Lucky Buckeyes

I was out in the field chopping thistle. Remember last year, when I chopped them for a quarter a plant and made enough money to buy pallets of mulch for the garden. Yep. At it again. This has been one of the oddest year's in my memory for mankind over the world. But nature has continued on her eternal path, and it seems that she is ever more resplendent this summer than ever. Is it because we have been forced to slow down and take notice? This year the field is a heaven of clover and buttercups. 


The air was redolent with the warm honey smell of the clover, and the air of a steady drowsy hum of insects- honey bees, bumblers, sweat bees, pollinating wasps. It made me nostalgic for my own dear hives of bees that I lost. They would find such joy in this meadow! And then I saw it...a Buckeye butterfly. I know folks have a love affair with Monarchs. And I am extremely partial to the black and blue Spicebush butterflies that lay their eggs on the spice bushes that are native to this areas creek banks. I've raised many from a chrysalis and watched them dry, winging straightening and rising like sails in a ship's rigging, before letting them flutter away outside. But somehow Buckeyes capture my heart. They are much more rare for me to see, and I love their gorgeous eye marks. And they make me think of the other buckeyes of my childhood, the seeds of a tree that supposed to bring luck to the bearer. 

Did you ever have a buckeye? I still have ones tucked in all the pockets of my winter coats. Many is the time that I have washed one, only to find the little brown nodule of a buckeye in the bottom of the dryer. The ones I have been given, or happened upon, are large and of varying shapes. Never a perfect orb, they are flattened, or twisted, and they look and feel like a peice of polished walnut in the hand. But recently, after my Pop purchased land in Oklahoma, I found out that native buckeyes are much different. They grow in pods with multiple seeds that are about the size of a marble and perfectly round. So I am guessing the big ones of my youth are from some type of domesticated tree. I would love to have one of the trees that grows the large pocket-buckeyes of my youth. How lovely to have an entire tree of "luck", and be able to give them out on a whim?


These humble seeds never fail to remind me of a beloved story about my youngest son, Will. When my boys were growing up, we homeschooled, and history was a passion for us. We had carefully curated costumes that we would wear and go to Civil War reenactments, Mountain Man Rendezvous, Pioneer Days, etc. At one of these gatherings we were  looking at the sutler's stalls (folks who bring stuff to sell), and there was a lady selling rag dolls and toys. She also had a basket filled with buckeyes that were marked free for children. Will was very small then and very shy. The lady asked if he would like one and he said yes. Smiling, she asked if he knew what buckeyes were for. He replied, "They yucky." Her expression went sad and she shook her head, "No, they aren't yucky, they are clean." Now my son's face showed consternation. "They's yucky," he declared. While they faced each other with furrowed brows I hastened to clarify. I told her that Will couldn't pronounce "L" properly yet, but he knew they were lucky. My kids said their thanks and we hastened way, Will clutching his buckeye and still eyeing the woman who could not seem to understand even the simplest statement. We still laugh about it, and call them "yucky".(I need to find some of our old pics in costume. They make me so happy!)

Isn't it funny how the smallest thing, like a beautiful butterfly, can spark a myriad of fond thoughts and memories? I came inside just before heat-stroke set in, dripping wet with sweat, and with tiny pinpricks of blood everywhere the thistles had touched me. But I was light of heart, and felt that the morning was well spent. To labor in a beautiful field, surrounded by nature and happy thoughts, is no work at all.  
 Do you have a buckeye to keep in your pocket?

Comments

  1. I did not know they were lucky! I know I have one around here somewhere though...I need to put it in my pocket. I think the whole world needs a buckeye in it's pocket right now.

    Did you know that our family did a reenactment? We participated in the an orphan train reenactment...I think Joel was around 7. We were an Oklahoma farm couple in the 1930s who'd traveled all the way to Rogers, AR to adopt a NY city orphan. It's one of my favorite family memories.

    We caught the old steam locomotive at the Springdale depot & road it into Rogers. They lined all the children up & told about each one & when our favorite was presented we jumped up to take him home.

    Some of the children reenactors were descendants of orphan train children & we got to meet two or three actual orphans all grown up & elderly. One lady was so taken with Joel...she wanted to meet him & she told him he looked so much like her brother looked when they were separated through adoption.

    The funny thing about this story is that it started a rumor at work...one of Charlie's coworkers overheard him talking about it & thought that we really did adopt Joel. Quite a few people asked him about adoption after that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that so much! What an amazing experience, especially to get to talk to some of the actual people who had been adopted out. We got to ride that train once when the boys were small and it was such fun! And I guess if it got people to asking about adoption then it was a good misunderstanding :)

      Delete
  2. Love this post...the picture of the butterfly is beautiful. It is true, even if we are working hard...if our mind can wander to good things and our eyes enjoy the things around us...it doesn't seem so hard after all. I have been enjoying the sound of the birds singing their praises early in the morning while puttering around doing housework or pulling weeds among the flowers. We are blessed! Love you so much, moma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does make things a joy, doesn't it? And we are so blessed! I love you, dear mummy

      Delete
  3. The only buckeyes I've had are chocolate covered peanutbutter balls - which aren't too bad either:-) I had never heard of them being lucky (or yucky;0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, we are quite the pair then! You have never heard of a lucky buckeye, and while I had heard of the sweets kind, I have never eaten one. They don't sound yucky though, excuse the pun :)

      Delete
  4. Oh I love your story about the "yucky" buckeye! I too love buckeyes. I have an old wooden bowl of them sitting on my hutch in the dining room. Every year my kids and I visit a buckeye tree at Belva Deer, a county park a few miles down the road from my house. It's a race to see if we can beat the other campers before they are all gone. Last year my dad's neighbor found out I loved to gather buckeyes and gave me permission to get them from his land but unfortunately last year was not a good year for buckeyes and I only found one or two. It's always fun to open up the pods and see how many buckeyes are nestled inside. No matter how hard we try we can never get them to fit back inside the pod! They are usually lighter brown when we find them and then they darken as they age. One should always carry a buckeye in their pocket for luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, how truly luck y you are! That is such a fun tradition ( and I did have a good snicker at the name of the park :). I hope this year the neighbor's tree will have a good crop! Do you find the big ones, or the small ones? And yes, I think it is so nice to have one in a pocket. They are like worry stones, they just feel good to hold and rub!

      Delete
    2. Belva Deer was named by the man who had owned the land before the county bought it and turned it into a county park. His wife was named Belva and he would call her Belva Dear! I guess they changed dear to deer for some reason. Maybe because there are lots of deer out there? I guess I find the big buckeyes. They are much larger than a marble and are not round but different shapes. I've never seen the small ones. All the trees I know grow out in the timber though so I wouldn't say they were domesticated. The neighbor's timber has never been used or cleared for anything outside of cattle that run there sometimes. I used to love to wander in there when I was little and would head to the creek as it was so wild in there and no people for miles!

      Delete
    3. It sounds just wonderful! And yes, those are the buckeyes I remember, the large misshapen ones. I had never seen the small marble-like ones till Pop got the land in Oklahoma. I sure do wish I knew where to get a baby buckeye tree to grow. I don't think I've ever seen one in a catalog. That will be something to look for! I hope you get to go back to Belva Deer this year to find more "good luck" :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hey, sugar, I'd love to hear from you! If, for some odd reason, this won't let you comment, please send me a message at mssamwearsdresses@gmail.com. Thanks a ton!

Popular Posts