinner Party 2017



I had my costume/dinner party, and what fun it is to have like-minded family and friends who will dress up with you! The stage was set for a spooky time, the atmosphere that of a feast laid out in Count Dracula's castle. 

There were cake stands topped with fruits and breads, being enjoyed by every manner of pest


The places were laid, each with a marker specially made for the guest to take home as a reminder.


One of my sons texted me during the day to ask if there was anything he could get me before he came over. I told him no, things were going well, but I was very sick to my stomach and had the shakes. He sent back a note of sweetest concern, asking if I needed medicine. I replied that I had already taken my "medicine"; I had finished off the meringue in the bowl for breakfast and then had the caramel stuck to the popcorn pan for lunch. He was not so sympathetic after that...

 Dinner Menu:
Wolf Ribs (organic, free-range)
Silver dome of  Wolf Ribs
Bone Bread (ground only from the finest Englishmen)
I made four loaves in the hopes of having some leftovers
Ghoul Guts (pasta salad)

Moldy Mashed Taters (Basil infused with Parm cheese, mmmm)


That's all well and good, but I'm only in a meal for the dessert. I told the guests not to fill up, there was too much good stuff to eat later...

Dessert Menu:
Putrid Pumpkin (pumpkin cheesecake with pecan praline topping)

Deadly Mushrooms (hazelnut shortbread cookies dipped in chocolate)

Brittle Bones (vanilla bean meringues)

Candied Cattle Feed (Popcorn balls)

The guests were amazingly attired. Here is just a sampling:
My moma and pop, such great sports! They were Old Mother Hubbard and her poor Dog. Look at my dad's teeth!
My oldest son and his wife, as a monk and a steampunk Mad Hatter.
My middle son and his wife as a Plague Doctor and Maleficent. 

I woke that morning with the intent to be Joan of Arc. There are so many fun things to "be" that I always have the agony of choosing between three or four. I'd wanted to be Joan for years and hubby was going to be the French king she fought for. But when I woke up and put on the costume I was grumpy. Not martyr-ish, saint-ish, even particularly heroic. And since the lack of enthusiasm would have been a slight to one of my dear heroines, I decided for a quick costume change. No problem. The attic holds so many options that it positively groans. People call me throughout the year and ask- "Do you have a blue wig?" Yes. "Do you have a medieval gown?" Yes. "Do you have a Roman Gladiator tunic and armor?" Yes. "Do you have Popeye's outfit complete with muscles?" Yes, and this is the absolute truth, Dear Reader. Just try me :)

Ever since the boys and I saw the animated movie, Madagascar, I have wanted a large bushy tail. Why? Is that even a question? Since the plans for making a furry lemur costume were on the 10-year plan, when I saw a pack at Wal-mart with a big, bushy fox tail and ears I couldn't resist. I thought I was going to be Joan, but it could certainly come in handy. And it did. But how to make it into my new costume while cooking for 14 people?? The word "cooking" set off a bell and I grinned. I'd just put it on with a normal dress and apron and I'd be a domesticated fox of the kitchen variety. Oh, how I snickered at that! (It's a really good thing I amuse myself...) And so hubby morphed from king to something much more in line with his winter occupation- a hunter. So, here's our picture. I am a "Domesticated" Fox in its natural habitat, the kitchen (snicker...), and he is the Hunter making certain I stay in my territory!

My youngest son was a rat. No, not for a costume. He debated so long that he finally just wore all black and carried a gun in a hip holster. When asked what he was, he stated, "Gunman." Then he didn't want his picture taken. Bah, humbug! My friends/family that came were also amazingly outfitted, but I didn't want to throw their secret identities out into the world without permission.

A delightful night that ended like the day began, with me having way too much sugar and being very, very happy. And that's the end of my tail...
 Happy Halloween!

Comments

Popular Posts